What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Multi Burner Stove Fuels

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a multi burner stove that will run on most any thing. Leaded fuel is not recomended for health reasons from the lead in the fuel. So I was planning to just fill the bottle with proper stove fuel and that would just get packed with the luggage. Is there any safety concerns with carrying it in the plane with substantial altitude changes? The bottles are just .6L and designed to be pressurized. Curious as to what others do to carry stove fuel for aircraft camping.

Thanks

Well, the normal thing when carrying fluids aloft is to fill the bottle as full as you can, minimize the air space to reduce the total expansion. Air is what expands, not the liquid.

Fuel, not sure as it will turn to vapor a lot easier????

I usually pack my coleman fuel (primarily naphtha) in the sealed cylinders and then inside a freezer bag. I had some leak once and it tainted my food and clothing, so now I use the belt and suspenders approach. This was just ordinary camping too. Maybe it would address your concerns.

buy a Jetboil

I use a Jetboil. very light weight and very efficient. small cans of fuel go a long way.

... Leaded fuel is not recomended for health reasons from the lead in the fuel...
I get that, but there will be several thousand 100ll burning planes around you - many running - during this week. Is carrying that flammable liquid in your baggage a lower risk than possible exposure to the lead in your stove exhaust (place it downwind)? Just thinking out loud.

I get that, but there will be several thousand 100ll burning planes around you - many running - during this week. Is carrying that flammable liquid in your baggage a lower risk than possible exposure to the lead in your stove exhaust (place it downwind)? Just thinking out loud.

It's a good point. I bought for the intentions of just using the 100LL from the plane. Then I read about why I should not use 100LL. I did not want to carry fuel in the cabin but, when it says if you only have leaded fuel, best eat a cold meal, that concerns me more.

I like the zip lock bag idea.

I've used a similar stove for years, carrying it in my plane. I also carried a metal fuel bottle filled with Coleman fuel for it. With a bit of care, there haven't been any leaks. More recently I've been using those small propane cans with more worries but no leaks or issues.

I often climb to 17,500. It's fine. The stoves and fuel containers are designed for use considerably higher than that on expeditions.

Dave

Realitive dange

The RV-12 carries a tank 100 times the size, made of much thinner material, filled with just-as-flammable liquid fuel it the baggage compartment all the time.
I'm not going to worry too much about 12 oz of fuel in a steel pressure container when I'll have 40 gal of 100LL separated from my left knee by .0050 worth of aluminum.

Put it in a Ziploc bag so it doesn't leak on your carpet.

I too like my jet boil. We purchased the sumo large size for two. Does 90% of what we need, very hot and fast.

Just don't try using it for jiffy pop!

34pasuv.jpg

My stove works well with Coleman fuel or unleaded auto fuel.

Leaded fuel suposedly clogs the jet, although I have used it in a pinch.

I have frequently used a SVEA 123 stove for aircraft camping, because I purchased the stove back in the sixties for backpacking and, well, I still have it. BTW, If you are familiar with that stove, you are OLD...

It loves Coleman fuel, and it runs on 100LL. However just like the plugs in a plane, you have to clean the the orfice (nozzle) after every use, because when it cools down at the end of a cooking session, the lead completely plugs the hole. Every time.

As long as you don't lose the tool to clean the orfice, not a big deal. And using fuel out of the wing makes for one less thing to pack.

My stove works well with Coleman fuel or unleaded auto fuel.

Leaded fuel suposedly clogs the jet, although I have used it in a pinch.

I have frequently used a SVEA 123 stove for aircraft camping, because I purchased the stove back in the sixties for backpacking and, well, I still have it. BTW, If you are familiar with that stove, you are OLD...

Yep, still have a couple Optimus 8r stoves from the same era.

Back