What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM A23 problems

Bud K

Well Known Member
I picked up a used Icom A23 handheld radio this weekend from an estate sale. The radio seems to work fine until I push the transmit button. The red LED briefly flashes then the unit immediately powers off. The battery is about half charged so I was thinking that the power draw for transmission was too great and it shut down. Is that theory correct or should I have an avionics shop take a look? Any recommendations for avionics shops who handle Icom handhelds?

Sounds like the battery -- and the battery might be at end of life if charging it has little to no effect

Icom A23

I would say it's definately the battery, I've got an A23 and I'm on my 4th battery pack, this thing eats batterys. Plenty of places to buy replacements online.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The radio came with 2 760mAh batteries and one, new 1450mAh, nickel metal hydride battery, but the wrong wall charger. Only one of the 760mAh batteries has any power. I have a trip to Corona planned this week and will stop by Aircraft Spruce and buy a new wall charger and give it a try.

Problem solved

Batteries. Radio now works fine with the right charger. Thanks for the suggestions.

ICOM PROBLEMS TOO

I've got an ICOM handheld too ( ICOM A-6 )and I have been using it very really and now when I put it on the charge ( about a quarter full ) it just stay there....

Is it the charger acting up or the battery has mentioned above???

Also any link on where to get a new battery for a good price ( In Canada if possible )

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Back