What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Holy cow I have an Engine

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I have an engine in my shop, what a great day!:D

Its a Superior Vantage IO-360. It was built in 2007 and has been sitting in the box for the past 6 years, 0 hrs SFN. I found it two weeks ago; flew up to take a look at it, and then hired an A&P IA to do an inspection and re-pickle it. It checked out great, and now here it sits in my garage; picked it up this week.

I am pretty pumped:D

Just as a data point for others, I paid $19k.

Last edited:
So inquiring minds always want to know... How did you discover this engine? Sounds like a sweet deal.

I have an engine in my shop, what a great day!:D

Its a Superior Vantage IO-360. It was built in 2007 and has been sitting in the box for the past 6 years, 0 hrs SFN. I found it two weeks ago; flew up to take a look at it, and then hired an A&P IA to do an inspection and re-pickle it. It checked out great, and now here it sits in my garage; picked it up this week.

I am pretty pumped:D

Just as a data point for others, I paid $19k.

Nice! I know the feeling. Picked up my new Lyke from the factory in 2008 for the same price. It's mid time engine now :D

Congratulations, Jeremy! It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? I picked mine up last July 29th, and I still have a smile on my face when I think about it. It's a huge milestone, and getting a sweet deal makes it all even better. :)

Where to find such a great deal?

Jeremy,

I have been looking for exactly the engine you just found at such a great price. How in the world did you do it? All I can find for a good price is the stuff that Wentworth is selling.

How about you Vlad. How did you manage such a great deal. Was it a factory new engine?

Please share!

Antony

Jeremy,

How about you Vlad. How did you manage such a great deal. Was it a factory new engine?

Please share!

Antony

It was a factory deal Antony. It's their simplest engine. Solid crank and mags. 19K and some change in 2008 prices.

Keep looking...

This sounds like a great deal. it's a little early for me to start seriously thinking about an engine but I do find myself poking around. I'm wondering if the group could provide some comments on what should be done in a case like this where an engine has been sitting around for a little to verify that indeed it is in good condition. Given my current knowledge of engines I might be afraid to make a similar purchase even though it could be a savings of 5K or so over a new engine.

Really great deals can also come across eBay, if you're watching at the right time, the moon is full, the wolf is howling, and you happen to have a silver bullet.

I had a watch list set up for "Lycoming 320" in my eBay account since I started building over a year ago. Out of the blue, a guy had an IO(!!!)-320, 2 SMOH, ~1800 TT, that was originally off a Citabria of his, that's been sitting for going on 6 years now. He sold it to me, basically FWF, for $8k! It was looked over, paperwork matched with the parts overhaul work at ECi, and passed inspection by some guys at my airport when it got here. Nothing wrong with it at all. Seemed too good to be true.

The guy was just getting out of flying completely, medically disqualified, and had tried to sell it years before, with no bites.

Right place at the right time...

He has more engines

Hey guys, he has more engines but I am still working out some details with him on a starter. We had a "gentleman's agreement" that he would supply a starter, but he has mysteriously stopped answering my phone calls or emails. I am sure there is more to the story but I don't want to 1. Give him more business, or 2. recommend him to someone else till we get get this issue solved. I'll keep you posted. If I never hear from him again at least I got the engine in great shape so I not really out that much, it just seems shady. His communication was great before I bought the engine, then once he got the check, it would take him days to get back to me. :mad:

Back