What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap panel clock , Cool !

HIIFLY

Well Known Member
I bought this wrist watch on /bay for $17.00 shipped to me in 3 days ! It comes with plastic wrist bands which I removed , then I cut off the 4 mounting stubs and filed them flat nicely , I then took a brush and some touch up black satin paint and touched up the areas where I removed the wrist band mounts . This watch is battery powered with an aluminum case The name of it is " Infiltrator by Infantry . I think it is perfect for the panel in my RV-8 , AND THAT IS WHERE IT IS GOING ! :D . I just thought I might share this with all of you because it looks like an altimeter and goes good in a panel .
RV-8PHOTOS062.jpg

Dang! That looks good

I just ordered it direct from the company for $15.98, which included shipping.
What a great idea. It will go straight into my 8A panel.

Mounting ?

I might just mount it on the frt. side of the panel ?? Or you could mount it behind and drill a hole to the rt. to expose the setting knob , use a micro flat screw driver to pop it out , turn it with the screw driver then push it back in. Maybe we could all put our heads together and figure this out . HELP !

Bezel diameter?

What is the outer diameter of the bezel? I am thinking about mounting it to 2 1/4" modified blank and installing in a vacant 2 1/4 hole in my panel.

Bezel Dia.

The clock face circular hole is 1 5/8" in dia.
the 4 mounting holes are 1 7/64" center to center .
The width of the out side case is 1 13/16" :)

You would plan your installation so you could easily remove it twice a year and set the time. A trim ring with a small amount of Velcro would work.

Why not just set it to Zulu, I mean GMT, and forget about it until,the battery dies in about 4 years.

OK, I could not stand it any longer, have one on the way as well, straight from the company. At my age, I am not too worried about how to reset it.

Make caution, instruction as may be from Janglish!

"-Precisious japanese quartz movement
--Alloy-structure case
--24 hour marking
--Black painted coating finishing"

:)

I wanted to add some analog to my digital panel

Here is how I mounted my $17 watch. It survived a .6 hr test flight the other day.

clock.jpg

You are lucky, mine arrived, dead on arrival, never ticked a tick. I am waiting for replacement, I think they said they would just send me the guts of the watch.

You are lucky, mine arrived, dead on arrival, never ticked a tick. I am waiting for replacement, I think they said they would just send me the guts of the watch.

Good luck with your second try..... I have had mine for about 2 weeks now and it is still right on to the sec.

Thanks for the tip on the watch.

I have no need for a clock in the plane, but I'm always on the watch (pun intended) for a good watch with LARGE numbers. Every one I own has teeny-tiny little numbers, bunches of dials and stuff -- it would be nice to have one that JUST TELLS TIME and I can read without my glasses!

I think I just found it, thanks! :D

Looks Great !

WOW that looks Great !
Now if you drill a Hole to the rt. of 3 o'clock Big enough to view the STEM , 3/16" or so , you could use a eye glass screwdriver to pry the STEM "out"
then rotate the STEM till the time is set , and pry/push the STEM back in and VOILA the time can be set ! :)

Another fail

I received one DOA as well. Seller suggested replacing the battery, but I pushed back. Awaiting replacement.

M

can we recommend the best source?

Wow! so far about 30% failure rate! I was considering ordering about 5, hoping a couple would work.
I suppose these all come from the same plant out 'east', but can we name the source, so perhaps the next 50 guys can avoid this batch of lemons? ( or the total lack of testing etc.!)
as cool as these are, it would be more than disconcerting if you looked up, and the thing showed the same time as it did on takeoff......2 hours later! I expect most everyone is using a better way to time their actual fuel consumption, right!?!?
(..........such as................???????????)

I received my replacement yesterday, running fine. The company corrects errors quickly and politely.

Wow! so far about 30% failure rate! I was considering ordering about 5, hoping a couple would work.
I suppose these all come from the same plant out 'east', but can we name the source, so perhaps the next 50 guys can avoid this batch of lemons? ( or the total lack of testing etc.!)
as cool as these are, it would be more than disconcerting if you looked up, and the thing showed the same time as it did on takeoff......2 hours later! I expect most everyone is using a better way to time their actual fuel consumption, right!?!?
(..........such as................???????????)

It's a novelty..... Just use it for local time.

Let's see what happens to them when your engine shakes the sh*t out of them for a few hours......:eek:

My new watch!

Well, my new watch arrived and it's ... BIG. Not used to such a large watch. However, looking like a panel instrument will allow me to at least dream of flying Smokey while the weather around here stinks ...

watch_zps3b8972bd.jpg

Back