What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Dimensions

Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I have looked everywhere but can't find these two

Horizonal Stab length with and without tips
Main gear outside of tire to outside of tire

If someone get a chance would appreciate it.
I am planning openings in shop.

thanks
Bert:)

You need door 8 feet wide to roll it out. 7.5 and you have one inch clearance on both sides. Remember the axle and nut on it needs a bit more clearance then tire to tire if you are tight.

Last edited:
While we are at it, what is the floor to VS tip clearance in a RV-9? Also doing layout, but on a hangar.

Just What I Needed

Thanks Vlad and Bruce, gets me what I need to figure
door and work area. Gonna do the tail in one spot the
finish in carport..closed in temp.

How do ya'll feel about fitting the wings at home then installing
again at the airport? Any thing bad on doing it that way?

Thanks again

Thanks again

Feels good and gives you peace of mind for couple years.

fittingwings.jpg

"Do as much as possible where it's accessible"

Best advice I received was to do as much as possible at home, before moving to airport.
Vlad knoweth whereof he speaks.

Let me know if you need "test fit" bolts for wings- mine may still available, rather than using your almost-interference-fit final assembly bolts.

Also strongly suggesting paint at home, if possible.
You'll get greater control, coverage, & satisfaction painting assemblies (wings, VS, HS...) vice the entire airplane. Vlad may weigh in on the virtues of paint before flight as well...;)

Thanks

Thanks Ron and Vlad....glad to see it was not too tight in your
shop Vlad....wow, that's close.
I have a video showing how to install the wings. The rear spar seems
to be the most critical with the incident. I just didn't know if things
change over time during construction.
Ron...I'm not much of a painter but have mentally been working on
if I could paint the plane myself. I know absolutely nothing about
the different paints. The only thing I have looked at is the Stewart
System paints.
Have a good way to go before I have to worry about that.
Thanks to both of ya'll.

While we are at it, what is the floor to VS tip clearance in a RV-9? Also doing layout, but on a hangar.
Mike-Just got down there today to check. Mine is 71" from floor to tip of VS. I have a Bell tailwheel fork so if you're using the stock Van's fork your VS would probably be an inch or two shorter still. Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve -

Very helpful! Need to fit the RV, once it is completed, into a hangar with a Luscombe. You confirmed what I thought: I need to raise the Luscombe in order for the RV to slide under the wing. Will be a fun project once that day comes.

Mike

Mike-Just got down there today to check. Mine is 71" from floor to tip of VS. I have a Bell tailwheel fork so if you're using the stock Van's fork your VS would probably be an inch or two shorter still. Hope this helps.

Bert, I'm building a 7A, but same concept. I don't have room in my little 20' x 20' garage workshop for the wingspan. So I chose a nice day and took it outside in the driveway to mate the wings.

P1000477%20(Medium).JPG

It actually took me two sessions like this before I got those critical rear spar holes drilled, because I had to do some micro-trimming on the rear spar. But it was fun! One of the best memories so far in the build. :) I'll tell you... when you assemble an aircraft in your driveway, in the middle of a residential neighborhood, it's... ummmm... a VERY interesting experience. I'll just say that.

Once this was done, I was able to arrange things inside my shop for remaining tasks on one wing at a time. Things like the wing root fairings, fuel lines, fitting the flap pushrods, etc. All those little tasks.

P1000599%20(Small).JPG

I'm very happy that I have all this work done, while still here at home. The wings are back in the rack, and things have returned to "normal" but I'm glad I did it here.

Great!

Thanks Bruce, just what I needed to see. You and Vlad had a tight
go of it on building. I will be close, I am running my wife out of
the carport during the build.
The mating of the wings is critical and not having any experience I just
didn't have a feel for removal and then install...if it goes back to where
you first did the fit. But if you are working with metal and its right the
first time should be the same when you bolt it up for good.
Thanks again Bruce, sure appreciate you taking the time to post
the pics.

Back