What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh 2021 parking

Al 1976

Even though I sold my RV-10 kit I have kept my tools and still interested in building. I would like to visit Oshkosh a day early on Sunday before the official show starts to watch the mass arrivals of planes and walk around the home built camping section. I will be driving in and not flying. Is there admission for getting in the show on Sunday or would I be able to show up and walk around as if I remember you have to have a wristband on for the show? Where is the best place to park the paid parking lots on the west end of the field?

Based on an on-site survey done in 2019, the parking and tram routes have been completely re-done, along with a whole bunch of other stuff. Read all about how things will work this year at https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure.

Based on what I've heard at the monthly Chairman's conference calls, you can expect to park in the new Gray Lot which will have tons of buses going to the show. Don't know how aggressive the schedules will be on Sunday. Also, you can expect that the exhibit areas will not be open to the public on Sunday so that the exhibitors can finish setting up.

And while we all can probably find something to complain about if we look hard enough, after 30+ years of observing the operation from somewhat behind the scenes, including seven years on the Homebuilt Aircraft Council and 10+ years as Awards Chairman (nothing to do with judging), AirVenture has a lot of very smart, very knowledgeable, very dedicated volunteers working the details. Not perfect, of course, but very impressive. I'm continuously amazed at how many constraints have to be juggled to get *anything* done, just because there are so many groups with so many different needs.

As for wrist bands on Sunday, prices, early wristband purchases, etc., all that's on the web site and is left as an exercise for the reader, as the math books used to say.

Have a great time!

Ed has got it right on parking, a LOT of improvements been made to the Gray lot (NW corner of Camp Scholler) and that will be primary public parking and now has an entrance directly off Poberezney Rd. The former Blue lot will now be vendor and permit only parking.

Admission wristbands are required starting the Sunday prior to show start. It used to be a combined Sunday/Monday wristband but changed to just read Monday. That change was made 2-3 years ago for expectation management since the show doesn’t actually start until Monday.

Thanks for the info. I will look on the website and purchase a wristband for Sunday and the days of the show I will be there. Allen

The Monday wristband will also get you in on the Sunday prior to the show. The Sunday wristband would be for the last day of the show…

Back