What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil pressure numbers..........

turbo

Well Known Member
i have put in a new OP sender for my EIS system. i am getting 40 psi taxiing and 60 psi in flight. how are these numbers compared to others? thanks. :)

15 Degrees lower than I'd see on a hot day. What'd the look like before the sender was changed?

I went from Rochester Gauges to a GRT EIS 4000 and my indicated pressure dropped by about 5 PSI. My oil temperatures also dropped.

No telling which set of gauges was more accurate.

OIL PRESSURE

I like to see 75# on a Lycoming. Some very good evidence that higher is even better for valve train lubrication.

Adjust

Sounds like you need to adjust the oil pressure on the engine. If you're seeing 60 psi I recommend 1 full turn clockwise then test fly.

This adjustment is common

Oil pressure

Hey Turbo ( pickle ball king), you could t-in an inexpensive oil pressure
Guage from an auto store, compare the values then adjust the offset programing
In the EIs to equal the auto pressure guage, or at least compare the difference. Can help you with this. If they both reflect low values, then consider adjusting the mechanism on the engine.

I went from Rochester Gauges to a GRT EIS 4000 and my indicated pressure dropped by about 5 PSI. My oil temperatures also dropped.

No telling which set of gauges was more accurate.

Similar here. I was getting 70+ PSI hot with the Dynon. GRT EIS is showiing mid 60's with the same sensor. Once it gets warm, I will connect my differential pressure gauge (aviation compression tester) directly to the sensor (clamp on some hose to connect them). That will tell me how accurately it is reading the pressure.

I think the consensus is that 70 psi is the recommended low end for cruise OP, though lycoming states 60 as the minimum.

Larry

i have a mechanical pressure gauge that has been rock solid forever at 75psi on both old and new engine. the plane was built with both gauges. sounds like the eis is reading low so a tweek will help. looks like a call to the man. :D
IMG_0501.jpg

Hey Turbo ( pickle ball king), you could t-in an inexpensive oil pressure.

Tee in a calibrated pressure gauge, anything else does not help. I have seen new uncalibrated, un certified gauges 30psi off. Go to your local A&P, he should have a calibrated gauge to use

Back