What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parking brake

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
Hello fellow RV'rs,
Looking for advice on installing a parking brake. How about the parking brake listed in Vans catalog. Is it a good system? What about the PV-1 valves cost and where to get it? I'm using chocks now just wonder total cost, time for installation and how well it work.
Thanks
Mike

The Matco hydraulic parking brake valve works well and isn't too outrageous in terms of cost. Actuation via a simple bowden cable makes installation fairly straightforward.

It works well enough to temporarily hold the plane until you can get chocks in, but in 200 hours, I've never used it once. Would probably leave it out next time.

The Matco hydraulic parking brake valve works well and isn't too outrageous in terms of cost. Actuation via a simple bowden cable makes installation fairly straightforward.
You will have to some planning of your panel to make sure you can route the cable and install the T handle in a good location.

It works well enough to temporarily hold the plane until you can get chocks in, but in 200 hours, I've never used it once. Would probably leave it out next time.
I'm mixed on this. In 650 hours I use it, but not very often but when I need it, I need it! Living in the Carolinas, there are a lot of ramps that are not level and more than once I have shut the plane down only to find myself rolling on the uneven ramp. That's when I set the brake, get out, chock the wheels, and release the parking brake. Occasionally, I'll leave the parking brake set. (Sometimes when on a busy ramp and I don't want the ramp rats moving the plane.)

Its actually pretty easy to install and as Steve says its no replacement for chocks but it really comes in handy if you have to stop on any kind of incline and get out of the airplane to chock the wheels.

I'm mixed on this. In 650 hours I use it, but not very often but when I need it, I need it!

Its actually pretty easy to install and as Steve says its no replacement for chocks but it really comes in handy if you have to stop on any kind of incline and get out of the airplane to chock the wheels.

These are both good points. Although I've never needed it as I mentioned above, I too put it in knowing that there might come a time when I would really need it. Maybe someday I will. It's cheap enough and easy enough to install (while building) that, on second thought, maybe I would do it again. I wouldn't put the handle on the panel though. I think I'd probably put it down on one of the fuselage side bulkheads by my knees.

When I mounted mine I used a simple bowden cable and I put the handle on the vent panel on the pilot side. That allows me to reach the brake without actually climbing up on the wing to release the brake. Obviously you cant set the brake without being in the airplane to apply pressure to the system but releasing the brake is a different matter.

Last edited:
Park Brake

It's high on the list of things I want. Still in the middle of rebuild but I'm thinking of putting the T handle on upper left corner of the panel to make it easy to reach from the ground and easy to see if it's on or off.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

It's high on the list of things I want. Still in the middle of rebuild but I'm thinking of putting the T handle on upper left corner of the panel to make it easy to reach from the ground and easy to see if it's on or off.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

That is exactly where mine is. I put it there so that it would cover the air speed indicator, when set. The idea being that I would not try to taxi or take off, with brake set, even a little.

Just remember, if you have a tip-up, to put it low enough that the bracing doesn't hit the cable when the canopy is closed.

It a "brake pressure holder"

Be advised the parking valve is not a brake. It is a valve between the brake pedal and the piston at the caliper which is intended to be closed while holding foot pressure on the pedals, thus holding the pressure so you can momentarily remove your feet from the pedals. If/when the the pressure leaks past the valve, you will not be able to apply more brake pressure if needed until you open the valve again. Therefore not a good idea for run-ups.

Bevan

This is what I have installed and it has been working great, I use it all the time specially at start up/run up area where I might be a bit distracted with preflight list or other setup.

I definitely would not count on it for this. However, your feet should always be on the brakes during run-up anyway.
It all depends on what RMP do you run your run up. Mine can hold easily at 1800+ RPM.
The question would be for how long?
The answer to that is long enough, as my run up at 1800+ is only for a min or so. But I use it so I can do other task/setup while my engine is running at or slightly above idle.

Be advised the parking valve is not a brake. It is a valve between the brake pedal and the piston at the caliper which is intended to be closed while holding foot pressure on the pedals, thus holding the pressure so you can momentarily remove your feet from the pedals. If/when the the pressure leaks past the valve, you will not be able to apply more brake pressure if needed until you open the valve again. Therefore not a good idea for run-ups.

Bevan

This statement is not quite true. The valve has a check-valve type function, so you can have the valve closed and add pressure by pressing on the brake more. It won't let pressure out until you open the valve, but you can add pressure with the valve closed.

Therefore, if you wanted to, you could set it for run-up but also be able to increase braking if needed once its set. I don't think that is advisable though. During run-up, you really shouldn't be doing much of anything else that would preclude keeping your feet on the brakes.

Check out the parking brake on a Cessna 150. Also, the Piper PA28 series has a very nice parking brake that can be built into the RV's for the cost of one used master cyl and a little thought.

I didn't install one either, saved weight/$$/complexity. I never used them in the factory airplanes and they usually didn't work all that great.

Then I pulled in front of my hangar on a typical windy Kansas day, the airplane wouldn't stay put unless I had my feet on the brakes. I eventually let the airplane weathervane into the wind (pointing downhill) and roll off the ramp and into the soft mud/grass.

I'm still not going to install a parking break in this plane, if I still have the same hangar my next one will probably have a parking brake.

Definitely a "nice to have" option

I've used mine more than a couple of times on various ramps to give me time to get out and chock the wheels on unlevel surfaces.

Here are a couple of photos of my installation.
IMG_1850-M.jpg

IMG_2004-M.jpg

IMG_2821-M.jpg

IMG_2822-M.jpg

My only issue is really how close the parking brake handle comes to the side skin. It can be akward to reach down with your left hand and get your fingers around the handle to push the release button.

IMG_2824-M.jpg

A microswitch tells the EFIS whether the parking brake is set or not.

This statement is not quite true. The valve has a check-valve type function, so you can have the valve closed and add pressure by pressing on the brake more. It won't let pressure out until you open the valve, but you can add pressure with the valve closed.

OK, not sure if mine has that feature. I don't recall seeing that written in the description, nor do I recall seeing the ports labeled for orientation as they would have to be if there was a check valve inside. Is the check valve standard on all parking brake valves? Mine is an older type (Matco I think)with the inlet/outlets arranged 90 degrees from each other. Cannot find an old drawing on the web. Anyone point one out to me?

Bevan

Hi Bevan,

Mine is also the old Matco with the inlets and outlets 90 degrees from each other. There is a label on the valve body that indicates the flow direction.

In the manual, it actually describes operating it by closing the brake valve first, then stepping firmly on the pedals to pressurize the circuit. Try it.

Here is the URL for the installation drawing for it:http://static.veracart.com/matco/item_pdfs/2634/document1.pdf

Note the arrow showing "flow to brake" and the arrow showing "from M/C" (master cylinder).

To the OP:
I have to say, I wasn't sure I would use mine, but installed it on recommendation from a friend. I'm glad I did. I've probably used it 5 times in 5 years, but when I do, I'm really pleased I have it.

Last edited:
Bruce,

When you secured the valve to the firewall - did you also use a doubler plate on the forward side of the firewall ? Looks to me as if the bracket is secured with -3 rivets ?

No doubler on the firewall. I don't think it needs the extra strength. The parking brake valve isn't heavy, and it is right next to one of the firewall angles which helps support the stainless steel firewall material.

If you've ever experienced that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach as you turn around to see your unattended airplane rolling toward the fuel pumps, you'll know why some folks opt to install a parking brake. They really do come in handy for those times when you need to temporarily secure the airplane from rolling away from you.

And then there was that time when I had parked a 172 on a ramp dotted with patches of black ice... I hopped out of the airplane, unlocked the baggage door and, in reaching into the baggage area to retrieve the chocks, slipped on the ice and went down in a heap. I sat up just in time to have the horizontal stabilizer whack me on the back of the head as the airplane started rolling away from me, pushed by an arctic blast of wind. Yeah, not one of my better days in aviation. A functional parking brake would have been handy in that situation!

Thanks !

and would I be correct in saying that you used countersunk -3 rivets to secure the braket to the firewall ? Looks that way from the shop head ...

I have the Matco handbrake. It works great. It's windy where I live and I use it a lot. Highly recommended.

I think most pilots would see the benefit of having a parking brake but it's another little project in itself and I suspect many builders just don't want to spend the money or the time on the installation.

Back