What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6(A) Fuel Filters

koupster

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed fuel filters under the wing root fairings(between the tank and the fuselage)?
How did it work ? Pictures?
Mine are just forward of the spar on the cockpit floor. Removal to check the screens is difficult because of their position, and the possibility of fuel spills on the carpet is another drawback.
Thanks, David

Danny King did, and I followed his method. I think I posted the whole thing in a thread here. It would have been about 2 years ago. PM me if what JanRVUK sends does not help and you can't find the thread. It took an afternoon and the filters are easy to get on line. I have not had a clogged fuel injector since installing them.

Use extreme caution!

As has been discussed here repeatedly........ Self designed fuel systems are a major cause of engine stoppage accidents.
Numerous accidents have been caused by the use of in line filters that would not pass water. Once they became overwhelmed with water they stopped passing fuel.

Fuel filters

Despite the possibility of having an assy error I use a filter that can be inspected and cleaned. A stainless steel screen filter will not swell and does pass water and fuel. They are available various sizes of screen.

One consideration is how much debris a filter will hold before it stops passing enough fuel to function. I recommend using a finger strainer style element, despite the size of the filter body. These have considerably more area than the small "cone" style filters commonly seen in the auto world.

As has been discussed here repeatedly........ Self designed fuel systems are a major cause of engine stoppage accidents.
Numerous accidents have been caused by the use of in line filters that would not pass water. Once they became overwhelmed with water they stopped passing fuel.

Suggested fitting a Andair Gasculator in each wing root ...

A gascolator collects water, a filter stops dirt. Low point drains take care of water, the filter takes care of debris. I don't see how adding a second layer of water protection helps anything. If someone does not drain the low points in the tanks the gascolator in the wing root will just delay the inevitable.

There are a lot of what if's that can get you conflicted and prevent making a decision. Paralysis by analysis. What I know is I had partially clogged injectors 3 times in 400 hours of flying before I put the filter in. That is not a lot but when it happens it seems like a significant event. Power goes down, engine runs rough and the pilot starts sweating.

When an injector clogs, changing tanks does not correct the conditions. In the unlikely event a wing root filter gets clogged, changing tanks will probably will correct things at least for a while. I will most likely get a smooth running engine and can make a precautionary landing at a location of my choosing.

I have had no clogged injectors in the 200 hours since installing the filters in the wings. I sump both tanks before every flight and after every fill up and have had zero problems with water in the tank. It helps that my plane is hangered except when traveling.

Here are some links to threads on the cubject.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=42681&highlight=4ILA+fuel+filter

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=84708&highlight=fuel+filter+wing+root

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=102578&highlight=fuel+filter+wing+root

Water can enter a fuel system in more ways than just from an airplane sitting outside in the rain.

A improperly assembled RV tank can trap water that wont migrate to the sumping low point on its own, but can in flight.

From past history, it is obvious that not everyone fully thinks through all of the possible ramifications of a fuel system modification. That is the main point of my post.

Not questioning any single persons choice to do something different. Just trying to emphasis that probably every single person that has had an engine failure as a result of a fuel system modification, made their modification because they thought they were making the system safer/better.

If people choose to modify, I suggest they do some serious research. Make sure you are not changing for a problem that is not a real problem, and possibly inducing others that you are not even aware of.

One question I've always had about my (pretty stock Vans) fuel system is whether one needs a filter/gascolator before the facet fuel pump. The Facet fuel pump literature says yes, but Van's does not provide provision for that. Any thoughts?

Totally going from memory so I could be wrong, but I am remembering that the Facet documentation doesn't specify anything specific regarding micron level for the filtration.

I consider the screens on the fuel tank pick-up tubes to be a high enough level of filtration to protect fuel pumps and fuel flow transducers.
I think operation history of the RV fleet is proof of that.

Reaching into the cobwebs here I believe I recall seeing that Facet recommends a 74 micron filter on the inlet.

On the certified airplanes I have owned none had a fuel filter. However the gascolator has a fine mesh screen used as a filter and is cleaned annually at the annual inspection. The gascolator on my RV6 has a fine mesh screen that I clean at condition inspection. I would assume that all gascolators have the screen also.

Back