What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vacuum pump nut install question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Hello all, I am installing my pump on an IO 360 Lycoming. I have 3 of the nuts on but the 4th is stumping me. Does any one have any tricks or tips they care to share? I know they offer wrenches but do they work and are they needed? Spruce has a Lycoming and a Rapco wrench.
Thanks in advance!

The vacuum pump wrench works and it is needed. Save yourself the heartache and get the right tool. I'm sure some clever people have figured out alternate ways to do it, but I couldn't. Your vacuum pump will eventually fail and it sure will be nice to have it then.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

I bought the rapco wrench. Even with the wrench it was a pain. I couldn't imagine doing that 4th nut without the wrench.

I bought the rapco wrench. Even with the wrench it was a pain. I couldn't imagine doing that 4th nut without the wrench.

It can be done but it ain't easy. I have an alternator on the vaccum pump pad in lieu of a pump and the RAPCO wrench doesn't work. Once you get the nut on, not easy in and of itself, it's small (like one flat at time) movements with an open-end wrench reaching up blind until it's done. Torque is via the German method -- Gutentightenough.

first step is type dynonavionics.com or garmin.com in your computer then go to the shop button.:D

use a screwdriver or long drift and a hammer and tap it in place. do this nut first then do the opposite nut next. been doing them that way for years, its the easiest way I have found. the special wrenches don't work all that well.

bob burns

Thanks for the info. I found a post on the Comanche flyer website for a homemade tool that holds the nut in place so it can be rotated with a long screwdriver on to the stud. It is made form a hacksaw blade with a piece if bolt thread attached to the end. I am going to try to make one tomorrow.

Put the nut on a magnet and insert on end of stud. Push the vacuum pump up against the pump to hold the nut in place. Use a screw driver to spin the nut. It's quick easy and works every time.

Back