What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement 9A nose gear leg

C-GTDP

Tough landing in a cross wind on the weekend caused a slightly bent nose gear leg, blown tire, torn up fairings... and a bruised ego...
Firewall forward still requires a full thorough inspection, but I plan to replace every part and piece of hardware from the leg on down at a minimum, even though right now it looks like the leg took the worst of it. My question initially is, it appears that Vans sells the leg undrilled, first, does anyone know if this is true? Pretty sure my original was drilled (maybe it was factory match drilled to the engine brkt?). And if so, anyone have the best way to get the right sized hole in the right place? Hoping that I don't have to match drill to the existing engine brkt. Either in place or removed. I was hoping I can take to a machine shop with my existing leg and duplicate? I plan on talking with Vans on Monday but since it's the weekend thought I would toss it out. Also, anyone else with similar circumstances that wants to give me a heads up on what to inspect and look out for would be appreciated. Plane is 3 years old with ~500 (accident free till now) hours on it.

When I replaced mine, per the relevant service bulletin. I took it to the local machine shop, with the old gear, and they duplicated the hole. You can send it back to Van's but it's not necessary.
Of course if you end up getting a new engine mount you will need the new gear matched to the new engine mount but hopefully you don't need to do that.

My 2010 finish kit leg came pre drilled. you can always go the taper pin route, that's what I will be doing.

Case closed

Talked with the help desk this morning and it appears as if they started mass match drilling in 2005, so all nose gear leg to engine brkts after that time all match. They are sending me a nose gear leg predrilled, Certainly saves some work and grief.

Back