What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle shim to correct toe-in

Bsquared

Well Known Member
At 100 hrs on my RV-14A I am seeing some uneven tire wear and the ground handling has always seemed to be a bit squirrelly. I checked my main wheel tracking and my RH wheel tracks dead straight but my LH wheel has a Toe-in of almost 1.5 degrees. Has anyone had a similar issue and used the Vans or Grove tapered shims to correct it? If yes, did you need to refit the wheel pant?

Last edited:
Toe in

1.5 in not much, easy to fix with Grove shims, you have sticker shock when you see price of his shims. I run 1/2 deg toe in. You do not want any toe out!
And no it will not effect you wheel pants fitting

At 100 hrs on my RV-14A I am seeing some uneven tire wear and the ground handling has always seemed to be a bit squirrelly. I checked my main wheel tracking and my RH wheel tracks dead straight but my LH wheel has a Toe-in of almost 1.5 degrees. Has anyone had a similar issue and used the Vans or Grove tapered shims to correct it? If yes, did you need to refit the wheel pant?

You’ve already done the hard part in figuring out how much you need.
The shims are pretty easy to install. No change to your wheel pants.

Toe Correction

Do a quick search for "toe" and you will find multiple threads on the subject. It seems pretty consistent that zero toe is best but toe out is better than toe in.

Do a quick search for "toe" and you will find multiple threads on the subject. It seems pretty consistent that zero toe is best but toe out is better than toe in.

This is for taildraggers. He has a tricycle!

Back