What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Break Pads/Order Parts

Frankster13

Does anyone have thoughts on break pad parts order. I see that I can get them on the Vans site. Does anyone have a suggestion for other places to order perhaps less expensive and a part number? Seems like all RVs other than the "10" use same pads.

Brakes are PIA

I ordered from Vans so I cant help you there but agree - it is too expensive for what you get.

Maybe I am the only one but I find it a PIA to change the brakes. I can change them on my truck much faster - doing all 4. I have the standard Cleveland system and having to rivet a new pad on is nuts.

Is there a better system where you can just swap out pads and maybe a new rotor like I do on my truck?

I generally buy several RAPCO RA66-106 4 Packs from Aircraft Spruce when I ned pads - that way I always have the “in stock” when one of our airplanes needs them. Those are for the Clevelands of course- if you have Berringers, Groves, or other systems, make sure to check on which pads you need.

ACS Part # 06-00651 at $26.80 a set to do all four pads.

Rockwood - just be glad we’re not still flying with bladder brakes from the old days! ;)

I ordered from Vans so I cant help you there but agree - it is too expensive for what you get.

Maybe I am the only one but I find it a PIA to change the brakes. I can change them on my truck much faster - doing all 4. I have the standard Cleveland system and having to rivet a new pad on is nuts.

Is there a better system where you can just swap out pads and maybe a new rotor like I do on my truck?

You could look at the Swiftline options from Matco (if that's the brakes you have) No riveting required

http://www.matcomfg.com/RelineKitsSwiftline-tp2-12.html

Rockwood - just be glad we’re not still flying with bladder brakes from the old days! ;)

Paul, Im sure things were worse before but the brakes could be improved. The riveting isnt that hard - it just seems so unnecessary and a place to screw up a pretty important part!

I wish I had bought a few lots at Dayton when it was being developed! Every winter I freeze here in Michigan I remember O61 and Dayton.

If the friggen plates for Cleveland were not stupidly expensive, you could have a spare set on the ready. Matco has a service where you send the plates, they populate with new pads, send back for cheap per my 7a flying friend . Matco plates cheap .. not Cleveland….why…?

If the friggen plates for Cleveland were not stupidly expensive, you could have a spare set on the ready. Matco has a service where you send the plates, they populate with new pads, send back for cheap per my 7a flying friend . Matco plates cheap .. not Cleveland….why…?

Because Cleveland is owner by Parker and Parker takes additional contribution to overhead and profit. Cleveland wheels and brakes got crazy expensive once Parker got involved.

Back