What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Build Sequence

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I just received my -14A SB wing kit yesterday after a 13 month wait. :) Looking through the printed instructions, I see they have you start with the main spars, then ribs, then the rear spar, skins, etc. The last components are flaps and ailerons, with tanks and leading edges in the middle. This seems backwards to me, as I then have to store the large wings somewhere for several/many months. Is there any good reason that the control surfaces could not be built first,then the tanks and leading edges, followed by the spars/ribs/skins? This would minimize the time these big wings would have to be stored and risk damage.

You can do the control surfaces at any time. I recommend however you follow the instructions on the wings:
- Spars
- Ribs
- Top skins
- Tanks and leading edge (but these can be done before anything else)
- Bottom skins

Reason - the bottom skins are best done in a wing stand. You need the tanks and leading put the wing in the stands and once the bottom skins are on you cannot rivet the leading edge.

Side note - a completed wing is a lot easier to store than the wings components not assembled.

Carl
17743-ED5-34-CF-456-D-8-B99-7-A94-CC09082-A.jpg

AE6028-E8-9-BDC-4-A25-BB15-868377-FE57-F6.jpg

Build sequence

14 is probably different.
On the 7, you really need the wing in a cradle or jig to get the z-brackets and baffle matched. Ailerons and flaps can be built but it helps to have a complete wing to final drill the flap brace and hinges.

I just received my -14A SB wing kit yesterday after a 13 month wait. :) Looking through the printed instructions, I see they have you start with the main spars, then ribs, then the rear spar, skins, etc. The last components are flaps and ailerons, with tanks and leading edges in the middle. This seems backwards to me, as I then have to store the large wings somewhere for several/many months. Is there any good reason that the control surfaces could not be built first,then the tanks and leading edges, followed by the spars/ribs/skins? This would minimize the time these big wings would have to be stored and risk damage.

You can easily build the smaller pieces first. I would recommend the following for what it’s worth
1- Aileron actuation tubes (the steel needs to be primed so best to do that before it starts to rust)
2- ailerons
3- flaps
4- leading edge
5- fuel tanks
6- wing rib prep (deburring these edges takes a while)
7- spars
8- wing ribs
9- rear spar
10- top skins
11- wiring
12- bottom skins
13- finish work on aileron actuation tubes

Just my method based on a space the size of a 1 car garage. Many variations exist.

Last edited:
Doug, I think you can sequence the wing build however makes sense to you since the control surfaces and fuel tanks are separate components. Your completed wings will be stored for quite some time in any case while you finish the remainder of the plane. Like many others, I built a cradle to safely store and move my wings. One nice thing about having the wings done first, was that I could mount and store the fuel tanks with the wings in the cradle. There were many times during the build where I rolled the wing carriage out onto my driveway to make space in my garage.

inventory first

You may be limited by what components are back ordered from your kit. I had to skip over leading edges and fuel tanks and move onto control surfaces since I didn't have the parts for those yet.

Back