What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airbox for O-320-A2A

jwoolworth

I'm New Here
I have an O-320-A2A on my RV-9A. This is a narrow deck, parallel mount engine with the carburetor in the extreme aft part of the sump. I ordered a Van’s airbox kit for the O-320 but it is not compatible with this engine due to the aft location of the carburetor (the airbox interferes with the engine mount and the nose gear leg). I talked with an A&P who told me that airboxes for this application do exist but I’m not sure where to find one.
Any thoughts or leads?

I’m not sure what box you have by your description. Do you have a picture? The FAB is a tricky part to get right. If it is the same as mine I have some pictures. I have a D2A

I originally had the same issue with my IO-320-E1A. Honestly, if you're willing to go down this route, is to swap out the sump for one that has the airbox intake in the midpoint. Also if it was like mine, it may be that the -A1A also has a vertical oil pickup line inside. That's another very easy thing to swap out - two bolts to take out the tube, a plug to remove to allow oil pickup through the normal in-case pickup, and a new oil pickup screen, etc.

Yes, easiest solution might be what sbalmos suggests because of the tight space between the carb & gear leg.
If you are up for a fiberglass adventure, you could come up with a custom snorkel affair using a K&N conical filter & inlet.
Now would be the perfect timing for Dan H to step in with an elegant solution.

I changed my sump to the more forward carb position but when I bought my RV6A with a O320 B3B (aft position carb) the builder made the FAB work with a custom top plate.

Back