What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life is not Fair

Rick6a

Well Known Member
A few days ago, I was returning to home base after attending a monthly EAA chapter meeting at a nearby airport. Our small airport has only 20 or so planes based on it and because of its lack of services and other less-than-desirable local features, M71 does not exactly lure the casual transient pilot so traffic is almost always very light. You usually end up talking to yourself on 122.9.

Entering the airport traffic pattern was straightforward enough and I dutifully announced a 45 degree pattern entry (left traffic) for downwind to runway Niner. Soon, I announced base leg for Niner, finally announcing "turning final" for Niner. At the moment when my turn to final was almost complete, I quickly noticed a Piper Tri-Pacer to my left that just completed an unusually close-in downwind leg to base turn in front of me and without evasive action, a collision was a virtual certainty. As I banked hard to the right, I radioed "Blue Piper on base to Greensfield, DO YOU SEE THE RV IN FRONT OF YOU?" A moment later, a flustered voice came over the radio, "Ah, yes we see you now, we'll just wait around out here till you land." Having to initiate a go-around, on each leg I doubled my radio reports in a gesture of righteous emphasis "Experimental 307R is NOW on crosswind for runway Niner, that is crosswind leg for runway Niner". And so it went until I landed. As I back-taxied the runway to my hangar, I noticed the Piper making lazy aimless circles out to the west.
Many minutes later, after shut down and "Darla" was gingerly backed into her familiar hangar spot, the Piper finally landed and managed to use all 3200 feet of runway in spite of a considerable breeze out of the east. With my hands on my hips, I watched in bemused anger and amazement as that Piper very, very slowly back-taxied as it headed toward the west end of the field and disappeared behind some buildings. "Let it pass." I said to myself over and over until I calmed down. After sprucing up "Darla" and generally tidying things around the hangar, I locked the door, got into my truck and headed for home. Just before leaving the airport, I spied the Piper sitting on the ramp between two buildings with the passenger door open and two people sitting in it. I quickly wheeled my truck just front of the Piper, got out and walked towards its opened door. At that moment I recognized one of the persons inside occupying the left seat. Containing myself as best I could, I said "Pete, (not his real name), I reported downwind, I reported base, I reported final, and with not one word uttered on the radio, you just cut in front of me....what in the hell was that?" Quickly, the passenger (not an instructor) the owner of the Piper jumped in saying "We are very sorry, we were talking to one another and had the radio turned down. You see, Pete has not flown in quite awhile and I was checking him out in my airplane." I said that had to be some of THE sloppiest pattern work I ever witnessed anywhere, and the plane was mushing around aimlessly with no pretense of any normal pattern discipline. "At least you could have talked on the radio." "I know, I know, we're very sorry, that WAS sloppy."

Here is the upshot: Pete is well known in our area. He is a decorated WW11 and Korean War aviator, was a test pilot and has flown everything from B-17's and C-119's to Korean War era jets including hundreds of hours in an F-86 Saber Jet, a design he once had to eject from. He has more stick time in more high performance military aircraft than most of us will ever know. Pete was among my first delighted passengers in "Darla" after the 25 hour flyoff phase. He is a slightly built and likable fellow who sports a rather large hearing aid that occupies the better part of one ear. Pete has a quick smile, a crisp, clear voice and a basketful of war stories. Because of his credentials, Pete is often asked to speak at local aviation related functions one of which will be the EAA's B-17 visit to the local area in July. What can I say? It is hard to stay mad at a guy like Pete.

Like I said ....life is NOT fair. I suppose a part of personal maturity comes at the cost of understanding that principle as a fundamental fact of life, I mean...... to really UNDERSTAND that.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
You bet!

I take it there is no glider activity in your area? Around here, there are lots of gliders, and those guys are excellent pilots, and even the airbus jocks totally forget how to use the radio when they toss aside their engines for an afternoon of soaring. They claim it ruins the experience to have that noisy radio blaring in their ears. They don't wear headsets, of course.

Since they have the "right of way", you never know when they will appear. And contrary to what you might think, they can fly very fast! If you hit one, no matter what they were doing, it's your fault. I've seen them pop out of a nice, puffy, summer afternoon cumulus at about what seemed like 200kts right at me. They are like birds - you never really know which way they will go, so collision avoidance starts with "Dear Lord..."

Then when it comes to landing, ouch. Those guys come from all over the place. It can be quite fun ducking and diving to avoid them. On good soaring days, I assume I'll have to make a go-around due to a kamakazi glider landing in front of me.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I can empathize!

silent pilots

My homefield is not towered and, of course, radios are not required. On occasion, putt-putt-planes, crop dusters, and transients will make a stealthy approach. I always broadcast, but assume others will not and keep my eyes open for "silent pilots".

Even at towered airports, it is a good idea to keep an eye out: last year a pilot was approaching a local controlled tower and was told by the tower to make right-hand-traffic for 26, the response was "Roger that", the tower repeats the instructions again with a tone of impatience and the response is again "Roger that"(right about then, I am eyes-outside-the-cockpit because this person is obviously not complying and don't care to have a mid-air with this character), five seconds later the tower blasts the pilot with "Piper xxx!! I said make right-hand-traffic for 26!! Do you know your left from your right?! Turn south immediately and leave the pattern, execute a race track 3 miles south of the field and I will call you when I am ready to have you return!!"

Fly safe,

Hey!

rv8ch said:
...They claim it ruins the experience to have that noisy radio blaring in their ears. They don't wear headsets, of course.
Then when it comes to landing, ouch. Those guys come from all over the place. It can be quite fun ducking and diving to avoid them. On good soaring days, I assume I'll have to make a go-around due to a kamakazi glider landing in front of me.

Yeah, I have a bone to pick with you power guys (I've got my PPL too, so don't think I don't know what I'm talking about). We fly a 1 tug, 2 glider operation out of a relatively small airport (CNZ3 - Chatham Ontario). We're on the map, we're in the CFS and people know the rules. We don't use the pavement, we use a 150' wide strip adjascent to the runway. I've still had more than one RV land under me because he didn't want to wait a minute to turn base.

I think it's that both groups need to realize that we need to share the air, but us gliders are big (ours are also painted bright yellow, really hard to miss) and although some can move quick, others aren't so speedy.

Generally we travel in packs from thermal to thermal. If you can avoid the pack, you should be in pretty good shape.

Just remember guys, you have an engine, you can go around, we get one shot. I think that every pilot should have some glider training. It's a different world.

And about not wearing headsets, most solo gliders have a big noisy speaker right next to the pilot's head.

Rick, All

There is more to watch out for at this airport than one airplane! I also fly out of M71 and hangar with Rick6A. As an uncontrolled field this one is a little more uncontrolled than most. Quite a few pilots, even high time experienced airline types use very poor practice when flying around the home 'drome. I guess Ricky got a little wake up call! It has happened to me also. I wouldn't wait until the -8/8A is done Rick to buy that Monroy.

Do unto others

Rick: I, too, have been cut out of the pattern and I have made my share of mistakes in the pattern as well, to the detriment of other pilots. Such is life, and we can all strive to do better. I hope you seek out "Pete" and apologize for your display of righteous temper and invite him to fly your airplane with you. An elder birdman of his stature deserves no less. My grandmother made and sold hand painted china and she kept a china plaque on her kitchen wall that said, "Keep your temper. No one else wants it."
Now for a story. Navy Cmndr. Dave Reese soloed an N3N on floats in the 1930's and spent WW2 flying most everything in the Navy inventory - Corsairs, Hellcats, PBY's, R4D's and probably others. When I met him he had a broken hip and had not flown in over 30 years. I recuited him into the CAP from his hospital bed and later got him current to fly again. Actually, he had never forgotten how to fly, he mostly needed to brush up on the bookwork. He flew orientation flights with cadets for maybe seven years. One day he landed with a cadet and confided to another member that it was time for him to quit flying, and he did. He lived into his 80's. Of his cadets, one is an airline captain, another is a physician's assistant, and another commands a B1B. "Pete" might be a lot like Dave. Help him get back into the cockpit. Steve.

With all our fancy radios we sometimes forget to use our eyeballs. You should have seen the Pacer earlier. Don't forget a lot of guys out there have no radio at all.

Good Observation Rick

If you survive the other person's flying or they survive yours be happy for both of you. Flying to work everyday for 15 years in the Los Angeles basin down amongst the ground clutter under the Class B exposed me to many near misses. It was a common practice of the traffic watch aircraft to use a helicopter frequency for mutual protection and I was broadcasting on the CTAF for the airports. One day a guy got a little testy with me about using the helicopter frequency too because they knew I would be there every morning and every night. I came back I was sorry but I had to use the tower frequencies in the areas I was transitioning. I did start monitoring the helicopter frequency on my #2 comm and I noticed later that the traffic watch pilots (some very good ones I have to add) became more compatible by changing to the CTAF frequencies in those early morning hours before the towers open. The only problem that remained was the IFR and VFR frequency differences for pilots operating in the same airspace. One of life's little attention getter's is flying the VOR-A circle to land approach from the POM VOR to EMT and come out of the overcast at the MDA and see a TV copter at the same altitude right in front of you south bound on the I-605 - both legal and conscientious pilots on a collision course. There should be thoughts of avoidance only - no indignation - as you said let it pass. It was a good lesson - thanks for sharing it.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Rick, having dodged predators lights out at night over Iraq who aren't where they are supposed to be either(on NVG's) at 400 Knots, I too can sympathise, but only to a point. In fighters after a close call we basically say "get over it", do better next time. In your case, I see almost the exact same scenario all the time at backwoods uncontrolled strips, crop dusters landing on taxiways with no radio, students, old farts with the radio off, etc. That's what the definition of VFR is, see and avoid (belly check, belly check). That's why God gave you that big canopy to see out of right? I know that doesn't help, but trust me, it's not worth losing sleep over, (until that first 100mm bullet goes past your canopy....)Been there, done that...
RR

I have a number of hours in J-3's, T-Crafts, Luscombs, and other 65 hp wonders; all with no electrics and no radios.

I can't tell you how many times I have turned final, keeping close to the airport so people can see me only to have some i***t pull out on the runway for departure. It is interesting to look over and see their face as they are 100 feet off the ground and climbing and I'm right next to them doing the same.

No words are needed because the :eek: look on their faces about covers it.

It is not all glider pilots, it is all of us. Who hasn't landed at an airport only to find out they dialed in the wrong frequency or had a radio or headset go bad and couldn't communicate?

Keep your eyes open, expect the worse, and hope for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, lets see, You are flying a non standard "close in pattern" without radios. Maybe the i***t was looking for traffic where he would expet to see it, maybe he has a high wing a/c and you placed yourself into his blind spot, maybe his is not the only idiot?
Tom
norhtern california

Last edited by a moderator:
civility

I would suggest that members refrain from name calling in post replies.
It is supposed to be constructive... not inflamatory.
Once I get called a name.... the topic rapidly changes and focus is lost.
That would be unfortunate.
This is a topic of interest, let's learn from all comments and be civil. OK?

Having learned how to fly out of a grass strip and spending most of my flying time in E & G airspace, my frame of reference may be somewhat different from you ?big city? pilots.

I was taught to always have my head on a swivel, never to believe another pilot?s position report (or anything else they say, either?unless you?re on his/her wing), and never-ever expect another pilot to act the way [you] would.

I?ve seen King-Airs make straight-in approaches, diligently making position reports on the wrong frequency. I?ve seen airline pilots flying their C-185?s in formation, and be so engrossed in admiring each other that they forgot they were flying in a crowded pattern.

If you don?t believe me, take your handheld and listen to the inbound gaggle at Sun-n-Fun or Oshkosh, and tell me that you haven?t been shocked at how some pilots can possibly be so unprepared, unaware and unprofessional.

MY commitment to aviation safety is to expect that YOU are an utter moron until happily proven otherwise. I would respectfully suggest that you do me the same honor. Once you get to know me, you MAY change your mind.

For the record, I have NEVER done anything stupid; in the air, on the ground, in college, or at bachelorette parties.

Having learned how to fly out of a grass strip and spending most of my flying time in E & G airspace, my frame of reference may be somewhat different from you ?big city? pilots.

I was taught to always have my head on a swivel, never to believe another pilot?s position report (or anything else they say, either?unless you?re on his/her wing), and never-ever expect another pilot to act the way [you] would.

I?ve seen King-Airs make straight-in approaches, diligently making position reports on the wrong frequency. I?ve seen airline pilots flying their C-185?s in formation, and be so engrossed in admiring each other that they forgot they were flying in a crowded pattern.

If you don?t believe me, take your handheld and listen to the inbound gaggle at Sun-n-Fun or Oshkosh, and tell me that you haven?t been shocked at how some pilots can possibly be so unprepared, unaware and unprofessional.

MY commitment to aviation safety is to expect that YOU are an utter moron until happily proven otherwise. I would respectfully suggest that you do me the same honor. Once you get to know me, you MAY change your mind.

For the record, I have NEVER done anything stupid; in the air, on the ground, in college, or at bachelorette parties.

Amen on this subject! 🎉🎈👻🎓

Hmmm, lets see, You are flying a non standard "close in pattern" without radios. Maybe the i***t was looking for traffic where he would expet to see it, maybe he has a high wing a/c and you placed yourself into his blind spot, maybe his is not the only idiot?
Tom
norhtern california

I missed this when he posted it. A tight pattern is one where once you pull the power back and you never have to add power to make the runway. I'm guessing Tom here only flies bomber patterns. :rolleyes:

For those of you who have never flown an airplane without a radio, it is a great experience, I suggest you beg, borrow, or steal a ride in a Cub, Champ, T-craft, or whatever. Even if you never plan on flying one again it will teach you to keep your eyes open all the time, especially in the pattern.

One reason this is so important is that it is not uncommon for a pilot to have his radio turned down, tuned to the wrong frequency, or have a radio failure and not be able to transmit. Keep your eyes open and keep your patterns tight, where pilots are trained to look. Remember, the FAA does not consider you in the pattern if you are more than three miles away from the airport. Thus there is no such thing as a five mile final, as I have heard on the radio.

PS. For those flying these older airplanes, using a handheld radio is not an option unless they replace the mags, ignition harness, and spark plugs with shielded units. The original, unshielded ignitions interfere with radio transmissions and render even a handheld inoperable. (Listen, yes. Transmit, no.) While many of these older ignitions have been upgraded, many haven't.

Last edited:
aging post

the post is old.... the topic lives on....
Let's be polite to each other out there.....

Back