What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring in the wings

jamcgee1978

So I’ve just pulled my wiring thru on the right wing :

Dynon roll servo harness

1 shielded 22awg & 2 x 18awg unshielded for the works flyleds lighting

An extra 18awg cable and extra string for future proof

Does this sound ok?

Doesn't the Flyleds works kit use a 4 core shielded cable for Nav / Strobes? Also if you want separate Taxi lights you need an extra 18AWG for that (unless that's one of your 2x 18AWG wires & you're grounding locally).

I'm not sure where Dynon puts these things, but on my Garmin equipped RV-10, I also have the OAT probe and magnetometer located in the wings, and those need wires. And if you install the aileron trim, you need wires for it as well.

Regards,

Yup this is only the right wing so far guys,

in the left I’m installing the dynon heated AOA, Aileron trim and will be running the wires for that next week.

So in the RIGHT wing only:

—The position and strobe circuits only need 3 wire 22AWG shielded wire.

—landing lights need standard (unshielded) 18 AWG wire.

—A single spotlight will be wired as a taxi light, so one more 20AWG for that.

— Cable harness for the Dynon autopilot roll servo

And I’ve left string to pull through any extra and 1 x extra 18awg cable for future

I also installed my magnetometer in the right wing to keep it away from the pitot heat wiring in the left wing.

In my current little avionics rodeo (new ADAHRS in tail of my 10 year old -9A), I found that if the builder had the foresight to run conduit in the wings, it is subsequently a relatively simple process later to run additional or new wiring and/or tubing to the cockpit in that conduit by accessing it at the wingtip or any of the three inspection panels. I used a fiberglass rod wire tool to run both OAT wiring and AOA tubing. Leaving a string or tyvek tape could be helpful too, but other than having to remove the upper part of the wing fairing to access the root where the tubing jumps the gap between wing and fuselage, the $6 11-foot fiberglass wire tool was pretty easy. IMHO...moral of the story is that having readily accessible conduit in the wings is someday going to be a huge help to whoever owns the plane at the time. And I appreciate that the builder used the nylon flexible conduit, which leaves a lot more room inside than the usual PEX ("sharkbite") tubing that some builders use.

Last edited:
... I also have the OAT probe and magnetometer located in the wings, and those need wires.

I'm a VERY new guy when it comes to planning wiring (finishing up my elevators now) but I was curious... Where do you have the OAT probe mounted on your wings? Amongst the ribs inside the wing or does the probe extend externally?

Thanks!

I'm a VERY new guy when it comes to planning wiring (finishing up my elevators now) but I was curious... Where do you have the OAT probe mounted on your wings? Amongst the ribs inside the wing or does the probe extend externally?

Thanks!

The OAT probe needs to be in fresh air, not exposed to hot exhaust gases, cowl exit air, or sunlight.

Find a spot near an access panel, and drill the requisite hole size for the probe you have.

Thanks!

I agree..underside of wing. I mounted mine on the middle access panel. It's a two-wire sensor...I it put on a Molex connector so that I can unplug the sensor/panel during condition inspection and the it doesn't just dangle.

I know that some people prefer mounting it on the fuselage under the horizontal stab.

Back