What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GARMIN AERA 660 interface question

NYTOM

Well Known Member
For those using the AERA660 to drive EFIS?s or Auto Pilots. On initial startup do you have to have some forward motion, ( 1 or 2 MPH) to get your GPS to start sending data to the other equipment? I though I wired it up wrong and have tried everything under the sun to get a signal but now I?m reading online that some GPS units (portables) need movement or a flight plan activated to get data ports working. No mention online of what brands do this. Movement of my plane is impossible at this time but would like to button this up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For those using the AERA660 to drive EFIS?s or Auto Pilots. On initial startup do you have to have some forward motion, ( 1 or 2 MPH) to get your GPS to start sending data to the other equipment? I though I wired it up wrong and have tried everything under the sun to get a signal but now I?m reading online that some GPS units (portables) need movement or a flight plan activated to get data ports working. No mention online of what brands do this. Movement of my plane is impossible at this time but would like to button this up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Tom,

No, the Aera 660 does not require forward motion to start transmitting NMEA.

Note, however, that most GPS units require movement before they have a GPS track to send.

Thanks,
Steve

Great news

Thank you for replying Steve. I have one of those nagging signal problem bugs that should be a simple fix but is driving me crazy and you just eliminated Garmin as the possible culprit.:)

Back