-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:32 PM

[quote=BobTurner;1231260]I agree that a visual AOA display should be up high - a HUD being best. But several of the EFIS based units also put out an audio warning tone (slow beeps, progressing to rapid beeps, progressing to a solid tone just prior to stall). For stall avoidance these work pretty well imho, and let you keep your eyes outside.

Alpha systems AOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6kF6YvUPiA
Old 01-14-2018, 04:46 PM

I have been using on speed aoa for around a year now and really like it .
You can find info on it by typing on speed aoa on you tube.
It uses an arduino board that uses info from a dynon or other products that are similar .
After I got used to using and trusting it I hardly look at the airspeed indicator, which keeps my vision primarily outside where it should be.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Default DIY - Test install

I read the threads on adding a DIY port for AOA input to EFIS (e.g. Dynon), some using a pop rivet under the wing, some a inflation needle.

Since I'm not eager to drill extra holes in the wing skin, this just occurred to me:
In the RV-3 and RV-4 (and probably other RVs) the tie-down hole is just next to the pitot fitting. Drill a small hole in the tie-down bracket (W-422) that will reach near the top of the 3/8" threaded hole. Fit a needle or something into that small hole and tube to AOA port on EFIS

Now you can add a temporary 3/8" fitting of some kind with an alu tube you can bend until you get an acceptable angle (for the EFIS to be able to be calibrated).

By 3/8" fitting I mean something that will screw into the tie-down hole.

When you have found the right angle and are tired of screwing in and removing the test probe to instal the tiedown ring, make a permanent install next to the pitot tube.

Just an idea I'll try out on my Flying RV-3B that has a Dynon 10A in it.

Finn
(too cheap to spend $ on a Dynon pitot tube)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pichon View Post
Hi Wyn,

I just installed the Dynon AoA probe in my completed RV-4 in November. I already had a D10A installed so the display component was a none issue.

I had to remove the tank to run the 2nd pitot line to the Dynon instrument. With the Dynon probe, it is necessary to drill and tap the mast portion to attach to the mounting base installed in a flying aircraft.

In addition, I had to run a wire from the Dynon unit to my intercom and install a potentiometer in the panel to allow me to adjust volume of the audio signals in my headset. The Dynon instructions are pretty good.

I'm still learning how to best use it, but I believe it will be a great addition to my aircraft.

Good luck,
Did you replace the stock Van's pitot tube with the Dynon AOA pitot tube? That's what I want to do in my RV-8. It has the stock Van's pitot tube and need to know if the mount will work or if I have to buy a new mount.

I want to buy this style AOA pitot tube one from Dynon as it looks like the one I have now

https://www.dynonavionics.com/includ...Dimensions.pdf

but if I have to replace the mount I might go with the L style which doesn't extend so low under the wing.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 02-14-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Did you replace the stock Van's pitot tube with the Dynon AOA pitot tube? That's what I want to do in my RV-8. It has the stock Van's pitot tube and need to know if the mount will work or if I have to buy a new mount.

I want to buy this style AOA pitot tube one from Dynon as it looks like the one I have now

https://www.dynonavionics.com/includ...Dimensions.pdf

but if I have to replace the mount I might go with the L style which doesn't expend so low under the wing.
My -4 had a standard AN5812 (L-shaped) pitot tube. The mount for this pitot accepted the Dynon (L-shaped) AoA probe.

My mount looks like this one: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=5714

It was necessary to drill and tap 4 holes into the probe to make the attachment to the mast.

Good luck,

Dean
Old 11-14-2020, 11:06 PM

I am considering jury-rigging an AOA indicator on my plane. I already have a Skyview with an ADAHRS controller, with an open port for AOA. And I already have a heated pitot tube that works great. I suppose all I need to do is drill a small hole in my leading edge just under the cord line, and run a pneumatic tube from the hole to the AOA port? Any tips on how to mount the tube to the inside of the wing skin? I'm guessing the hole should be just near the pitot tube and just below the chord line. Curious if anyone has done this and could share building tips.

I could also install the Dynon product but I'm a little reluctant to mess with the heated pitot that I already have, that works fine.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:44 AM

Default delrin block

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanRush View Post
I am considering jury-rigging an AOA indicator on my plane. I already have a Skyview with an ADAHRS controller, with an open port for AOA. And I already have a heated pitot tube that works great. I suppose all I need to do is drill a small hole in my leading edge just under the cord line, and run a pneumatic tube from the hole to the AOA port? Any tips on how to mount the tube to the inside of the wing skin? I'm guessing the hole should be just near the pitot tube and just below the chord line. Curious if anyone has done this and could share building tips.

I could also install the Dynon product but I'm a little reluctant to mess with the heated pitot that I already have, that works fine.
I have the advanced systems aoa sport which came with some delrin blocks, threaded into a hose connector. Photo here. Glued on with proseal. It also came with some hyper long rivets which I also glued in, but didn't squeeze or buck - too chicken, and seriously not needed. The tubing is very flexible rubbery material - not 100% sure what.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_8791.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	4701
Old 11-15-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanRush View Post
... I already have a heated pitot tube that works great. I suppose all I need to do is drill a small hole in my leading edge just under the cord line, and run a pneumatic tube from the hole to the AOA port? Any tips on how to mount the tube to the inside of the wing skin? I'm guessing the hole should be just near the pitot tube and just below the chord line. Curious if anyone has done this and could share building tips. ...
My situation was similar to yours: heated pitot tube and AOA-ready Dynon SkyView but no AOA probe. I fabricated one in the style of the plans-specified pitot tube and bent the end to a "pleasing angle" downward. It's not really critical; the SkyView AOA calibration compensates for the angle. You can see it in the center of this image along with the pitot tube.

Of course the AOA probe is not heated and it's the first thing to collect ice (and sounds an AOA warning) but that's a feature, not a bug <g>.

--
Joe

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR

Last edited by Joe : 11-15-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:22 AM

Default AOA as a Performance system

Check out our Fly ONSPEED web page at

https://www.flyonspeed.org/

for lots of discussion on using an AOA system for flight performance/energy management as well as Stall Warning.
Member, FlyOnSpeed Team
Sling 4 TSI Tail Done, Fuselage next
2021 Dues Paid, Home Field 18FD
Old 11-15-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
My situation was similar to yours: heated pitot tube and AOA-ready Dynon SkyView but no AOA probe. I fabricated one in the style of the plans-specified pitot tube and bent the end to a "pleasing angle" downward. It's not really critical; the SkyView AOA calibration compensates for the angle. You can see it in the center of this image along with the pitot tube.

Of course the AOA probe is not heated and it's the first thing to collect ice (and sounds an AOA warning) but that's a feature, not a bug <g>.

--
Joe
Interesting. I will probably do something like this. If it freezes over, wouldn’t that lock in the pressure, rendering the AOA more or less invalid? I would imagine if the AOA is frozen or clogged but the pitot is not, AOA would measure lower than actual as one descends after the freeze and higher than actual if one climbs after the freeze. Have you frozen it before and did it alarm right away?

Auto-paying monthly dues