Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM

I had a nervous passenger freak out when both doors popped open in a Tomahawk.
Must add I was the cause of the second door opening when trying to close the first. My passenger was sure we were going to see our maker.
He hasnt flown since.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Post Tetany

Its called Tetany, not well understood, but probably caused by too low CO2 rather than too much O2, either way a result of hyperventilation.

Hans
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Hans is correct. The hyperventilation causes respiratory alkalosis and in turn hypocapnia and altered Calcium levels leading to the muscle tightness or spasm, numbness and/or tingling. Breathing into a paper bag held over the mouth and nose builds up CO2 and corrects the problem if you can get your pax to do it. It's a pretty quick and easy cure. Bill
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 AM

That makes more sense. I couldn't figure out how oxygen toxicity could occur under non-pressure-demand O2 or whatever you call those systems that are used above FL400 (just supplemental or demand oxygen system).

RV-7A N660WS flying!
#8,000
Old 12-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Default little tykes can get ya

I read a story somewhere where a guy took his approx. two year old boy on a flight, nicely strapped into the car seat in front, and just at rotation the little fellow decided to help his dad pull back on the yoke. Gave him quite a scare.

After reading that, when I took my little ones flying in the club aircraft, I made sure that the seat was in the full back position so they could not reach the yoke. I prefer my flights to be boring.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Default 1 out of 11 Young Eagles...

I was very active with my local EAA chapter during the first two years after my RV-9A was completed. A good way to get more flight time was to fly Young Eagles. As an electronics communications engineer, my life is about "how things work" and always has been, even when I was a teenager.

Flying for me started with control-line models as a 10-year old, radio-controlled models later. My first official flying lesson was in 1991 at the age of 44. Along the way, I had a summer job in radio back in my college days, so I have the "voice of authority" on the COM radio when I communicate.

As for the 1 in 11 Young Eagles, he was in the group during the introduction to the airplane before any of them had their chance to sit in the right seat of my RV-9A. I explained the control surfaces during the pre-flight walk around. I also held up my hand with thumb and little finger extended to show the tilt of the wings that starts an airplane turning as I moved the aileron and showed them the stick moving at the same time. The "one" kid must not have been paying attention when I gave that explanation about banking is required for turns.

These kids were all across the age group for Young Eagles. I would say the ONE that was fearful was about 13 years old. He was about the fifth ride that day. I heard this "ooooooHHHHH" on the intercom from him when I made the first turn to crosswind after climbing 500 feet above the runway, and a bit less of the OH sound when I turned downwind at patttern altitude. I realized that he was not in any real distress, just surprised. I think he expected it to be like riding in a car with the top side always up.

I made all these flights from the Collegedale airport, not far from the Chattanooga VOR. I made it a point inside the terminal, before the flight, to show the kids the Atlanta sectional showing the Chattanooga area and pointing out the VOR circle relative to both local airports. Each one would get an expired sectional donated by the FBO as a souvenier of the flight.

When I get in the airplane before engine start, I would show them the VOR indicator on the panel and let them know they would see it work when thew would the VOR on the right side of the airplane as we flew past. They all seemed to understand the "white upside-down ice cream cone" analogy in the middle of the circle when they looked for it out the window.

Back to the ONE that was uncomfortable. We flew past the VOR and that distracted him a bit. Then I started turning back to the practice area away from the Chattanooga class C airspace. Even with shallow turns and more rudder, the "OOH" sound would again be heard on the intercom.

The routine was to climb up high enough to get out the bumpy air into the clear air and show the difference in GPS ground speed and true airspeed. During this phase of the flight, the ones who really had the interest had a chance to fly the airplane. I would have them turn with the wind, show the air speed and ground speed numbers, and then into the wind and let them see the GPS ground speed was indeed slower. After that came slow flight for the descent, including a gentle power-off stall to prove that airplanes don't fall and are easily recovered. With an RV-9A, these are indeed non-event gentle stalls. There was no hands-on flying for the ONE. After the gentle stall, I got another "OH" from my young man in the right seat.

When I told him that we would be returning to the airport, he was relieved, but reminded me "no turns please". I told him that I needed to make one more turn to align with the runway and would make it a gentle turn. Since Collegedale is uncontrolled, I made the announcement on the radio for a long, straight-in approach and set up for the landing with no more complaints from the boy. He was joyful when I made a perfect landing with no bounce. He was also glad to be out of the airplane when we stopped at the FBO.

He never tried to do anything with the stick that was right in front of him. He also did not appear to have any symptoms that would warrant an immediate landing. I had hoped that he would see just how gentle an airplane ride could be and help to overcome his fear. Not everyone is cut out for flying.
RV-9A - - N2PZ
www.n2prise.org
Old 01-18-2021, 07:32 PM

While I've never had a seriously panicking passenger, I've had a few get sick before I could get us back on the ground. Of course I have the prerequisite "barf bags" at the ready, (complete with various airline logos!) but guess what - in the small space of our planes the smell can be pretty distracting. So, one of the things I do, besides trying to calmly assure the passengers about the return to the airport, is to quickly direct an air vent to my face to mitigate the "distraction". Definitely helps with that "fly the airplane first" thing!
Old 01-18-2021, 08:06 PM

Some decades ago I was going to take a couple of friends flying. They were both very experienced pilots, with much, much more experience than I had, and very good friends of mine. When I was reading the preflight briefing that I read to all passengers that I hadn't flown with before, they started laughing and making fun of it. I told them that I was going to do this and that we wouldn't fly until I finished it. They settled down, we flew and had an uneventful flight.

It's bothered me for a long time that I flew with them. Given their lack of attention to what I was telling them, there might have been a problem. I should have figured out a way to explain that they get one chance at the briefing and no briefing, no flight. Still, in that case it worked out okay.

One of the more subtle purposes of the briefing isn't mentioned. It's that normally I'm a mild-mannered person. As PIC I'm in charge and expect that passengers will respond accordingly. The briefing defines what I expect of them. The social rules change when we get in my plane. Everyone else that I've briefed has understood that subtext. But they didn't.

Dave
Old 01-19-2021, 11:57 PM

I was on approach to the Nut Tree on a Summer day and was experiencing a little turbulence, at about 100', a foreign student passenger behind me panicked and reached forward and began choking me with both hands. I pulled one hand off my throat (trouble swallowing for over a week) and somehow "splatted" his nose with my elbow. Other back seat passenger took him under control and I recovered from the slight unusual attitude and landed fairly smoothly.

But, by the time I got to the turnoff the adrenaline hit and I could barely taxi to a parking space. Took awhile for his nose to stop bleeding.

He sat right rear on the way back.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:53 AM

My aerobatic instructor and friend told me a story when he gave a aerobatic lesson in a Cap-10. When they did the first spin the student froze and did not let go the stick or rudder... nothing helped and they were going down.. in the end my instructor punched him with the elbow in the face and then the student let go... from then on my instructor only gave aerobatic lessons in tandems if the students wore a tie (so he could grab this in emergencies)....

The student was not even mad at him and appologized for his reaction..
RV-8 #83458 HB-YUA
Donation 2020 done