- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:09 PM

Angry More Info?

What oil filter adaptor are you using, are you using a remote filter, what filter are you using? Recently I blew out my oil filter gasket right after start ( ran about 5-10 sec) on a 35F day, oil was at 74F, 100 Plus oil Lost about 2 qts
Old 01-07-2021, 12:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Clearly I'm putting my ignorance on display for all to see, sigh. Yes I called the oil pressure relief valve a vernatherm, my mistake.

But whether the valve would be the cause or not, my carelessness in keeping "summer" SAE50 in there is certainly something I should deal with so thanks y'all for diplomatically pointing that out (or to put it more succinctly, d'oh!) I'll make sure I'm not running that 50 weight into the cooler months and see if that makes a difference. And check that sender.
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 01-19-2021, 08:55 PM

Pretty sure this is solved. I removed the sender and hose and cleaned out the hose, replaced the sender with a new one and changed the oil, now running SAE40 which I should have been anyway this time of year. I'm pretty sure it was the sender but in any case, several flights now and no spiking OP.

Thanks for all the responses, I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seats wondering how this would turn out
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020