What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access Panel Kit

They can be retro installed with no problem, but would be easier to do before installing the top skin.

install

I just completed putting in the access panels in my -10.

My build is about 97 1/2% done and it took about 3.5 hours for each panel. The first one obviously took longer than the second.

It was no problem...stood on an aluminum step in order to reach them. Used a pneumatic nibbler to remove the skin section, then grind and file to final dimensions.

That being said, it would be easier to install prior to riveting the skin...

I did mine on a already-flying, unpainted -14. It?s really only more difficult than during the build because you have to clean all the mess from cutting the holes. (I can?t imagine doing it on a painted one)

Then I replaced the original canopy struts with the newer, stronger ones. MUCH easier with the access panels.

I?m sure it?s a personal preference but they are a great modification IMHO.

Thank you for this post! I am definitely going to install this kit. Didn't know it was available. Saw a homemade version on a newly minted -14A at OSH last year, but wasn't sure about the structural integrity.
But now that the mothership is offering a kit, that seems like a no-brainer.
If there's one I dislike about the build, it's having to crawl underneath and work behind the sub-panel. I'm getting too old for that.
Any other comments about how to install would be great.

How about four access panels??

I know that you can install two of these panels, typically in the "center" of the top skin. However, it would be great if we could get some feedback from Van's if we can install four access panels in the top skin. This would give access to the entire backside of the firewall, not just the central portion of it.

Having four access panels would save a bit of "standing on your head" to get to stuff.

Just a thought.

Jim-

I saw this in a separate thread and figured that it should have it's own thread so people could find it. I was like you and did not know the kit was available.

JRichichi-

Maybe just buy two kits. I was hoping that they were for either locate-top or side. I would like access to the center, but also the right side. That is where my Vpro is located as well as other components.

cheers
ken

I have the kit and the instructions have you align each side for installation in the center sections where the skin is "flatter". I would rather have them on the sides but there is significant curving you would need to do to get the hatches and frame to match the skin exactly which is one reason I have not installed the kit yet.

I did mine on a already-flying, unpainted -14. It?s really only more difficult than during the build because you have to clean all the mess from cutting the holes. (I can?t imagine doing it on a painted one)

Then I replaced the original canopy struts with the newer, stronger ones. MUCH easier with the access panels.

I?m sure it?s a personal preference but they are a great modification IMHO.

Could you post some pictures of your install?
-Bruce

sides

Installation of the access panels on the sides has been detailed on the RVN site. Not sure it has been posted here...

Apparently it worked fine and the builder installed one access panel in each side...

The instructions supplied with the kit, detail the installation location and install method that is approved by Van's.

Installation at other locations is at the discretion of the builder within the experimental nature of their aircraft.

RVN

It is just a FB group...RV Nation...

I can't find the post now...it also may have been on the Vans Aircraft Builder group.

They had photos posted as well...

Access panels received Yesterday. Installed already. I installed the first last night and then the other one today. It took about 3.5 hours to install, not including making the gasket (not yet done). It was an easy process when the top forward skin is not installed yet.

There is only a very small interference with the underlying bracket for the canopy hinge.

Access panels received Yesterday. Installed already. I installed the first last night and then the other one today. It took about 3.5 hours to install, not including making the gasket (not yet done). It was an easy process when the top forward skin is not installed yet.

There is only a very small interference with the underlying bracket for the canopy hinge.

I posted a bunch of videos on my FB page (in signature below) on the install process.

I still have not made the gasket yet. I might used something other than fuel tank sealant to make gaskets.

The instructions supplied with the kit, detail the installation location and install method that is approved by Van's.

Installation at other locations is at the discretion of the builder within the experimental nature of their aircraft.

Scott,
Does Vans have plans to offer a prepunched top skin as an option to go along with the access kit if a builder has not yet installed it?

Quick couple of questions. Will the panels sit flush after the gasket is installed? If so, are the panels thinner than the skin?

I'd like to install this but have concerns about water and getting a good seal.

Installed similar access panels last year

I installed three access panels that are very similar to the Vans' panels that are available now.

An after market fella in Mississippi (or Louisiana) makes them. I put one just off center as the Vans' are intended in OP-43, and the other two - one on each side down slope from the top one's location. The down slope panel goes on an area that has a more convex body curve so was a little trickier. If you intend to install an access panel there I suggest that it be done after the top forward skin is installed because the body curve is in-place; the ones on the top where the body curve is flatter may conform ok when you end up installing the top forward skin panel.

I did not see in Vans' OP-43 instructions any recommendation to doing the installation before or after the top skin is riveted in-place.

Last edited:
My RTV seal lasted 13 years and I replaced it last year as it was starting to get loose.
The seal is simply made.

Mask off outside of opening and anything that will have paint.

Clean and scuff the flange,

Lay a thin bead of RTV on flange and going around each screw hole

Lay a layer off Saran Wrap over RTV, let it extend a few inches past opening

Screw cover in place.

Next day use an exacto knife and cut excess Saran Wrap around cover.

Go flying,

My RTV seal lasted 13 years and I replaced it last year as it was starting to get loose.
The seal is simply made.

Mask off outside of opening and anything that will have paint.

Clean and scuff the flange,

Lay a thin bead of RTV on flange and going around each screw hole

Lay a layer off Saran Wrap over RTV, let it extend a few inches past opening

Screw cover in place.

Next day use an exacto knife and cut excess Saran Wrap around cover.

Go flying,

I’ve done this same process numerous times using pro seal. I like to add a .032” doubler/spacer to allow room for the proseal and when I tighten the cover down into the sealant I use a straight edge to set the cover height to be level with the surrounding skin. Works great and has been very durable.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Last edited:
Anyone have photos of the access panels installed so I can show a new builder that option for getting to the avionics. Wish I had it on mine.

Access panel photos

Ron,

Here’s mine in progress. Easy install on a flying -14 and access is great in the center section and pretty good on the left/right sides. I replaced my canopy lift struts after installing the access panels. Can’t imagine doing it any other way.

If I was installing during building I would maybe re-arrange a few things to make access via the holes a little easier. I have one or two things I will still have to lay to reach if the need arises. I love these.

Attachments

• CD0A856F-CD01-49A6-B844-DA2165C2E516.jpg
    CD0A856F-CD01-49A6-B844-DA2165C2E516.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 417
  • C237A308-9931-488B-8CF7-15F64A008F0D.jpg
    C237A308-9931-488B-8CF7-15F64A008F0D.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 430
OK, I'll be the one to ask. Has anyone tried this on a 6 yet? I know the kit doesn't include the 6. Is there a specific reason for that structurally?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks James just what I was looking for. Now if someone had a painted and covers installed photo that would be awesome.

Painted covers

Since you asked...but I don’t know why the pictures are upside down. The covers lay down really nice match the curve of the skin.

Also, I included a shot of the empennage because I love my paint job. :D

Attachments

• BF199AF4-2AD7-4E33-A6C2-D4BE972DC472.jpg
    BF199AF4-2AD7-4E33-A6C2-D4BE972DC472.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 433
  • 60BCA7EB-9678-4027-9B8F-442701203F0C.jpg
    60BCA7EB-9678-4027-9B8F-442701203F0C.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 360
  • 09C78E43-629D-45B5-90EE-FE57DEDE8B7F.jpg
    09C78E43-629D-45B5-90EE-FE57DEDE8B7F.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 0EFCB16F-C899-4A25-B1D9-28C72CDCDF69.jpg
    0EFCB16F-C899-4A25-B1D9-28C72CDCDF69.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 404
Access panel seal

I plan on installing 2 access panels in the front forward skin - what has everybody used to make seals to keep the weather out?

Has anyone put in this kit yet? I assume that they should be put in place prior to installation of the top forward skin. I have not put that skin in place yet. I would probably rivet the top skin now if I had these in place.

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...2-531&browse=airframe&product=AccessPanelsKit

I'm at the stage of figuring out where to place my LRUs behind the instrument panel. I kept laying the access plate reinforcement over the guide holes and trying to imagine what I actually could access with it installed.
This exercise brought me to the conclusion that I could make the LRUs accessible with drop down trays that would be easier to make and just as accessible as the skin openings.

Those access plate openings are not really that big. I experimented with how I would have to lean over from the side of the aircraft and get both my arms in there as well as see. Also, the access plates, to be useful, would need to have a LRU in a spot that you could actually reach and do something with.

I'm not saying the access plates aren't useful, I'm just saying before one installs them, one might consider what they actually give access to.

EDIT: I reconsidered and installed the access panels. Glad I did.

Last edited:
access plates for rv-6

I am also interested in putting the access plates on my -6. Is the cowling shaped differently?
Has anybody put them on a -6 yet?

Thanks,

access panes do work with a -6

I am also interested in putting the access plates on my -6. Is the cowling shaped differently?
Has anybody put them on a -6 yet?

Thanks,

They go on a -6 no problem... just can't use the locating tabs that work for the pre-punched -7/9/14... a trivial inconvenience.

Details on neoprene weatherstripping installation?

rocketman Bob helped me find what he used from McMaster... 93375K601

I'm looking at options for sealing up the access panels I'm installing in my flying RV-7A.

Two questions:

- Does anyone have pictures of how they installed the neoprene stripping? How do you ensure it's fully water-tight, with no ingress in the corners where the strips meet?

- If you used the weatherstripping, would you do it again?

Thanks!

I'm looking at options for sealing up the access panels I'm installing in my flying RV-7A.

Two questions:

- Does anyone have pictures of how they installed the neoprene stripping? How do you ensure it's fully water-tight, with no ingress in the corners where the strips meet?

- If you used the weatherstripping, would you do it again?

Thanks!

The neoprene tape will form around the opening in one piece. there is only one seam where the two ends meet. I have 200 hours on mine and havent noted any leaks...

Plumber's Putty

1. Roll between hands
  2. Place roll around flange over holes
  3. Conforms perfectly
  4. Replace Cover (smashes putty and creates gasket)
  5. Wipe excess (if needed) after installing covers

• Cheap
  • Very available
  • Completely waterproof
  • Easy to replace
  • Easy to clean
  • Won't harm paint or aluminum
  • Installs in minutes
  • No mess

Access panel kit

Considering adding the access panel kit on my RV14 build before the top forward fuselage skin is installed. Anything I should know from those before me? It seems like it will make riveting the skin on easier too. Am I missing something?

Access panel

Nope pretty much a no brainer. There was a thread about someone adding 4 and I feel not needed.

Back