What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV-14 owners in Houston?

SkiMoreBumps

I'm New Here
Dear Folks,

I'm thinking about jumping into an RV-14 kit. I have been looking for a project to occupy some newly vacant garage space (and I better hurry up before my wife fills the space with junk that she would otherwise throw away haha). I haven't been flying regularly in a few years, and I'm not current right now, but I figured I don't need to be current to build something, and if I build it, I'll probably get current pretty quickly.

SO question:

Does anyone in the Houston area have an RV-14 that I might be able to sit in, or even get a ride in? I'm happy to buy a nice lunch, and chip in for operating costs. I'm 5'6" (barely), and with relatively short legs even for my height. From what I've read, the RV-14 might be on the "too big" list for me. I have seen the Control Approach rudder pedals, but I don't think they yet make a version to make the plane fit shorter passengers, and I kind of want to sit in one to see just how awkward it might be before I buy a tail kit.

I have sat in an RV-9. I think that may be my best alternative to the -14, since I can count on one hand the number of times I've had anyone in the back seat and it generally fits the mission. But, I think I would much prefer a 14 if it fits (for all the obvious reasons - better gear, lower sidewall, substantially wider cabin, and just overall it appears to be a much more modern airplane).

Thanks!

I don?t think the 14 will be too big for you. There are adjustments for the pedals and seat to accommodate. I am 5?8?ish and have the pedals and seat in the middle position. My wife is 5?4? and the current position is a stretch for her. The pedals can come back another 1? or so and the seat could move forward about the same.

When you find a plane to try on, check the pedal position.

I am 5'7" and my wife is 5'2". I am setting up one side for her and one side for me. I have the ability to start from both sides--second push button start on co-pilot side.

As stated previously, the pedals are adjustable. Furthermore, Flightline interiors will work with you to design seat height and seat thickness to make the set up work for you. I have no issue. It might take a bit of refinement for my wife. Flightline will redo stuff to make it work. For example, the notch for the stick might not have full travel for my wife's seat. If this is really an issue, then we will send the seat pan back to Flightline for adjustment.

I am not actually sure that their is any difference in leg difference between the planes. you should talk to Van's about that. I sat in the -7 and -14 at Oshkosh a long time ago. It did not seem that leg room was different, but the shoulder-to-shoulder room was much better on the 14.

Finally, look at TimO's webpage. He built blocks that attach to the pedals for shorter people to fly. I think that this is to keep the pedals on the pilot side in a fixed place, but still allow a shorter person to fly. In your case, who the heck cares if anyone else can fly your plane. Adjust the pilot side for you and don't worry about other.

Just my random thoughts.

ken

And yes there are people in Houston building that have not responded to the post. I have been in contact with a few people down there, but I don't recall their names at this point.

Thanks Gents!

Much appreciate all the replies! Sorry I'm slow to follow up - just saw all the posts. I had been away from the board for a while (building a model airplane - I have to be building something I guess, haha).

Very encouraging if it it can be made to fit a 5'2" person, Stockmanreef. TimO's blocks look pretty clever too. Thank you for the comments from KPTW too. I'm tempted to go ahead and order the emp kit, but... if I have the opportunity...

Tom023, I'd love to swing by Hooks and check out your plane. I've been locked up at home for about 3 weeks with no symptoms of any kind, so I'd assume that I'm probably pretty safe company right now as far as COVID-19 goes, but if you want to wait until things settle down, no worries. I'll PM you my cell phone and personal email.

Cheers,
E

KIWS

I?ve been away from the board for awhile. This #@$#&# CV19
Anyway I am now flying my RV14a out of KIWS. Message me offline if you want to come, happy to fly you anytime. As if I needed an excuse to fly the worlds greatest airplane. Your height not an issue at all. You can engineer the seat placement at build. Doing it post build would require a little creativity but still very doable
Cheers
Greg
N557GB
85 hours

Back