What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Fuselage Prep for Paint

JokerF22

Hi All-

I received my -14A QB fuselage and am at the point where the plans recommend to paint the cockpit if desired. My goal is to end up with a nice color of EkoCrylic over the top of SEM primer (applied with HVLP) in the aft fuselage and over the top of the SW P060G2 in the factory completed forward fuselage.

My question is related to the forward fuselage. When I clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol, I get a lot of ?green? on my rag. Is that normal? Should I be wiping/cleaning until I get a clean rag before moving on?

My second question is related to the top coat. Once prepped, any issues applying the EkoCrylic directly on top of the P060G2 primer surface in the forward areas?

Lastly, what do I NOT want to paint in the cockpit? What areas need to be masked off?

Thanks much.

When I clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol

I used MEK and/or Acetone, either will do a better job than Alcohol.

Assuming you're scuffing the surface with scotchbrite or similar, you may want to clean again just before priming, some light surface oxidation will set in after just a day or two.

Not sure about the green residue, didn't have that, but If you are using a colored rag maybe switch to just a plain white one. You should clean until the rag is clean.

Last edited:
Back