What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Wing tank fuel senders

itk96

I'm New Here
I am in the process of building the fuel tanks on the RV8. I initially ordered the resistive type fuel senders (float type) with the kit. I would like to switch to the capacitive plate fuel senders. I was told by vans that they no longer sell the capacitive kit. I am putting the flop tubes in both tanks and am looking for options other than installing the float type on the rear baffle in the second bay. Any thoughts or ideas?

Option 1 - get the Princeton Fuel Probes from ACS -should be able to install them in the root rib with the probe clear of the flop tube

Option 2 - It would be easy enough to make your own plate sender kit - get drg OP-7 from Vans for the details - the plates are ex 025 sheet, some nylon spacers, std AN hardware & readily available BNC connectors. The signal converters are available from Princeton Electronics

itk96,
I was in your shoes earlier this year when I posted the same question here. I got lots of great advise and fortunately I was able to get my hands on one of the last capacitive plate kits from Van's.
As moodyjr pointed out, fabricating your own sending unit plates would be simple to do.
Here's the link from when I asked the question last Feb.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=110261

Tom

I have a complete capacitive kit that I didn't use. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.

If you ever expect to use mogas or ethanol laced gas in the future, be aware that capacitive sensors will have significantly different calibration between avgas and E-gas; and some difference (can't remember how much) between avgas & no-E mogas. That's what kept me from using them in my build.

Charlie

Back