What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Support VAF!

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
In regards to Doug's post this morning on the VAF front page:

"All regular posters AND readers/lurkers should contribute to Doug and his family to keep the site up and running."

IMHO this site is one of the best things going for the Vans community. I for one, would be very unhappy if it were to disappear due to people taking advantage of the "honor system" method by which Doug supports it. If you have not donated for this year, please make the donation. If you have money coming out your ear, send in more than $25. You will get an incredible rate of return on your "investment" in the form of information, entertainment, comraderie, etc. And you'll be helping to support a great guy, who, through a lot of hard work and personal sacrifice, has created a wonderful place for all of us to "hang out" with like-minded dreamers.

What would your morning be without VAF??

Here is the link to the donation page, just in case someone has not figured out that the big green "Button" is a link.

http://www.vansairforce.net/yearlypledgedrive_value.htm

And for those who are not interested in reading the whole thing, here is the important part in a nutshell. I added the red for emphasis -----Doug is too much of a gentleman to have done so.

"Perception: This site will be online forever.
Reality: Maybe. Maybe not.
The intent from the beginning was to 'virtually feed' the soul of the ten year old kid still inside each of us that wants to fly more than just about anything else. You held your hand out the car window as a kid and pretended it was a wing. You had a cardboard box in your room with a control stick and drawings of instruments on one side, and you sat in it pretending you were upside down over the mountaintops. You watched every single airplane that flew over your house with rapt, unwavering attention. Me too. I've taken great pains over the last decade to duplicate some of those feelings here. To convey the dream and promise of RV flight, a sense of happiness, of accomplishment, of motivation, of friendship, of caring, of compassion wrapped in a positive tone. In other words, the exact opposite of most websites on the planet these days. But sadly, the banker man doesn't care much for these uplifting emotions. The stone cold, brutal reality (and this is the one part I hope everyone who comes to this site takes away from reading this) is that unless more of the regular readers donate $25 yearly, the site will go dark and I'll go get a technology job somewhere to better support my family. It's a simple cash flow equation. I do love airplanes, and especially RVs, but my family comes first. Always. If you come here regularly, PLEASE donate yearly. It absolutely means the difference between the site staying and going away."

Doug,
We all understand your points/hesitation about a paid site but... if I was worried (and I do daily) about $ for my family, it would be pay to play up front suckers. You are a nice guy but, most folks will conveniently FORGET about the $ 25 unless it is demanded. Those of us who really want to be on site will not mind $ 25 up front. Just post the rules just as you do now to limit the problems. Times are a changing and people are getting VERY cheap, It’s hit by business also. I think you would spent about the same amount of time on a pre-paid system (work wise) as you do with the volunteer. It has been my experience over the years that, business that don’t change with the times go away.
Good Luck!

most folks will conveniently FORGET about the $ 25 unless it is demanded.....It has been my experience over the years that, business that don?t change with the times go away.

Ok, you got me. I just donated after slacking off for quite a while. I'm no longer an RV guy, and am not even current, but still find a ton of useful info on here for my current build. The knowledge base on here far exceeds that on any other experimental aviation site. I could list names, but you all know who we've got: The guy who likes to burn stuff, the guy who knows astronauts, the lady who builds planes (and boats!), the DAR who to me looks a bit like Ol' St. Nick, etc.

Long Live VAF!

Prior to a few moments ago, my name was not on the list for 2012. That's been fixed.

With that said, I do wonder if perhaps the "honor system" used here isn't quite as forthright as it could be. Even though I just got my tail kit a few weeks ago, I've been perusing these forums as a registered member for nearly two years. Last October was the first time I sent in a donation...and the reason it was the first time I donated was that it was the first time I can recall knowing that VAF was Doug's full-time job, or that donations were expected.

I'm not sure what that says about me-and frankly, it concerns me a bit. However, in an online world crammed full of free-to-join forums and such, I think it's easy for people to get stuck in the groove of assuming that free is the norm. I understand that Doug wants to not make this an in-your-face kind of thing, with constant demands for money and/or huge, obtrusive ads, and I truly appreciate that. But maybe a better job can be done of explaining exactly what this forum is to Doug.

I wasn't donating before, not out of some sense of entitlement, but out of pure ignorance. I can't help but wonder if that same ignorance isn't a major factor in the low donation percentage.

So perhaps the question is this: Is there a way to bring more attention to what it takes to keep the lights on at VAF, without hounding people unnecessarily?

Would hate to see VAF go...

yes, my name is on the donation list. I make a point of donating on News Years day each year. Looks like a few others should adopt this as a news years resolution as well. But that's for next year.... this year it might be time to donate now.

Pay It Forward!

Doug,

You are obviously an honorable man, but the honor to have VAF online should be ours; not yours alone.

I would be among those who vote for a basic annual VAF subscription fee with possibly an ?additional donation? category (or categories) for those of us who want to contribute more. For those whom you admirably want to honor and assist (combat veterans, the unemployed, etc.) how about a subscription waiver request system? Also, you might have a free, introductory trial period for new VAF members. These are just my "2 cents" thoughts, anyway.

For one, I want to personally THANK YOU for starting and continuing VAF. I have personally benefited from much of the information posted herein. In fact, based on your current low level of donations, I?m wondering if many RVers understand how valuable VAF is; particularly for builders, maintainers, and fliers (flight safety). The bonuses are the social posts, travel stories, photos, news, etc., etc.!

Please Carry On!

Bill Palmer

I am proclaiming my guilt openly here. I have failed to keep track of my contribution and find the last time I sent a payment was the month of my first flight, 2 years ago. That is unacceptable. I am a member of AOPA and EAA. I subscribe to Plane & Pilot and Kitplanes magazines. Although I garner some benefits from these associations, they pale in comparison to the benefits I gain from being a MEMBER of this forum.

I complain about how EAA is loosing its direction but I continue to pony up their required membership fees each year. I have absolutely ZERO complaints about belonging to this group of individuals. I have only good things to say about coming onto this site everyday.

I am sending in my current DUES and the back dues I owe from the previous year. I plan to set up a calendar reminder for each year (I like the New Years date mentioned by PMcCoy). I will not fall behind again. I encourage all who spend even one day a week to contribute to this site today. It is the most beneficial membership any of us will ever belong to.

In Doug's own words..

Because most folks will fail to click through and read what Doug has to say, I thought I'd call direct attention to it here. If you don't read anything else, read the parts I underlined.

Let's be honest. These aren't donations, they're membership fees. So lets get rid of the word donation completely.

I doubled my membership fees this year to pay for someone who wouldn't.

Phil

Perception vs Reality:

Perception: I work an hour each morning, then spend the rest of the day napping on a pile of cash.

Reality: That would be nice, but it's not what happens.

I bet my house and family's future on the success of this web site, so I pretty much spend every waking second trying to market it and make it better. I'll maybe get out to the airport two, sometimes three times a week for what will cumulatively add up to less than an hour in the air (my flights are usually .2-.3hrs and local). Unless I'm asleep, I rarely go more than an hour without sitting down at the computer. Not having a commute and self-employeed means you're working three minutes after you wake up, as well as sixty seconds before your head hits the pillow. I work every evening.
==========================
Perception: We are rich.

Reality: We are not.

Historically maybe one in five regular readers actually end up sending in their yearly honor system donation. Self-employed health insurance for a family of four costs more than the house payment, and does not include dental or vision. Bandwidth, backups, patches, server space in a data center, and all the other computer stuff costs more than all our other family expenses. I cut my own hair, and don't see a pool, airpark home or owning my own hangar in our future. Kids are expensive (and worth it). There is no other paycheck...just this site, and it is enormously expensive and time consuming to run. I thank God every single day for the advertisers and donators that have helped keep it afloat.

Perception: You can take off work whenever you want.

Reality: That's a good one.

I go to Chick-fil-A for lunch instead of Whataburger, because they have free WiFi. I have a WiFi hotspot in the hangar where I rent a corner. Old joke: "Being a small business owner means you can work half-days if you want. The best part is you get to choose which 12 hours that is."

Perception: This site will be online forever.

Reality: Maybe. Maybe not.

The intent from the beginning was to 'virtually' feed the soul of the ten year old kid still inside each of us that wants to fly more than just about anything else. You held your hand out the car window as a kid and pretended it was a wing. You had a cardboard box in your room with a control stick and drawings of instruments on one side, and you sat in it pretending you were upside down over the mountaintops. You watched every single airplane that flew over your house with rapt, unwavering attention. Me too. I've taken great pains over the last decade to duplicate some of those feelings here. To convey the dream and promise of RV flight, a sense of happiness, of accomplishment, of motivation, of friendship, of caring, of compassion wrapped in a Christian, positive tone. In other words, the exact opposite of most websites on the planet these days. But sadly, the banker man doesn't care much for these uplifting emotions. The stone cold, brutal reality (the point I need to drive home) is that unless more of the regular readers donate $25 yearly, the site will go dark and I'll go get a technology job somewhere to better support my family. It's a simple matter of cash flow. I do love airplanes, and especially RVs, but my family comes first. Always. If you are one of the regulars, PLEASE donate yearly. It literally means the difference between the site staying and going away.

...I wasn't donating before, not out of some sense of entitlement, but out of pure ignorance. I can't help but wonder if that same ignorance isn't a major factor in the low donation percentage ...

I think you're right that most people who are registered members of VAF, whether they post or not, simply don't think about it unless a thread like this pops up. I mean, how can somebody pony up $50K, $80K, $100K or more to build an RV, and then spend thousands more each year for fuel, oil and insurance ... and not be able to afford a paltry $25/year for this site?

I try to send a little extra each year to make up for those who forget to donate. Or, I'll find something that I no longer need in the hangar and send it to a fellow VAFer with instructions to make a donation to VAF.

I agree that an annual subscription would be a good business idea, but it's not my business.

Supporting VAF

Although I qualify for one of the exemptions that DR offers so you don't have to pay a measly $25.00 per year, it would feel like cheating if I did not pay every year and early in the year. I get way more than $25 value out of the VAF site. For along time at the top of the Home page DR explains how and why he makes this site happen. It is how he makes a living and I am grateful to him for not giving up on it already with unacceptably low "donation" number of 539 through half the year.

If donations don't dramatically increase I hope DR will try a mandatory membership for the site before discontinuing it entirely. I have owned a wonderful RV6A for quite a few years now but I was not the builder. Therefore, I rely on many of the discussions and posts by builders to maintain my airplane and solve problems that occur.

Hit that big green button on the left side (if you have not done so) and support the VAF.

"I mean, how can somebody pony up $50K, $80K, $100K or more to build an RV, and then spend thousands more each year for fuel, oil and insurance ... and not be able to afford a paltry $25/year for this site?"

Because they are CHEAP! I see it all the time. If you don't make them, they will not do it!

Auto Renewal?

This might be more work for Doug, but I am currently a member of EAA and AOPA as others have mentioned. Those organizations have my credit card on file and allow me to 'OPT IN' for an auto renewal. I only have to sign up once, and they keep dinging my credit card each year.

Just an idea.

Step Up, Moderators!

OK...I'm gonna challenge my fellow Moderators. Doug excuses us and some other folks (veterans, policemen, teachers, etc.) from donating the $25/year, and some years I've donated anyway, but I confess I didn't last year. I admit, this site is a daily "go to" for me, kinda like the morning coffee, and I get a whole lot more out of it than my piddlin' moderating is worth.

So I'm gonna donate here in a few minutes, and I encourage the other moderators to, also. I know Doug probably won't like this, but I think it's the noble thing to do. He lets us play in his sandbox, so we oughta help him out with replenishing it every once in a while. :D

Doug,

I would love to have an automatic way to make my annual contribution. Please make it easier for those of us with good intentions but don't remember until we see threads like this and then look through pages of names to see if our last contribution was for this or last year. I have to believe that the extra contributions from an automatic credit card draft would more than cover the cost. Even a reminder email with a link on the one year anniversary of our last contribution would help.

[ed. Thanks Larry.

Auto-pay works great in theory, until everyone’s card expiration date eventually needs updating…or their card gets lost/cancelled. Now my workload goes up considerably. I bet you've noticed that a few times over the years when you call Van's they need you to give them your updated expiration date.

Let me suggest instead adding a yearly, self-recurring reminder to your calendar. If you use Outlook, use these instructions.

Kindest,
Doug]

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug, you've probably already done this, but perhaps spending an hour or two consulting a professional fundraiser might give you some new ideas.

I've noticed, for just one example, that a lot of organizations have a drawing every year, or a sweepstakes of some kind. Every person who contributes gets a ticket thrown in the hat. The more you contribute, the more tickets you get. EAA gives away an airplane every year. So does Sporty's. (It doesn't have to be an airplane... just the idea of a drawing of some kind). One of your advertisers, or maybe several of them, could put up something for the drawing each year, perhaps in lieu of cash. It might be a good trade-off. Kind of like door prizes. Their product would be promoted, and it would bring a lot of readers off the fence. A win - win! Let's face it, people are not only cheap, but greedy. If you could capture some of those dollars being spent on lottery tickets, wouldn't that be great. All those organizations that do this kind of thing, even those outside aviation, wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work!

Anyway, just an idea for thought. Perhaps others can add in on the idea.

Prizes are already a part of VAF

Bruce,

Doug already does drawings for prizes on his site. If you have made your annual donation of at least $25, you are entered to win a prize. I think the best idea would be a voluntary auto-renew set-up. That way, those of us who want to contribute, but don't want to track whether or not it's time, could "set-it and forget it." Doug would have a better idea of future finances coming in and would probably sleep better. I'd think the auto-renew idea would work well, and I would definitely voluntarily sign up for such a service to help support the site I log on to MUCH MORE than once a day!:eek:

Romeo, Romeo

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Delta Romeo?
Deny thy career and accept my donation;
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my host
And I'll no longer be a lurker.
- Bill Shakespeare, sort of.

OK, truth be told I'm not a lurker, I just made my second donation for the year. I'm not building yet, but really need you guys to be around when I finally get around to it. :)

Let's scrap the word Donation.

From this point forward, lets use the term Membership Dues.

These aren't donations...

Phil

I am one of the newer guys on the block. Finished my RV-4 in '88, became a hanger queen in '03 and sold it in '09. Found this site last month. After a few days of reading, this site was so well done, it rekindled my interest in RV's and immediately sent in my "membership dues."

I am a proud yearly contributer to VAF. Have been since 2005, I think.

One thought that crosses my mind is, does Van's Aircraft contribute to the maintenance of VAF? Vans seems to do well having VAF deflect much of the technical questions which would otherwise be jamming their phone lines, as one example. I don't have the data but I would bet there is much more traffic on VAF than Van's Facebook page as well. DR provides a world class site to complement Van's world class planes. I just hope DR is fairly compensated by the company he so unselfishly promotes.

I guess it would be hard to quantify the value of VAF to Vans Aircraft but if VAF went away I bet there would be a noticeable hit to Vans bottom line.

AUTO PAY DIY

Since Doug won't give us an auto-pay option, I would encourage everyone that donates to set up an annual payment using bill pay at your bank. It was really easy (5 minutes) and now I don't have to remember each year! Plus, Doug will receive a check and save on the paypal fees.

VAF%2520Auto%2520Pay.jpg

[ed. Thanks Larry.

Auto-pay works great in theory, until everyone’s card expiration date eventually needs updating…or their card gets lost/cancelled. Now my workload goes up considerably. I bet you've noticed that a few times over the years when you call Van's they need you to give them your updated expiration date.

Let me suggest instead adding a yearly, self-recurring reminder to your calendar. If you use Outlook, use these instructions.

Kindest,
Doug]

Last edited:
I guess it would be hard to quantify the value of VAF to Vans Aircraft but if VAF went away I bet there would be a noticeable hit to Vans bottom line.

Thats a great point - maybe Vans should carve out some portion of their Oshkosh display this year (and every year) to help promote VAF.

And I completely agree with the option of VAF being set up for a recuring charge to a credit card....which after reading Doug's comments above I guess is not really such a great idea. Bank draft seems the way to go.

Last edited:
My vote for autorenewal if possible also.

I am a paying 'member' but I rarely log in, use multiple devices to read the forum, and wonder if that behavior skews the site statistics? If many of us lurk, but don't sign in, do we have an accurate view of the non-participatory community's size?

Doug runs a very professional service here, and is obviously a very humble guy, and probably loathes talking about money. Many passionate people just want to pursue their dream and not have to be blocked by financial obstacles. I want to support that, but note that we have a hobby that is shrinking in size (my anecdotal opinion) and the suggested donation rate has remained unchanged over the years.

Many users may not be in my position, but $25 vs $50 is not a big deal for me. I'm going to send more this year, but have to admit my contributions to various groups is swayed by membership sizes, statistics and what they ask for. I wonder if I'm like or unlike most others and just give $25 because that's what's asked for, not because that's the pareto optimal in this market.

DR,
If it is important to the user (RVator or not), they will pay the $25. If it is not, then they can figure out how to build their plane or do their research the old way. I bet that once they find out how difficult it is, without VAF, they will pay. It is ridiculous to me that people can spend thousands of $$$$ building a plane but can?t pay $25/year for this service. I got it, I want to save $$$$ too. And build something that I can afford but lets put things into prospective here.

If you are flying an RV (or other plane); how about flying half hour less a year so you can pay your $25.
If you are not flying yet; how about one less trip a year to the airport to look at planes so you can pay your $25.

My personal opinion (which may be worth nothing) is that it is a yearly fee. No different than EAA, AOPA, XM weather, Spot tracker, etc.

Since Doug won't give us an auto-pay option, I would encourage everyone that donates to set up an annual payment using bill pay at your bank. It was really easy (5 minutes) and now I don't have to remember each year! Plus, Doug will receive a check and save on the paypal fees

+1. That's a great idea.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:
I sent in my "membership dues" at the first of the year and I just sent my bi-annual membership dues in today. I get way more out of this site than I pay for.:)

Membership dues paid

This site IS the main reason why I jumped into the build back in 2006 without having ever flown or even just seen an RV.

It's just that I found here so much useful information and help that I felt I could do it.

More than 5 years later, I'm slowly progressing, but every time I had a doubt, I found an answer here. I also made very good deals with the classifieds and above everything I made forum friends that I hope to meet (again) for real at Oshkosh this year: Vlad, Smitty, will you be at Osh?:D

This site IS the main reason why I jumped into the build back in 2006 without having ever flown or even just seen an RV.

It's just that I found here so much useful information and help that I felt I could do it.

I find it hard to believe that there is not a person that comes to this site and has not reaped the benefits that this forum offers, whether it has been inspiration, getting a good deal from the classifieds, forging new friendships or getting fantastic "tech support" from the wealth of knowledge of the participants! And the bonus is not lousy pop-ups and banners!!! Oh yeah...this is a real bargin! Thanks a million Doug!

Another Idea.......?????

I fall into the category of not remembering when I donated and/or for what year, but just added an annual reminder to the iPhone.

On another note, I will bring up another idea I had many years ago. I spoke to Doug about it on the phone, and told him about my idea- years ago. I haven't ever heard anything else about it, so I'll mention it here since there is talk of the site possibly 'going dark'. I think it would be a HUGE success, and a really nice way to boost the annual income of Delta Romeo, LLC: Establish a Vans Airforce Fly-In, hosted by Doug. It could be somewhere in the central part of the USA so it's more convenient for everyone. Site sponsors/vendors would have tents set-up onsite, etc. A marginal 'attendance fee' could be established, and it would be all-things-RV. There are a million ways to design and plan the proposed VAF fly-in, and I'd bet it would be a HUGE success, and a nice and easy way to generate more income for the site.

Just my two-cents, but if people flock to S-N-F, Oshkosh, etc., why wouldn't they flock to an RV-specific fly-in that is planned for the sole purpose of supporting this site? I'd bet there would be hundreds and hundreds of people flying in for the festivities, not to mention folks who needed to drive in. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Being a person who makes his living in public broadcasting, you'd think I'd be better at ponying up the dough than I have been. I understand -- completely -- the responsibility we have to not delegate our responsibility to others.

For the last several years, I've been a slacker as the project has sucked money away from the bank account.

Now that it's flying, I'll make it a point to put some cash in the mail. Heck, I don't need UPS (much) anymore.

Here's another idea: A fundraising BBQ at Oshkosh.

Membership FEE

Ok let me just take a minute and say I pay my membership fee of $25 every quarter. Why.... because as someone said earlier.... my AOPA membership and EAA membership both autorenew and this one does not.

And this one as far as I am concerned is the best thing going. I have all my RV buds setup in my buddy list and I see them when I am logged in and I won't say how many times a day because someone may tell my boss!!!! :eek:

Any way I encourage everyone reading this on a regular basis to consider what it would be like if we didn't have it. Really dig down and think about that.

Ok .... now get that checkbook out or log in to paypal and pay that freakin membership fee and fell good about yourselves!!! :D

Have a great day VAF family!

......I haven't ever heard anything else about it, so I'll mention it here since there is talk of the site possibly 'going dark'.....

Really!? Wondering where that came from.....I think it may be a bit disingenuous to allow that inferernce to drive this discussion.

BTW, I'm all for the membership model - and have pushed that opinion on DR for some time now because I think it's just a bit more clear cut way of running it as a business - but that's just my personal opinion. I better get going and send in my yearly buck contribution or my name won't make it on the list of contributors! :)

Cheers,
Stein

I fall into the category of not remembering when I donated and/or for what year, but just added an annual reminder to the iPhone.

On another note, I will bring up another idea I had many years ago. I spoke to Doug about it on the phone, and told him about my idea- years ago. I haven't ever heard anything else about it, so I'll mention it here since there is talk of the site possibly 'going dark'. I think it would be a HUGE success, and a really nice way to boost the annual income of Delta Romeo, LLC: Establish a Vans Airforce Fly-In, hosted by Doug. It could be somewhere in the central part of the USA so it's more convenient for everyone. Site sponsors/vendors would have tents set-up onsite, etc. A marginal 'attendance fee' could be established, and it would be all-things-RV. There are a million ways to design and plan the proposed VAF fly-in, and I'd bet it would be a HUGE success, and a nice and easy way to generate more income for the site.

Just my two-cents, but if people flock to S-N-F, Oshkosh, etc., why wouldn't they flock to an RV-specific fly-in that is planned for the sole purpose of supporting this site? I'd bet there would be hundreds and hundreds of people flying in for the festivities, not to mention folks who needed to drive in. Thoughts?
Gary, this very topic was discussed in great detail just a little while ago (less than a month ago) on this thread. Do a search on LOE and you will find every single one of your suggestions is already in existence at LOE. Plan to make it up to Weatherford, OK
somewhere in the central part of the USA
this October and you will see exactly what you are referring to. Rain dampened the area last year so few flew in, although there was still a great turn out and a lot of money raised for charity, but the previous year there were around 130 RV's on the field. As Doug posted on the above mentioned thread, here is a pic of a previous gathering:
img_8887.jpg

My vote for a "VAFKosh"

I like Gary's idea of a VAF Fly-In. IMHO, you should have it here in Colorado. It seems like we don't have a lot of events like this (fly-ins, airshows, etc.), which is weird since we have (or maybe had?:()such a strong aerospace presence in the state. There are several airports in the Denver area that would be perfect, plus you get the beauty of the Rocky Mountains, the nightlife of Denver and an International Airport to support vendors and guests (assuming it grew into something huge).

So Doug, what do you say? Could there be a VAFKosh in our future?:cool:

Annual fee

I like the idea of an annual fee, with password required, to get in. I willingly pay a fee each year for Weathermeister, and I would pay that much or more for annual access to VAF.

I'm paid up through July '12, and "donate" yearly in August. You don't have to pay on Jan 1st.

OTOH, maybe an annual fee would lower the "hits" numbers, and deter advertisers????

As always, Doug's call.

Really!? Wondering where that came from.....I think it may be a bit disingenuous to allow that inferernce to drive this discussion....

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,
As Larry already mentioned above, Doug himself said, this morning, that the site possibly going dark is "the point I need to drive home". Essentially he said that if more regular readers don't donate, the site going dark could be a neccessary action, and 'he'd go get a technology job somewhere'.

So, I didn't infere that at all. It came from the leader's voice (typing).

Take care,

Last edited:
Gary, this very topic was discussed in great detail just a little while ago (less than a month ago)

An EF-2 tornado made a direct hit on my house ($79,000 in damages) just a few days before you'll started posting about L-O-E, so I was without power / Internet access for many days thereafter. I missed the entire discussion, and had no idea the topic had been brought up. Sorry for bringing up something similar, again!

But what I did notice, is that L-O-E supports a local charity, right? I've unfortunately never made it up there, but hope to in the future! That's a WONDERFUL thing (helping a local charity in Oklahoma) and I donate to many charities myself. But I made mention of a VAF-specific function, that benefits Doug and his family- directly.

Last edited:
So Doug, what do you say? Could there be a VAFKosh in our future?:cool:

See post #38, it mentions the LOE fly-in... held for years in New Mexico, now in Weatherford, OK. An all RV fly-in just for us RV geeks. LOE is short for Land of Enchantment, but since it's now in OK, I think the new name consensus is Lots of Experimentals... or something like that.

I checked the list and I wasn't on it until I remembered I paid under my rockwoodimages email account. Im OK with a membership requirement, but we may lose some new builders. I looked around the site for a couple weeks before I paid. Not having the chance to ask questions, I would be building a Kitfox or Lancair now.

Can a non-paying lurker post questions? Maybe allowing lurking but not signing up or posting if you don't pay. If that is how it is now, than good job!

Speed with Economy book....who wants it?

I received "Speed with Economy" book from a fellow VAF'r Jeff C (Gonzo24). I'm done with it and was going to send it back last week. He said just find someone to donate something to charity or Doug. SO who wants it? Shipping on me, I'll send it to the highest bidder by 10pm tomorrow. I'll check this thread, PM's and email. bkcarroll(at)mt.net

do I hear $25 donation...what'll ya give Doug....$50...do I hear $75?....how about that lurker in the corner...come on folks we're fundraising here.

photobucket-29387-1339541836996.jpg

Mea Culpa!

I could have sworn I donated; I usually wait for about a week after New Years. But the list says no, so I double-donated to make up for my lapse. I like the Bill Pay idea, plus DR gets all the money instead of PayPal getting a cut.

I just donated as well. i like the idea of an anual invoice or similar emailed direct, i think every one would pay then on time.

Paul

Some cost benefit numbers...

Well, for my donation each year over the last 6 or so, i have managed to accrue the following savings:
1: lightspeed xl25 headsets...qty 2 good condition...
2: complete set of breakers for my electrical
3: a finishline 3 hvlp for my paint
4: a almost new constant speed prop (600 hours on it)
5: a AFS AOA Pro from the LOE raffle
6: a KT79 transponder

Overall, I'd say I have saved over 2500$ from Doug's hard work....not to mention the HUNDREDS of hours I have saved from the help and advice of others on this site!

I read this site far more thoroghly than I read my S.A.....and that costs more!

Thats my 250000 cents worth.

I received "Speed with Economy" book from a fellow VAF'r Jeff C (Gonzo24). I'm done with it and was going to send it back last week. He said just find someone to donate something to charity or Doug. SO who wants it? Shipping on me, I'll send it to the highest bidder by 10pm tomorrow. I'll check this thread, PM's and email. bkcarroll(at)mt.net

photobucket-29387-1339541836996.jpg

It's darned good book. I'd put it as the Number One reference book to have if you're interested in going fast. Crank up your donation and get this book!

Dave

Back