What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Hi everyone,
I bought the licence for Xpanel and I played a bit with the software today.

Here is the panel of my dreams:
RV7DualSkyviewD1000GNS430.jpg

Here is probably what I will be able to afford:
RV7_Single_SkyviewD1000_iPadV2.jpg

Similar, but on the second one the GNS430 is gone and an iPad replaces the 2nd Dynon Skyview.

Tell me what you think.
Important to me is panel symetry, functionality and logic.
On the left are switches for battery, alternator, start and mags. Below the skyview are switches for avionics master, fuel pump and misc switches for lights etc.

I would either:

1.) ditch all the analog standby instruments for something like the Dynon D10, D6 or Trutrak Gemini or
2.) Replace the compass card with a standby attitude indicator. If your screens go blank keeping the blue side up and the airspeed under control are the two most critical items. A wet compass located somewhere else or a handheld GPS will provide you the back up directional/nav control.

Otherwise I love the simplicity. :)

Stby instruments

I would either:

1.) ditch all the analog standby instruments for something like the Dynon D10, D6 or Trutrak Gemini or
2.) Replace the compass card with a standby attitude indicator. If your screens go blank keeping the blue side up and the airspeed under control are the two most critical items. A wet compass located somewhere else or a handheld GPS will provide you the back up directional/nav control.

Otherwise I love the simplicity. :)

My RV7 can only be certified for day VFR in France, so keeping the blue side up will be done mainly by looking outside. In that sprit the Skyview is overkill really, but I just like it. However standby airspeed and altimeter are mandatory. That can be done with a single unit such as the dynon D10 as you suggest, or by putting a second Skyview (plus a backup battery in the primary Skyview, as in the "panel of my dreams"). But I'm also looking at total cost. It will all depend how much I have in my wallet at the time of ordering...

My RV7 can only be certified for day VFR in France, so keeping the blue side up will be done mainly by looking outside. In that sprit the Skyview is overkill really, but I just like it. However standby airspeed and altimeter are mandatory. That can be done with a single unit such as the dynon D10 as you suggest, or by putting a second Skyview (plus a backup battery in the primary Skyview, as in the "panel of my dreams"). But I'm also looking at total cost. It will all depend how much I have in my wallet at the time of ordering...

Solves that!

Tassilo - very nice panel!

I'm not at all familiar with the EFIS you are using and unfortunately their web site does not go into alot of detail.

So out of curiosity, may I ask what is it about the FlyMap EFIS that you liked over the ones that are more commonly seen in RVs (Dynon, GRT, MGL, etc...)?

HI Scott,

It is a very easy to use by touch.
It has an ICAO map and all the engine details.
The autopilot is also touchscreen.
It is the prototype for Lycoming engines.
The ultra-light scene, it is very common in Germany and Europe and enjoys a great popularity.

I'll report if it works.

greeting
Tassilo

panel layout

Hi guys, here's the panel I designed for the RV-7A I am building. The concept on this entire aircraft is minimal and almost utilitarian, no moldings or leather in this cockpit! The popular choice of a flat silver sprayed interior with simple two tone fabric seats, arm rests and matched floor mats. The panel is quite sophisticated I think but simple and uncluttered. Intended for dual flying and instruction a complete dual functionality was foremost but to keep it clean and simple was a close second. The complicated theories and electronic design relating to redundancy and backup are something I can discuss later but to say that everything we did in that regard was based on or inspired by the popular Bob Nuckolls school of thought.

This is more about the layout and functionality of the panel and chosen equipment. To start off we are quite enthusiastic supporters of the award-winning MGL range, their tried and tested 'Voyager' EFIS is really impressive and being based a short hop from where we are sealed the deal really.

The panel is divided into three 'faces' two identical left and right, and a central interchangeable face.
To achieve the dual functionality we have installed on either side the 8" Voyager EFIS unit and system independently which uses up most of the real estate on the left and right panel. In solo flying both systems can be utilized and split for pfd, nav, gps and engine but on dual flying the functions can be duplicated or shared.

To get the EFIS units in I had to modify the left and right F-745 ribs by cutting them at the subpanel and then moving and fixing the cutoff parts outwards just outside of the EFIS units. This left a rather large part of the panel unbraced and so I designed a 'rack' frame of sorts to reinforce the panel in the center and creates a box for the two central installation options. I made up two interchangeable 'faces' which attach to the panel here:
The first to which the modified map box is fixed and includes the the MGL VHF and Microair T2000 units,
The second option is a face that is cut to house a Garmin audio stack which will be fitted to the 'rack' .

All the primary and secondary switches and breakers are located on removable faces too and can be serviced, replaced and installed on these faces that screw on to the panel with no effect on the panel itself. They are arranged accordingly with dual flying in mind and primary flying from the left. There is a tiny bit of space to either side of the EFIS units which is available to any additional small installations like a Hobbs meter - iPod installation etc.

For the first few months in the life of this airplane only the left EFIS will be installed, during this time the right hand EFIS space will be used up by an iPad configured for basic flying functionality, housed in a custom fabricated housing designed to fit in that space and allowing quick release of the iPad.:)

320806_10150385632500671_541030670_8984544_1853183317_n.jpg

Here can be seen the installed panel, cut for the units and faces, also behind are the two ribs moved outwards and the custom control knob bracket installed on the panel. All primed and ready for the final coat of flat silver 2k....

545948_10150806703785671_541030670_10145815_1454368391_n.jpg

Last edited:
Cant see the image so clearly (my hardware) but is that a dual full quadrant setup with panel mounted backups?? (don't know what those panel mounted knobs are) Never seen anything like this, my first thought would be that I am very interested in knowing how the dual quadrant is linked up but then I thought about it and can not understand the need for two quadrants - what is wrong with a central single installation? Seems like a **** of a lot of work and complication to me. :confused::confused:

Anyone know how to link the throttles like these?

I've got around 2000 hours in the left seat of yoke-controlled airpanes and only a couple hundred or so in centerline seating stick-controlled airplanes. Still, every time I sit in the left seat of a SBS stick-controlled airplane, my right hand naturally gravitates to the stick. Many claim that you "get used to it", but I'm not sold. To find out how the above pictured airplane is set up, it ight be worthwhile to contact the builder.

If you can drink a beer with your left hand, you won't have a problem with the stick in your left hand. It will leave your right hand free to take notes, adjust radios etc.

The stick never should have been assigned to the dominate hand. Just another past on engineering error like the tail wheel........................:D

If you are able to have a completely symmetrical panel you could have it set up to fly from either side. Only thing that would change is the location of the switches and starter and on the SBS (excluding the 10) nothing is really out of reach.

I am in the same boat as to wanting the stick in the right hand, and it seems somewhat common. My hanger neighbor has his set up for right seat and wouldn't change it for anything.

So go with a symmetrical panel with the throttle in the middle and get the best of both worlds.

-david

If you are able to have a completely symmetrical panel you could have it set up to fly from either side. Only thing that would change is the location of the switches and starter and on the SBS (excluding the 10) nothing is really out of reach.

I am in the same boat as to wanting the stick in the right hand, and it seems somewhat common. My hanger neighbor has his set up for right seat and wouldn't change it for anything.

So go with a symmetrical panel with the throttle in the middle and get the best of both worlds.

-david

Good thought. Never thought about just setting it up for right seat PIC.

FWIW

FWIW, look at helicopter design...if it truly didn't matter and you would "just get used to it" it would make more sense to have the collective towards the center of the aircraft, yet EVERY helicopter I have ever heard of has the stick grip in our right hand and collective in the left. It is so important (to someone...not us) that they have even designed a retract mechanism in the H-60 to aid ingress and egress.

What I meant is that we have lefties but they can't "pick a side" to sit on to fly with their dominant hand, and it works just fine.

As for making it easier to write with, I say fly with your dominant hand, momentarily switch hands to write. I mean, if you have to control the stick AND the prop or something else, you probably shouldn't be writing at that moment!

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter!!!

yet EVERY helicopter I have ever heard of has the stick grip in our right hand and collective in the left. It is so important that they have even designed a retract mechanism in the H-60 to aid ingress and egress.

As a commercial helicopter pilot with lots O' time I can tell you it really doesn't matter. I have mentioned this in the past. When I was building my 7 I was really concerned and had thoughts of building it right seat PIC. That is contrary to most Fixed Wing but the norm in the rotary wing field.

I took my transition with Mike Seager and talked about the concern. He said not to worry. Sure enough. After the first hour I didn't even notice.

I often fly to work and can go from fixed wing to the helicopter in a matter of minutes. Left hand to right hand, left seat to right seat.

Dudes, you're seeking a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. Go out and get some time and you'll see. Not just a ride for a little bit. A real ride with some touch and goes, stalls etc. You'll see. Look at all the 6, 7 and 9's out there that have been built "by the plans." If this was really a problem we would have bent aluminum across the globe:) Don't over think this folks!!!

As a commercial helicopter pilot with lots O' time I can tell you it really doesn't matter. I have mentioned this in the past. When I was building my 7 I was really concerned and had thoughts of building it right seat PIC. That is contrary to most Fixed Wing but the norm in the rotary wing field.

I took my transition with Mike Seager and talked about the concern. He said not to worry. Sure enough. After the first hour I didn't even notice.

I often fly to work and can go from fixed wing to the helicopter in a matter of minutes. Left hand to right hand, left seat to right seat.

Dudes, you're seeking a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. Go out and get some time and you'll see. Not just a ride for a little bit. A real ride with some touch and goes, stalls etc. You'll see. Look at all the 6, 7 and 9's out there that have been built "by the plans." If this was really a problem we would have bent aluminum across the globe:) Don't over think this folks!!!

I totally agree with Darwin.
It is all about familiarity. Once you get that, it will no longer matter.
Now that I have a lot of time in all the RV models, I have no problem flying a 7A from the left, then jumping immediately into an 8/8A, and then jumping into the right seat of an RV-12.
An hour or two and will feel totally natural and you will never look back.

First off, Guys and Gals, let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Hornsby and I'm building an RV-7. I have posted a couple of time here on VAF but have never officially introduced myself. Anyway, I just wanted to post a few pictures of my project, in particular my panel. I'll upload more pictures of the rest of project later on. I hope I'm doing this upload correctly and that I'm not interfering with someone else's thread.

Thank you,

Mark

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp346/mhornsbycrna/

RV 9A Panel

Ready for paint, labels and wiring. Hopefully the VP-X and Approach Fast Stack will ease the pain somewhat

kakbb4.jpg
[/IMG]

My RV-6 first flew with this panel, in 2000:
Dscf0095a.jpg

Changed it a little in 2010:
RVPanel2.jpg

Finally built a new panel in June '12:
RVPanel3.jpg

Finally built a new panel in June '12:
RVPanel3.jpg

I guess I'm a little bit more critical now than most re interior layouts as a result of being involved as a passenger in a violent RV6A accident some time back. Your new avionics look great but in upgrading it might have made some sense to consider eliminating a few of those quite sharp corners you have in the vicinity of your knees at the bottom of the panel. We aim for the best, but sometimes it's also good to plan for the worst. ;)

Last edited:
I guess I'm a little bit more critical now than most re interior layouts as a result of being involved as a passenger in a violent RV6A accident some time back. Your new avionics look great but in upgrading it might have made some sense to consider eliminating a few of those quite sharp corners you have in the vicinity of your knees at the bottom of the panel. We aim for the best, but sometimes it's also good to plan for the worst. ;)

I hadn't given it a thought! I went to all the trouble of putting strong padding on my glareshield and forgot the lower panel area. The stuff in the center is clear of our knees but the vents are quite close to my outboard knee. I'll have to look into some changes. Thanks.

HI guys,

Here's my new RV-7 (slider) panel.
We hope over the next two months to fly;-)

k-dsc07618_lbb.jpg

k-dsc07511_lbb.jpg

2x Flymap XL Displays ( www.flymap.de )
1x PowerFlarm Display ( http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php/en/ )
Std. 57mm Winter Instruments
Becker 4201 radio
Becker Transponder
Hi Tassilo,
I plan to install a TCAS in my RV7, which I'm not the builder, just purchased it a few months ago. How does the PowerFlarm works for you on detecting xponder "C"class signals ? I was going to the Zaon, but than I remembered the PowerFlarm ...

Tks for the help !

My Panel

I recently finished my panel. I have two 10" SkyView displays, a PS Engineering 8000BT audio panel, Garmin GTN-635 GPS/COMM, and TruTrak Gemini PFD. I'm using the Dynon autopilot and transponder

IMG_0483.JPG

This is the upper left of the panel. All of the switches here with red boots are only manipulated during startup and shutdown. The other switches should only be used in emergency situations. Separating these switches from the others in the panel means that there is no chance that they will ever be accidentally hit in flight since I have no reason to even put my hand up there on the panel. The Gemini PFD is also right in my line of sight in case I ever need to use it due to a SkyView failure in IMC.

IMG_0484.JPG

Below the Gemini are a couple of control cables for the alternate air and oil cooler butterfly valve. The alt air cable is red because it's for emergency use only (since it can't be reset from the cockpit). To the right of the control cables are the exterior lights. These are both three position switches.

IMG_0470.JPG

To the right of the exterior lights are the interior lights (both with dimmers) and the fuel pump and flaps switches. The flaps switch is easily reachable while my hand is on the throttle.

IMG_0472.JPG

The top of the radio stack has my custom annunciator switches as well as a test button and a dimmer. This dimmer also dims the Gemini PFD screen since it doesn't auto dim.

IMG_0475.JPG

The engine start switch is near the mixture control which should make starting a little less clumsy. I normally wouldn't have considered putting the engine start switch within reach of the passenger, but the VP-X disables that switch once the engine is running. The parking brake cable is just to the right of the engine controls.

IMG_0477.JPG

The far right of the panel has the heater controls. There are dimmers for the seat heaters as well as a control cable for the cabin heat.

IMG_0479.JPG

The top right of the panel has the only two breakers (both pull-able) as well as the Hobbs meter, ELT remote and passenger warning.

IMG_0480.JPG

Awesome Jason. I love the attention to detail and thought put into location of everything, very logical and thought out.

Careful, guys.

Jason and Tassilo, beautiful panels both...BUT, both of you guys have the throttles moved far to the left.

I recently checked a new owner out in his new-to-him -9A and when I showed him the correct way to check controls...all the way right and then forward, the engine revved up, much to our surprise! The pilot's stick hit the throttle smack-dab head on and pushed it forward an inch or more.

Carefully check for this before first flight, guys.

Beautiful work,

Best,

Pierre, the engine control bracket is shifted to the right so that the prop control is centered. The pilot's stick misses the throttle control in all positions.

I painted the panel with Stewart System EkoPoxy paint that I had color matched to the leather I'm using. I used the DecalPro system to label the panel with a clear coat over it.

My Panel

Hi Friends!
I'm a new folk here and i would like to share with you some pics of my plane that has just become complete... i'm now waiting just for paper work from Brazil's National Civil Aviation Agency to fly this baby to his home...
486234_364581136945277_1520892910_n.jpg

Some really nice panels. What did you guys use for a finish and the labels?

I am having mine powdercoated as we speak and am having an pin stripe artist paint my labels, Hopefully it turns out like I am expecting! Pictures should be up sometime next week!

This is the second panel for N941WR. The original is back on page 15 of this thread.

New%2520Panel%25202.JPG

That is a 10" Dynon SkyView on the left, Garmin 496 at the top of the radio stack, Sigtronics 200S and ELT panel under the 496, and iCom A210.

On the right side is a Dynon D1 PocketPanel and below that is the EICommander.

Further to the right is my dual power port and last but not least is the Carbon Monoxide detector.

In the center is a DJM throttle quadrant, which I highly recommend.

The 496 was left in the plane because I knew how it worked and it gives me weather.

Missing from the picture is the transponder. That is now incorporated into the SkyView, thus no panel space is taken up by it.

This has turned out to be a very functional VFR panel and easy to fly with, not to mention easy to make.

Last edited:
iPad rules

It's pretty sad when you install all that fancy high dollar dynon equipment but still feel the need to mount an $800 iPad smack dab in the middle of it! :(

Hey, I'm not knocking it, my panel has a spot for one too.:D I flew a G1000 today but only used my yoke mounted iPad for navigation. Never touched the g1000 mfd.

For the dough you shell out for these PFD's/MFD's these days you'd think it would at least do everything an iPad does, to boot.

big red button

Flyguytki,
the big red button looks good in there. Good job. I also like your throttle setup. There may be a conversion in my future. Do you have details on your throttle setup?

For me there is a lot of function that can come from the ipad so I don't see it being "sad" at all.

Electronic Checklist
Bluetooth Music
Charts
Backup weather
Movies
Flight Planning
....... and the list goes on.......

Flyguytki,
the big red button looks good in there. Good job. I also like your throttle setup. There may be a conversion in my future. Do you have details on your throttle setup?

The quadrant came from Bonehead Composites (advertiser on the left hand side). What it consists of is a center tunnel, the vertical quadrant and then Floor boards for both sides. There was alot of work that goes into it as they come to you completely solid and need everything cut and fit.

I love the design and how the quadrant sits out of the way but is still right where it needs to be, I have a few more pictures on my website I will try and pull out.

Let me know what other questions you have I would be more than happy to answer them.

-david

David, your panel looks great. I would love to have exactly what you have. Nice layout and job putting it all together. Thanks for the photos showing how you did things. I just got my engine and will be working on it along with trying to decide on the panel.

I have never used an Ipad, but my son says they are great. He will be made company commander at his Army National Guard unit the first of the month and he uses it for all kinds of planning and flight prep. We are going up for the change in command and I will have to check out his Ipad. For the cost, they look like they are worth every penny.

For me there is a lot of function that can come from the ipad so I don't see it being "sad" at all.

Electronic Checklist
Bluetooth Music
Charts
Backup weather
Movies
Flight Planning
....... and the list goes on.......

I totally agree, to clarify my post; what is sad is that you can get all of "that" in an iPad, but not in $10k worth of avionics. So, basically, even after dropping $25k on a panel, one still needs to throw an iPad in the mix to have what they really want/need. Your panel is great. I just wish for all of us that someday, if you drop 25k on a panel, you won't have to bring the iPad along too.

I totally agree, to clarify my post; what is sad is that you can get all of "that" in an iPad, but not in $10k worth of avionics. So, basically, even after dropping $25k on a panel, one still needs to throw an iPad in the mix to have what they really want/need. Your panel is great. I just wish for all of us that someday, if you drop 25k on a panel, you won't have to bring the iPad along too.

Totally agree! One of my many goals in the panel is I wanted as few if not zero subscriptions needed. I'm hoping with the Dynon adsb and the iPad I can achieve this. So far so good.

G3X Done!

Panel in finally!

Panel.jpg

Stein did the wiring and I did the plug and play. Stein was fantastic to work with BTW. ANY questions and I mean ANY questions, they always had someone for me to speak to. I will buy any and all of my stuff from them from now on.

2 GDU screens (G3X Screens in layman's)
GTN 650
GMA 240
GX Pilot auto Pilot
GT 50 G-Meter and Clock-timer etc...
GLD39 ADSB in and out
GTX 330 Mode "S" remote transponder.

Better start planning some cross country flights. Cause if I bought all of this and stay 50 miles from the house I'm-a-gonna be mad!!

Last edited:
Back