What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not getting much building done, but...

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I need another set of hands to bend my elevator leading edges and both EAA chapters around here hold their meetings on different Thursdays. Woudln't you know it, I'm away at work every Thursday this month!

I'm not getting much building done, but I have taken to drawing RV's! At least this way I can dream...

Here's an RV-7 and RV-8 I made. The Rv-8 has my buddy Bill Cowden's paint job.

MarkRV7.png

MarkRV8.png

These take a long time to make, but they sure are fun to do!

Thanks Steve. I just looked for pics on the net to copy a paint scheme for the RV-7. I did change some things though. I made his wingtips and spinner red jsut because for the illustration it gave it more 'life'.

He also has antennas on the bottom and I put one on top. IT was just for fun and wasn't meant to be exact. I just liked the big white numbers...er...letters...on the tail-looks cool!

Hello,

Here I am :D

We got our colour scheme from Randy Lervold's RV3 and RV8.

A variation is now used on the Hangar 9 RV8

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hangar_9_rv_8_46_arf_oversize_81175_prd1.htm

We thought about the red spinner and tips but decided on white as that's how it came from MT.

We are constrained to 12" letters in the UK, that's why a lot of people use 3 Letter I's in the registration - it fits on the tailplane !

Last edited:
Scott - there are a number of programs that can be used to draw illustrations. Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint Shop, Corel Draw, and others. Pick a program and practice! I will admit that over the last 4 months, I probably have around 250 hours on the computer drawing these illustrations.

There have been days where I start at 6:30 in the morning and haven't stopped until bed time. The only breaks were to eat! It's addicting. Or, it's like learning a musical instrument. Some people spend entire days practicing the guitar for example.

Ok, Here's a fairly accurate drawing of G-IVII...

Prints_RV7_GIVII_2.png

Wow I realized how dumb the props looked on those drawings. I reworked the prop and think this one looks much better!

RV7_Vans-1.png

Last edited:
Back