What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

horizontal stab. attachment

billdianne

Patron
I am building a RV8. On drawing #78 under horizontal stab.attach it shows the 4 forward bolts installed with the bolts pointed down. Is there any reason (that I can't think of) for not installing the Bolts pointing up? I know best practices say bolts should be pointing down but it seems with the bolts pointed up it seems like it would be easier to torque and inspect in the future. Am I missing something?
Has anybody done this?

Thanks

Radical thought...

Makes way too much sense, but it does violate the 'bolt installation protocol'. :eek:
Mechanically there is no difference. If those nuts come loose, it's not going to make a bit of difference which way they are pointed.
Mine are pointed down, so I have to get the mirror out to check them (used torque seal).
Our EAA chapter just had a presentation from a guy who used to work for LockTite. After hearing his presentation, I'd recommend using the stuff on most bolts - in addition to torque seal for inspection purposes.

Doesn't matter in this case

Bill, the convention of pointing bolts down isn't a hard and fast rule. In some cases, orientation is important, but not here.

On our 8, we did put the bolts in from the top but only because the nuts would have interfered with other hardware.

edit: here's how it looks

fuselage053b.jpg

Back