What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle hanging up...

David-aviator

Well Known Member
...CT 82F DELUXE QUADRANT.

Of late my throttle has been hanging up, not stuck, just difficult to move. Releasing the locking knob had no effect.

In checking the thing over, I found the throttle lever is binding in the top surface slot it resides in. I lubed the slot and lever and it moves much better.

In looking at a photo of CT 82F in Vans catalog, the lever is not in the slot, it is outside the slot on the outboard side. (?)

I am wondering if I installed the device correctly.

It is the same set up with CT83F, the 3 lever deal for CS prop. That photo also shows the throttle lever out side the slotted piece and not in the slot.

How have you installed your CT82 or CT83 throttle lever. Is it in the slot on the piece with lettering or outboard of the top piece?

David, that picture in Vans catalog is kind of deceiving. If you enlarge the picture you will see the throttle arm is in the slot not outside of it.

David, that picture in Vans catalog is kind of deceiving. If you enlarge the picture you will see the throttle arm is in the slot not outside of it.

Well thanks for doing that, Bill.

I will continue the mission and not think about it any more, the throttle is working fine with a little white silicone grease in the slot.

Sure sounds like a throttle cable is failing. Get stiffer and finally hang completely or break.

Throttle Cable

I have replaced my Throttle Cable twice because it got hard to move. It is because it passes close to the exhaust pipe as it gets close to the bracket holding it before it connects to the Fuel Servo (FI). The heat from the pipe melts the lining in the cable. I have fire sleeve on the cable and a heat deflector, but over time it still gets hard to move. Same with Mixture Cable.

Proceedure for stuck throttle?

Just what I was thinking - and I speak from experience.

OK, I have to ask,
What is the best procedure for loss of engine throttle in cruise or descent assuming your power setting is high enough to sustain flight?

I've replaced the prop control for the reasons Stu mentioned.

Use the mixture if prop is stuck open or close to open. It'll run rough when you reduce power (very lean) but you'll have instant power when you need it.

OK, I have to ask,
What is the best procedure for loss of engine throttle in cruise or descent assuming your power setting is high enough to sustain flight?

Simple - cable doesn't go from "working fine" to "stuck tight" in one flight. You get plenty of warning, so listen to your plane talking to you. When something doesn't work right, fix it before leaving the ground, and you'll minimize the excitement.

Oh yeah - mixture can be used in an emergency.

The throttle cables are OK.

Have flown 4 or 5 times since applying a bit of silicone grease to lever where it resides in the slot, it is normal, no hang up.

The fit at the slot is tight. It was dry and binding slightly.

Problem over for now....there is a heat issue with 4 pipe exhaust system and will keep an eye on it. The cables are heat shielded but as others have pointed out, eventually the plastic in the cable breaks down.

Back