What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

US Customs Clearing for Prop Inspection

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I've arranged for "linehaul only" shipping of my propeller from Canada to the US for its teardown inspection. The carrier tells me I need to arrange for brokerage before they pick up tomorrow. Do I need to go through a broker for a shipment with no commercial value? Is there another way, or do brokers deal with this without a huge brokerage fee?

I've arranged for "linehaul only" shipping of my propeller from Canada to the US for its teardown inspection. The carrier tells me I need to arrange for brokerage before they pick up tomorrow. Do I need to go through a broker for a shipment with no commercial value? Is there another way, or do brokers deal with this without a huge brokerage fee?
"Somebody" has to get it through US Customs. If the shipping company doesn't have a Customs service section then a local broker, or you, have to go there and do it. Most brokers use a small percentage of the item's value as the fee. You will have to ask for the cost.

:cool:

Just got a commercial invoice form from the brokerage and I have no idea what to do with it. There is no sale of anything but nowhere to allow that, I don't know the codes for the boxes. What a nightmare this is. I'm seriously thinking of cancelling the whole thing and using a courier who will deal with all of this for me.

Sorry for that mess but can’t someone in Canada do the inspection?

No, Whirl Wind Aviation doesn't have any shops in Canada.

I had enough of the frustration and just shipped it via Purolator, probably a little cheaper, a little quicker and no hassle. Next time my prop comes up for the tear down, I'm flying it down and waiting while they do the work.

There is 2 ways
You can ship with value of 1$ (and in this case you will not have insurance)
Make sure you keep way bill with proper description and serial number.
When whirl wind will ship back make sure value is 1$ and serial number is on the way bill ( No Insurance)
in this case you will have to contact carrier or customs for explanation when it is on the a way back

Or Pass by Local customs office at local airport
and ask them to make documents for shipping and return of Canadian goods.
This way you can declare value, have insurance and not pay taxes on the return
Of Canadian goods

good luck

When I bought my WhirlWind prop, they sent it FEDEX and the brokerage fee/service was included in the shipping price. Whatever you do, AVOID using UPS to ship into Canada as their brokerage fees are ridiculous. USPS is first choice (if available), FEDEX next.

No, Whirl Wind Aviation doesn't have any shops in Canada.

I had enough of the frustration and just shipped it via Purolator, probably a little cheaper, a little quicker and no hassle. Next time my prop comes up for the tear down, I'm flying it down and waiting while they do the work.

Mine originally came UPS Freight but I had already learned of how bad their brokerage costs were. I used a 3rd party broker (Clearit) and it was quite reasonable.

Back