What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I fit the empennage out of a 10ft door?

kirkbauer

I'd like to build as much as possible at home instead of the hangar. I just finished the elevators and am about to move on to the tailcone. Based on some research, I see that the tailcone is about 9 feet long (without the rudder installed from what I can tell).

My garage door is 10-ft wide. I'm thinking if I build the empennage and then attach the HS and VS, I can get it through the door sideways. I assume I'll need to detach the rudder to get it through the door. Obviously, I can't bring it straight through the door because the HS is wider than my door opening.

Can anybody help me confirm that if I build this thing inside my 1-car garage that I'll be able to get it through the door when I'm done?

(When completed, I'll need to transfer the empennage from my garage to my hangar so that I have space to build the fuselage next)

Last edited:
I suggest a slight re-think. Build up the tail feathers with the bolts snug but not torqued. Adjust everything, make sure it works. Then remove the tail feathers, there’s not that much work involved. It’s easier to attach the tailcone to the fuselage when it’s as light as possible. Put the tail feathers on later.

It may be easier to move it through the doorway at an angle and it will also help if the garage inside is wider than the 10' door.
In situations like this I've used a drawing in CAD to simulate the move/fit and it can also be done with a scale cutout using graph paper. You can try moving the paper plane various ways through the door to see what works.

I suggest a slight re-think. Build up the tail feathers with the bolts snug but not torqued. Adjust everything, make sure it works. Then remove the tail feathers, there’s not that much work involved. It’s easier to attach the tailcone to the fuselage when it’s as light as possible. Put the tail feathers on later.

This is what I did for similar reasons. Not having the horizontal and vertical on while moving to the airport reduces risk too. Get going too fast and you’ll get some lift generated.

This is what I did for similar reasons. Not having the horizontal and vertical on while moving to the airport reduces risk too. Get going too fast and you’ll get some lift generated.

Yeah, you remove the empennage when you transport. Or you need a wide load permit (wide load in GA is >8.5').

Agree with the others. Build up everything to ensure proper fit/function and then remove HS/VS. This allows for easier attachment and safer transport.

Back