What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Companion pilot for cross country flights

maximo64

If anyone needs a companion pilot, I'd like to fly cross country in North America (any nice course, preferably starting from Florida). I live in Argentina and I plan to travel to Florida during July. I am a private pilot, with 400 hours of experience. I have flown Piper Tomahawk, Piper Lance, C152, RV6, and Bristell Classic. I currently own an RV6-A that I fly almost every weekend. If someone needs a travel/pilot companion to fly cross country I can help from serving coffee, piloting the plane, to interpreting an IFR chart.

Thank you !

(I am willing to pay for my meals and accomodation).

Maximo Lema

BTW. Is there any web page or app for this kind of offerings ?

EAA Airventure is happening in July, and I bet lot's of Floridians will be flying cross country to attend. EAA used to have a RideShare option on their website, where you could coordinate getting to Airventure, via flying or driving, but it appears to be defunct (https://www.eaa.org/airventure/transportation/rideshare).

If you don't have any takers by July, I would suggest you visit some local airports or EAA chapters near where you will be staying in Fl when you get there and get some local color on who goes to Airventure and might be looking for a ride-along.

I have no idea on what privileges your Argentinian PPL gives you legally here in the US, if that's what you have, but that shouldn't prevent you from being a very knowledgable "passenger" at the very least.

Max…,
You might be able to work this out with multiple rides in opposite directions. I’ll be flying up to OSH on Sunday (or maybe Saturday) before the show in my RV6. I’ll be flying out of Cincinnati, so you’d have to find your way there. I’ll be carrying camping gear for HBC, so payload a little limited, but my tent can easily handle two. You are welcome to ride with me, and camp with me if we can fit you in. We could work out the payload limitations with UPS, or something similar. I will be leaving OSH on Wednesday (weather permitting), so your ride home may vary. Either way - hope to see you at Oshkosh.

This is a good idea !. I will try to contact in advance some chapters, schools, or flying clubs in FL. It is a pity that this option does not exist on the EAA website. Thnks !

Max…,
You might be able to work this out with multiple rides in opposite directions. I’ll be flying up to OSH on Sunday (or maybe Saturday) before the show in my RV6. I’ll be flying out of Cincinnati, so you’d have to find your way there. I’ll be carrying camping gear for HBC, so payload a little limited, but my tent can easily handle two. You are welcome to ride with me, and camp with me if we can fit you in. We could work out the payload limitations with UPS, or something similar. I will be leaving OSH on Wednesday (weather permitting), so your ride home may vary. Either way - hope to see you at Oshkosh.

Scott, That's a good option you offer. I'll see if I can make the trip in stages and surely I'll let you know how the plans are going. Thank you for this !

Companion Pilot

I may be paranoid but the idea of a virtual stranger with free access to the controls concerns me.

Don’t ever become a CFI…..or apply for an airline position……

No intention of being a CFI. The airlines screen people since the German Wings mass murder.

Last edited:
I may be paranoid but the idea of a virtual stranger with free access to the controls concerns me.

I understand your concern. However, it is not my case. I have been a member of this forum since 2010. I lived in the United States between 1981 and 1985 in Indiana, at Purdue University (got a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering). I have an RV6A with registration LV-X429. Bought it from its first owner in Oregon (USA) in 2009. If you ever visit Argentina I am at the GEZ (General Rodriguez) Airport near Buenos Aires, and you are invited for a flight.

Maximo.

For what it's worth, I put out the same call a couple of years ago looking for a spare seat from Anywhere to Oshkosh.
With thanks to Mark (thanks again Mark!) I got to fly from San Francisco across the country in the back of an RV-8 over a few days. So much more to see and experience from there in comparison to being in the back of a Boeing.

I'm very grateful for this forum and its members that enabled this adventure, and I can now say I've flown into Oshkosh too!

Are you still in the States? I'm going to go pick up my plane in North Carolina and fly it home to Texas on August 2. Up to now I have someone to occupy the right seat but if he has any problems and can't make it I'll know on August 1. If you're then available you could come fly with me.

Since it's not an RV, it cruises at 95mph and has a 2 hour + reserves fuel tank, so about 10 hours to get it home. You'll build those hours but it'll be a one day trip on August 2 in a PZL-104 Wilga.

Let me know if you want to be the first one on the stand by list. If anyone else wants to fly slow and get on the list let me know too.

Back