What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre Drilled Z Brackets

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Can someone please explain the difference between the 2 types of z brackets in the Vans store (which are predrilled). I have 14 brackets from another builder (i was told I had 10 + 4) but other than a line running down the web (on different sides) for the life of me I can't see any other differences? What am I missing?

Predrilled

Can someone please explain the difference between the 2 types of z brackets in the Vans store (which are predrilled). I have 14 brackets from another builder (i was told I had 10 + 4) but other than a line running down the web (on different sides) for the life of me I can't see any other differences? What am I missing?

I didn't know the predrilled were available for 7 kits.
If they aren't drilled, there's a great technique for locating holes that works perfect. I forgot the builder who came up with it, but it's detailed on my blog.

I’m guessing the 8 Z bracket kits work for the 7. Pre-drilled require much less work, definitely worth a couple extra $$. The pre drilled option started shipping in kits in early 2021.

The inboard bracket is different. That bracket doesn't require nutplates and the holes are closer to the edge so that you can get a socket on it to tighten the bolt.

Turns out I have the old Z brackets which have been (I'm assuming) match drilled on the flange for the baffle attach. The holes are shoddy on the baffle side (elongated etc) and given the propensity for fuel leaks in that area I'll ditch them and order new ones. Thanks all.

Z-brackets

Turns out I have the old Z brackets which have been (I'm assuming) match drilled on the flange for the baffle attach. The holes are shoddy on the baffle side (elongated etc) and given the propensity for fuel leaks in that area I'll ditch them and order new ones. Thanks all.

The method works. Check out my blog.
It takes a bit more effort but the result is perfectly aligned holes and tanks.

Back