What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Enlarge holes in gear mount 7A?

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
The powder coating in the holes of the gear mount weldement create a pretty tight fit for the bolts. Did anyone run a reamer through them?

Gear weldments

The powder coating in the holes of the gear mount weldement create a pretty tight fit for the bolts. Did anyone run a reamer through them?

Vans told me to file the area as required. Mine were just off in alignment to the wing spar holes. Lots of on and off. It wasn't fun.

I’m having a hard time fitting it. It doesn’t go in and out very easily. I removed the little rib on the main spar which helped but the main spar flange on top interferes.

Last edited:
Which bolt holes are you questioning; the 5/16" for the gear legs, or the bolts that attach the mount to the spar? The 5/16 should not be enlarged and the single bolt should be a snug fit. The bolts that attach the mount to the spar can be reamed to fit, it is not that critical, these holes are actually drilled by the builder in the older kits, so there is some tolerance.

Last edited:
Nutplates

I’m having a hard time fitting it. It doesn’t go in and out very easily. I removed the little tub on the main spar rib which helped but the main spar flange on top interferes.

There were two or three nutplates each side that caused me trouble. I removed them and the weldment slipped right in. I used a borescope to look through the spar holes to identify interference. Marked the locations. Removed and filed. Lather, rinse, repeat. Took about 10 trips. Very little removed.

Thanks Larry about the nutplates. I removed them and things got much easier.

Turns out my other problem was solved when I noticed an interfering rivet (both sides). It was of the the 426 4-6 rivets in the gear attach web. I filed down the weldement around the rivet and it then fit nicely.

Double flush rivets

Thanks Larry about the nutplates. I removed them and things got much easier.

Turns out my other problem was solved when I noticed an interfering rivet (both sides). It was of the the 426 4-6 rivets in the gear attach web. I filed down the weldement around the rivet and it then fit nicely.

There's about five double flush skin rivets either end of the Center Section. If they were standard shop heads, they won't allow the weldment to fit correctly

Also, check plans carefully. There's a washer inserted somewhere as a spacer. Sorry, cant remember exactly where vut it has to be there or the weldment won't sit flush.

Back