Old 11-30-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I hope you are kidding.
If Ford can do it, Van's can do it.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 11-30-2021, 03:47 PM

I agree that electric propulsion is the future of transportation, after all, dino juice can't last forever, But the obvious elephant in the room is that with current battery technology, there isn't a viable solution that can pack enough electrons into an airplane to actually go anywhere without making it too heavy to be practical...

A quick google search seems to indicate that the battery pack on the Ford Mach-E weighs a little over 1,000 lbs!
Fuselage almost done
Avionics almost done
90% done, 90% to go
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 11-30-2021, 04:29 PM

Default Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
... dino juice can't last forever, l...

A quick google search seems to indicate that the battery pack on the Ford Mach-E weighs a little over 1,000 lbs!
Some of us believe "dino juice" is constantly being created (re generated) in the earth's crust. so for us "far out" guys, the question becomes are we consuming it faster than it is being created?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-30-2021, 05:08 PM

I went up today and it was cold! Michigan in winter s not a friendly place. I was glad I had my heater - even as limited as it is at least I have one. No such luck in an elect plane. It takes too much of the battery power. I dont see much of a future for elect flight other than a novelty. Nuclear or other alternates - hopefully.
Flying N376E
Old 11-30-2021, 05:17 PM

In its current form, don't nuclear reactors just make steam that turns turbines and makes electricity? Have I got that wrong?

Seems like a nuclear airplane is pretty out there, but you would surely have plenty of heat!

perhaps dilithium chrystals are the answer
Fuselage almost done
Avionics almost done
90% done, 90% to go
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 11-30-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
SNIP

Seems like a nuclear airplane is pretty out there, but you would surely have plenty of heat! SNIP
Nuclear power for bombers was a massive development effort in the late 50s. Common sense finally prevailed and the program was killed.

Carl
Old 11-30-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I agree that electric propulsion is the future of transportation, after all, dino juice can't last forever, But the obvious elephant in the room is that with current battery technology, there isn't a viable solution that can pack enough electrons into an airplane to actually go anywhere without making it too heavy to be practical....
According to Aviation Week and Space Technology, a number of companies are developing electric aircraft of various types. There is big money and a bunch of talent there. And more than one, I think, are well on their way to getting FAA certification.

Dave
Old 11-30-2021, 05:40 PM

+1 for Dilithium crystals
Old 11-30-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
According to Aviation Week and Space Technology, a number of companies are developing electric aircraft of various types. There is big money and a bunch of talent there. And more than one, I think, are well on their way to getting FAA certification.

Dave
There is many companies into the urban mobility like air taxi where long range isn't an issue. The urban infrastructure can also support rapid charging at established sites. However, the battery density is limiting the kind of airplane performance we are accustomed to. For a small LSA, anything short range and low speed within 1 - 2 hours is doable, much like flight training. Beyond that, fossil fuel wins out by a wide margin.
Days to First Flight: 999
Painting: 99% completed
Donation paid through 2022
Old 12-01-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I agree that electric propulsion is the future of transportation, after all, dino juice can't last forever...
There is a third way: biofuels. About as sustainable and carbon-neutral as a battery, with about the same energy density as fossil fuels.

One possibility is synthetic UL91, which has already been used to fuel a Rotax-912-powered Ikarus C42.

Another possibility is ethanol. (By "ethanol" I mean pure ethanol, E85 to E100, not "gasoline with some ethanol in it" like the E15 that we buy at the gas station). It does pose some challenges - which is why engine companies like Lycoming and Rotax tell us to avoid it - but it is possible to overcome those challenges through R&D, and (after enough testing and some minor modifications) to run most piston airplane engines on ethanol. In Brazil, a large fraction of cars have been running on ethanol for decades, and cropdusters are powered by certified IO-540 engines that run on ethanol. It's not rocket science. It's just a matter of testing materials until you find reliable ones that are not corroded by ethanol, for things like fuel lines and gaskets and fuel pumps and so on.

A third possibility is biodiesel / synthetic Jet-A, which is what most people mean when they say "Sustainable Aviation Fuel". This is already used by airlines and jet manufacturers and bizjet operators and the USAF and Navy. However, there are only very few people who fly piston-powered airplanes who want diesel engines, which have the side benefit of being able to burn Jet-A. I won't go into all the pros and cons of those engines, other than to say that their high price seems to prevent them from becoming super popular.

For example, the Vanguard Squadron has been flying RVs on biofuels for many years.

I would not recommend that anyone start flying their airplane on ethanol, or any other alternative fuel, without first developing a thorough understanding of how each material in your fuel system holds up to years of exposure to the fuel in question, including mixtures with water, or on surfaces that is mostly exposed to air but occasionally to fuel, etc. When you start using an alternative fuel before there are reliable materials and modifications for it on the market (based on R&D and, ideally, years of experience), you're basically engineering your own fuel system.

But it's only a matter of time until we all have to choose one of these options, and are forced to do the R&D and testing and modifications required to safely use synthetic fuels (or hydrogen) or to improve batteries, because dino juice won't last forever.
Worked on wind-tunnel research, on design & modeling of rocket & jet engines, control systems for UAVs & spacecraft, jetliner maintenance planning, lab tests & computer modeling of innovative aero structures, future airplane designů But I have always wanted to work for a small company, on airplanes optimized for fun rather than profit, and no airplane is more fun than an RV!

Last edited by Bernardo : 12-02-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Clarification: "Ethanol" means "pure ethanol". Added line about hydrogen and batteries, linked to FAA Climate Action Plan.