What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hard Eight Tomorrow?

339A

Well Known Member
Well I'm in Amarillo working and got nothing to do tomorrow. Looking for a place to fly and eat, supposed to be a great day! :D Thought I'd see if anyone was heading out for some lunch.... or I'm open to suggestions. :cool:

Regards,

I was there last Sunday

Can't think of anywhere around there better than Amarillo itself. Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any appealing places to eat anymore in this strange economy. If you just want to "fly any try" you could go to Lubbock, TX, Tucumcari, MN, Elk City, OK (had a courtesy car the last time I flew in there), or Oklahoma City. OK but ground transportation is always part of the adventure. Good luck.

Bob Axsom

P.S. Like your quote from "The Edge" - hard to miss if you own an airplane. There is a Niki Lauda quote in response to James Hunt as they are standing in a hangar by Lauda's Lear at the end of the new movie "Rush" (that just opened yesterday) about the romance of flight that I though was good in a very raw and honest way.

B.A.

Last edited:
Hard 8 Stephenville

If you head to the Hard 8, it is awesome!!!

If you haven't been in there before, watch for the HUGE radio tower on the east to NE side of the airport. Of course it's on all the charts, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Fly safe! Oh, and don't try to eat the Big Texan steak in Amarillo. I can eat (!) but had no luck with that endeavor :)

Can't think of anywhere around there better than Amarillo itself. Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any appealing places to eat anymore in this strange economy. If you just want to "fly any try" you could go to Lubbock, TX, Tucumcari, MN, Elk City, OK (had a courtesy car the last time I flew in there), or Oklahoma City. OK but ground transportation is always part of the adventure. Good luck.

Bob Axsom

P.S. Like your quote from "The Edge" - hard to miss if you own an airplane. There is a Niki Lauda quote in response to James Hunt as they are standing in a hangar by Lauda's Lear at the end of the new movie "Rush" (that just opened yesterday) about the romance of flight that I though was good in a very raw and honest way.

B.A.

Thanks Bob. I have pretty much "eatin" my way around Amarillo. So much so that I headed over to Vega, TX to check out a restaurant called the "Boot Hill Saloon" pretty good steak, but nothing to brag about. I'm alone on this trip, so not as much fun without Deb...

BTW, The Edge ranks in my top ten movies, Great Flick and Anthony Hopkins plays that part so well. Looking forward to seeing "Rush" and now will be on the lookout for the quote. Hope to be back home in Denver by Thursday. Would like to make the LOE fly in. Haven't registered yet though, due to my lack of being able to predict my future. :rolleyes:

If you head to the Hard 8, it is awesome!!!

If you haven't been in there before, watch for the HUGE radio tower on the east to NE side of the airport. Of course it's on all the charts, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Fly safe! Oh, and don't try to eat the Big Texan steak in Amarillo. I can eat (!) but had no luck with that endeavor :)

Been to The Hard Eight several times, without a doubt the place that Deb and I compare all BBQ to!! Thought I might get the Cards to "bite". Oh well... :p Tried the Big Texan once when I was here a couple years ago. It was OK, but not that impressive. Although the Man vs Food guy managed to put that 72 oz steak down. :eek:

Would be nice but we're heading to Salida and then up to Leadville to check out the new snow.

Snow...

Would be nice but we're heading to Salida and then up to Leadville to check out the new snow.

Fall colors and snow! Should save that trip for LOE next weekend. We could plan a fly out to Salida or maybe Steamboat Springs, I have never landed there. :cool: Hope to make it back in time.

Winds over the rock pile were a little to stong this morning so at Chatfield we diverted to KGXY. Turned out to be a nice site seeing tour up the valley highway. Breakfast was good with the return trip over Longmont, Boulder, Golden, Morrison and then back over Buckley AFB to KFTG..

SO MAYBE NEXT WEEKEND!

Back