What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TRUTRAK Digiflight II VSGV

I have the TRUTRAK Digiflight II VSGV autopilot installed in my RV-7A. It is at software/firmware V2.34. I have not been able to get "GPSS" to display on the AP display indicating that is in GPS steering mode. Rather the AP displays "EXT LS" when switched from heading mode which I presume means it is receiving ARINC Lateral Steering commands from the GTN-650. The AP seems to be working as if in GPSS mode (Roll Steering) as it anticipates turns before overflying waypoints. I recently read in a GRT forum that TRUTRAC Systems at some point replaced "GPSS" with "EXT LS" in some versions of the Digiflight II VSGV autopilots. Can anyone (preferably from TRUTRAC) confirm this.

Thank You

I have the TRUTRAK Digiflight II VSGV autopilot installed in my RV-7A. It is at software/firmware V2.34. I have not been able to get "GPSS" to display on the AP display indicating that is in GPS steering mode. Rather the AP displays "EXT LS" when switched from heading mode which I presume means it is receiving ARINC Lateral Steering commands from the GTN-650. The AP seems to be working as if in GPSS mode (Roll Steering) as it anticipates turns before overflying waypoints. I recently read in a GRT forum that TRUTRAC Systems at some point replaced "GPSS" with "EXT LS" in some versions of the Digiflight II VSGV autopilots. Can anyone (preferably from TRUTRAC) confirm this.

Thank You

It's all working correctly. The display changed from GPSS to EXT LS when we added more capabilities and interfaces. The autopilot really following the ARINC 429 GPSS signals. :)

Updated Documentation

Andrew, thanks for the response. Is there new or updated documentation that details some of the new capabilities? It's really frustrating when something doesn't work the way the documentation says it should, and you spend time questioning whether you have a problem or not, whether you are doing something wrong or have something configured incorrectly. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but making EFIS's, GPS's and AP'S work together is difficult enough without trying to correct problems that don't exist. Please pass this sentiment on to the powers that be at BK/Honeywell that quality documentation is vitally important to many of us, who often times don't know a whole lot about how to make this stuff work together correctly. Thanks again for the confirmation, and sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Andrew, thanks for the response. Is there new or updated documentation that details some of the new capabilities? It's really frustrating when something doesn't work the way the documentation says it should, and you spend time questioning whether you have a problem or not, whether you are doing something wrong or have something configured incorrectly. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but making EFIS's, GPS's and AP'S work together is difficult enough without trying to correct problems that don't exist. Please pass this sentiment on to the powers that be at BK/Honeywell that quality documentation is vitally important to many of us, who often times don't know a whole lot about how to make this stuff work together correctly. Thanks again for the confirmation, and sorry for the rant.

Honestly, TruTrak wasn't the best about tracking which software versions of which products went with which manuals, as many different software versions were compatible with many different hardware versions.

I will see what I can round up for you.

Does your autopilot have an EFIS button? A blue screen? I am finding where we used EXT LS VS for the EFIS specific autopilot systems (AF Pilot and GX Pilot), but I actually don't see it in any of the Digiflight II users manuals. These updates were done years ago (10 years).

Last edited:
Andrew,
I just typed a PM but not sure it went through. I do not wish to high jack this thread but I am having an issue with my Vision A/P. Would you let me know if you received it? If not, let me know and I can resend my info.

Thanks

Andrew,
I just typed a PM but not sure it went through. I do not wish to high jack this thread but I am having an issue with my Vision A/P. Would you let me know if you received it? If not, let me know and I can resend my info.

Thanks

I got it Steve...I will reply to your PM.

Digiflight II VSGV

Andrew, my unit has a blue screen but does not have an EFIS button. It has a MODE button on the left, a knob in the center and an ALT button on the right. It looks nearly identical to the TT xCruze 100 2". When initially powered up it displays "D-IIR VSGV V2.34".

Thanks

Last edited:
Back