What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitch Servo

rv8or

Well Known Member
Question
Anyone changed the pitch servo on an RV8 from a Trutrak to a Garmin GSA28, what differences in mounting from the original Trutrak mount.

Thanks in advance
Rob

Yep. Removed all of the tru trak mounting hardware and installed the GSA Mounting kit from Garmin. However, according to a rather popular panel builder that advertises on this website. The bolt patterns for the servos themselves are identical.

The shop that did the work on my airplane was not particularly impressed with the original install. They opted to replace.

Here is the after. My apologies, I do not seem to have any before images.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_8987.jpg
    IMG_8987.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8988.jpg
    IMG_8988.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_8989.jpg
    IMG_8989.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8990.jpg
    IMG_8990.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8991.jpg
    IMG_8991.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 152
Looking at the forward bolt on the link coming from the servo, it appears that there are quite a few threads showing. Just need to make sure that the nut isn't "bottomed out" on the bolt shoulder.

Shop Info

Could you pass along the name of the shop who did the work? I have some questions about the mechanical part of the install. Thanks!

Looking at the forward bolt on the link coming from the servo, it appears that there are quite a few threads showing. Just need to make sure that the nut isn't "bottomed out" on the bolt shoulder.

That bolt is too long. The extra AN960 washer hides that fact somewhat...

Could you pass along the name of the shop who did the work? I have some questions about the mechanical part of the install. Thanks!

Terry, I will PM you and we can discuss further. If I am unable to answer your questions, I can contact the shop for you. I was involved near daily with the install.

After consulting a few in the know, including the installer (A&P/IA), and another builder. They seem to think it's okay. It could, probably should, and likely will be changed, but is not really a major issue.

I'll check the bolt when I get the airplane back from it's current work card. These pictures are from early in the process, thus absence of wiring. It may have already been reconciled as it was not noticed by the A&P/IA Builder that just completed the Condition Inspection.

I think the pictures are a bit mis leading. Likely that was the original bolt from the Tru Trak install. Thank you for pointing it out. Back to answering for the OP.

Last edited:
Back