What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated pitot retrofit

Mtherr

Well Known Member
Patron
I am considering replacing the Vans pitot by a heated probe. I read some threads about this but the usual location does not appear to be practical on my 6A. My tie down attachment is just outboard of the inspection panel and already interferes with the current Pitot (I have to remove the pitot to jack the aircraft).

I am thinking of installing it on the other side of the inspection panel below the aileron bell crank. Anyone installed it there? Does the bracket really need to be fixed to the rib? (Which is far and the wrong way).

Any other idea?

Seems doable to mount it more inbound as long as it can be assured to not interfere with the bell crank. I was thinking of mounting mine on a piece of angle aluminum screwed/riveted longitudinally across the inspection panel with a hole in the inspection panel for the mast base.

Unsure, but I think there is a rib right in the middle of the area behind the inspection panel on my aircraft... I would have to look again.

Back