What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PnP Four Dogs from KFXE to KLAL

dmaib

Well Known Member
Mary and I flew down to Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport for a Pilots n Paws trip on Monday. We picked up an adult female German Shepherd, a four month old male Shepherd, A King Charles Spaniel, and a Maltese mix. We moved these rescue dogs to Lakeland FL on a beautiful FL afternoon. World Jet, Inc. at KFXE were very helpful and extended an offer for 10 cents a gallon off the posted price for any Pilots n Paws trips. Talk to Danielle at the desk, or Donnie, the VP of operations. Good folks.

Can you provide details on the loading/crating/seat removal? I just provided pics of my setup in a 6A. I can't carry the size dogs you did.

Good Job

Way to go, David! I keep saying RV's make the best PnP transport vehicles. Right now I am transporting in my C172 and the most I have carried is two Boston Terriers. I am just now figuring out how to maximize the number of pet crates in my back seat and baggage area for future flights.

Most of the requests I have seen on the PnP request board are for "onesies" or "twosies." I have seen several of considerable distance I would commit to if I had my RV ready to fly.

Thanks for flying this mission and thanks for posting. Do you have any photos of these dogs?

Best wishes,
Don

We did not manage to get any meaningful pictures on this trip. We usually do a much better job with the camera, but not this time.

I take both back seats clear out. That is about a 90 second job on the RV-10 versus a half day on the old Bonanza we used to fly!:)
I have one large crate that I sit in front of the seat back cross bar, in the back seat area. I then have two medium size crates that I put in the baggage area. One more small crate goes on top of one of the medium crates. The problem with this setup is that the large crate has to be in the airplane before you put the dog in it. So, getting a large dog through the baggage door and into the kennel can be a problem. The German Shepherd on Monday was not too keen on getting in the crate once we got her in the airplane. But, we prevailed. Same when it was time to get out. She was a little shy. The last time we had a big dog it was a male Black and Tan Coon Hound and he was traveling by himself.
Mary and I discussed it yesterday and have about decided we are not going to volunteer for large dogs any more. It is hard on the dogs getting them in and out through the baggage door, and the chance of doing some damage to the airplane seems probable. I know some pilots are OK with flying dogs without using crates, but we are not comfortable doing that. But, we think we can pretty easily get four medium size crates in the airplane.

I took two coon hounds from Merrit Island to Quincy, Fl without crates. I would not advise doing that. I took a 100 Pound hound, I think, without a crate but I had his harness hooked to the seat belt in the back. That worked great. I also carried six beagles puppies on that trip (they were in a crate) and all seven dogs were on the two back seats. Big plane. Small world.

There is a PnP post that offers crates. Then local rescue folks may have extra as well.

Animal Rescue via RV

Hello all. I fly a RV-6A out of Lumberton, Ms. 4R1 and am a member of PnP. I took part in the New Orleans Rescue a couple of weeks ago and have also made 2 additional trips from S. Louisiana to Marianna, Fla. in the last two weeks. There are many animals in the New Orleans and surrounding area that need transport and the folks at Lakeland SPCA seem to be able to get quite a few adopted. By the time I fly the 80 to 100 or so miles from 4R1 to New Orleans or New Iberia or Reserve, La., it is too long a trip to make Lakeland, so I would like to meet some Florida area pilots who would be willing to meet in N.W. or Central Florida to relay to Lakeland or other areas. Thanks to all who spend their time and money doing these transports. I have some flying friends who just can't understand. The animals do, and thats all that I need. Thanks, Bob.

Back