What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

test run.....at home

Nice!

Though wouldn't that be quite the insurance call... "Umm, state farm, I flew my wingless plane into my garage and tore through the kitchen..." :)

Congrats!!! So satisfying when the Lycosaurus first coughs to life. The purple paint looks awesome...now that the engine runs, the "EKG" graphics have new meaning. :D

Didn't you get the memo - you can't run your engine without the wings because the plane will oscillate, the gear will collapse and it will just roll over. It's true - I saw it on the internet!!!!!! LOL

Nice looking paint!!

Thanks all, now to sell that car or boat to pay for the rest of the Dynon stuff. Very happy with the EFII system, would have started in 1.5 seconds but I had the throttle open.....OPPS! Robert at EFII has awesome products and support! just noticed, check out the gal across the street walking into her house......(nothing to see here, move along. Just Bret with another hot rod engine thing......wait, is that a Prop) ?

One thing I discovered after painting this, was that a metallic paint will appear to be a lighter color in the sun than it will in low light, I like the look of this paint at dusk, but I would have liked to have gone to a darker purple, playing with saturation and other stuff, this is what it looks like in low light.....O well, it is what it is,

RV%207a_zpslyaxtnvy.jpg

I don't know what it is, but that engine/prop combo sure sounds *awesome* ... that's what I noticed most, right after I went "woha, nice paint!" :)

A standout project

At first I was afraid that I was going to see a video similar to the famous Lancair wingless engine run on YouTube. :eek: Your project sounds and looks awesome Bret. :):)
Your post is a real motivator. Got to ask, did you paint it yourself and what kind of paint did you use? :confused: Sure looks like it came out of one of those high priced $$$$ professional paint shops.:D:D:D

At first I was afraid that I was going to see a video similar to the famous Lancair wingless engine run on YouTube. :eek: Your project sounds and looks awesome Bret. :):)
Your post is a real motivator. Got to ask, did you paint it yourself and what kind of paint did you use? :confused: Sure looks like it came out of one of those high priced $$$$ professional paint shops.:D:D:D

O ya, the infamous Lancair vid, had nothing to do with no wings but everything to do with the collapse of a gear leg..... :eek: Paint was Dupont base clear, Chromabase, I think that name changed? lots of sanding, do overs, flaws, but ok for me, not perfect in any way but I am so done with the painting at home thing.

Purple

"Fire in the hole"??? You must be a miner :)
I think I'm going to strip my red paint and blend up some of that purple. That is so cool. Thought you were going to drag the Chevelle down the street.

Last edited:
Not without the wings on!

Vans was somwhere writing that you should not do this, because the wings act as mass dampener, also you should installed the rear baggage compartment wall due to structural integrity. There is a lot of twisting on such a fuselage.

Think about the gear-weldment ... the bolts that carry most of the load ar the wing-bolts ...

Upto you, nice paint, great milestone, congratulation!

Cool video but too much risk for me. There are at least a half dozen things that could have gone wrong there that thankfully did not.

For me the juice is not worth the squeeze....

But hey, if they had at least it would have been on video and most likely would have gone viral.... :p

The paint is awesome!

Vans was somwhere writing that you should not do this, because the wings act as mass dampener, also you should installed the rear baggage compartment wall due to structural integrity. There is a lot of twisting on such a fuselage.

Think about the gear-weldment ... the bolts that carry most of the load ar the wing-bolts ...

Upto you, nice paint, great milestone, congratulation!
Yip, rear wall and gear bolts were installed. As far as dampen, this thing runs smooth as silk with EFII ;-)

engine run

Got to autozone get oil temp and pressure and amp meter hand held GPS install wings and tail go fly that's all my champ had and I flew it all over the country.
Bob

Back