What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bellcrank to Aileron push-tube - Fix it or Build on?

ERushing

Well Known Member
I think I know the answer to this but I'm getting so close to finishing the wings, I thought I'd ask the braintrust. I'll likely ask Vans on Monday before re-ordering parts.

C916C481-7FEB-46B5-A6E3-05EB62C043A1_zpsbojemn9d.jpg

Somehow, when drilling the #30 holes in the pushbutton, I got this one outlier. Missed the pilot hole. I'm drilling in a V-block with a drill press and the work clamped. All the other holes worked out just fine. The Rod end looks just fine.

Re-do or build on?
Thanks!

If three of the four holes on this one end are good, I'd proceed as is. You have more than adequate edge distance.

As option, you could drill out the one bad hole to 3/16" and use a AN470AD6 rivet.

Carl

I'd think it would be fine, but another option would be to have it welded. I know it was optional on the Rv-9. Not sure about the 10 though.

Last edited:
at the finish line

We all certainly have these moments you are going through now. A part with two rivets, and it moves all the time, and is key to sustaining flight...a week, a few dollars, and some re-tasking in the project agenda, I would not even think twice about a re-do myself. At the end as we finish parts & plane always the best time for the most critical review (as you are doing).

Yeah... I had to redo a couple bad rivets and when I did I buggered up the cosmetics as well as being worried about this hole. I've already re-ordered parts this morning.

I'd rather have a very, very short list of "I wonder ifs" when I make that first flight... preferably zero.

Back