What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N25DV is moving out of PA :(

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Moving to Maine, I recently took a new job in Bangor ME. Peg and I will be relocating in the next few weeks. I am looking for a new home for N25DV, she may need to stay in PA until spring when they start new T-hangers at Old Town (KOLD) or Hancock County - Bar harbor (KBHB). It is going to be tough to leave our good friends in PA, NJ,& MD, we have a very strong and tight knit flying community. I’m going to miss the flights on weekends for breakfast and the great fly-ins in the area.

It looks like the Vans community is a little light in Maine, but hope to find a few RVrs in the area. The good news, we moving to a house on the lake with a great view, about 40 min from Bar Harbor. I am sure most of the guys will be visiting after the winter – LOL.

Also Vlad you have an invite for the guest house anytime :D

Last edited:
And I didn't Puke!

Hi David,
Thank you for the wonderful ride to Sky manor to collect yet another show trophy for N25DV.I really enjoyed the flight as they are far and few between.
This was my first flight in a 12 and what an enjoyable ship it is,and as the title suggests,I didn't puke!Your a true inspiration to us would-be builder/RV pilots in the area,known for your generosity and fine Texas Barbecue as well as lending a helping hand to those in need,You will be greatly missed Sir,Thank You
RHill

OK now I'll puke!:D

My sister is an ATC up in that area. I hit her up about hangar space on email and will call her if I don't hear anything soon.

RV networking... Don't think it can be beat with any other community.

Thanks Doug :D

Last edited:
Update on the move

Great friends and RVrs, we had a get together @ Al and Barb?s before we head to Maine. Today finished packing the hanger for the moving truck. I can?t believe how much I collected over the past years building and storing stuff.

party 20141026 -02.jpg

party 20141026 -03.jpg

party 20141026 -04.jpg

party 20141026 -06.jpg

party 20141026 -08.jpg

Large card signed by everyone, nice personal touch - going to miss them all. I will have to make a lot of flights back to PA or at least half way for the $100 burger.

party 20141026 -09.jpg

Packing and cleaning the hanger, second trip to stage in the garage for the moving truck.

party 20141026 -10.jpg

N25DV hasn't seen the hanger this clean in a while :rolleyes:

al 2014-09-23.jpg

She will be in great company with Al's Sweet RV8 until I can a find hanger in Maine :D

Nice picture Governor with all your lieutenants. What airport you said? KOLD?
Let us know when you are established on the job and we will flash mob you :D

party%2020141026%20-06.jpg

You will be living by a lake right? After Xmas when ice is at least 12 inches plow a strip for me at least 12 feet wide and 900 long. I'll stop by for a cup of tea. Just make it as straight as you can :D

Vlad, that is what Mark said, clear a strip the the tractor / blower. The house is on Branch lake east of Bangor.

See you soon :D

It looks like a beautiful place in Vacationland. Do what Mark said and we will come. Happy vacationing :)

Does Maine even know they are getting another Governor or are you going to spring it on them this weekend? It took a bit longer than I predicted for this to make it to VAF.

Welcome!

Dave, welcome to New England! I used to live in southern Maine, but am now just north of Boston in MA. Looking forward to getting to know you. Looks like you will be trying to find a hangar at the Bar Harbor airport or Bangor. I wish I could help, but I only know people to the south.

Best of luck. Look up Nick Knobil when you settle in. He is the RV ambassador down in Wiscasset.

Grass OK?

A buddy of mine who lives in Bangor and flies 747s has been trying to get me to buy land up his way for a while. 9 days ago he sent me a link to this auction site:
http://www.tranzon.com/search.aspx
which at the time was selling 1 acre lots on Peasley Field (Private-0ME4), which looks to be only about 6-8 miles NE of your new location. Apparently the auction was taken down, but might be worth sniffing around if you're interested in grass.

I know Vlad will visit more if you are based on grass.;)

Dave, welcome to New England! I used to live in southern Maine, but am now just north of Boston in MA. Looking forward to getting to know you. Looks like you will be trying to find a hangar at the Bar Harbor airport or Bangor. I wish I could help, but I only know people to the south.

Best of luck. Look up Nick Knobil when you settle in. He is the RV ambassador down in Wiscasset.

Good news I found 2 RVr's in ME :D Look forward to meeting you and Nick

Welcome Dave

Hi Dave,

You may want to check in at Belfast (KBST) Our EAA chapter is #1434

There are multiple RV's based there. 2 flying and a -12 under construction.

Dave,
Ditto what Andy said about Belfast, but to be truthful we have three RV's based here, two 7A's and my 9A. The twelve under construction could use some inspirational flying time in a 12.....
Anyway, welcome to Maine and you will love the flying here! Please drop in to see us!

If you have any leads on a hanger PM me. I have my name on the list for a new one in Old Town, but need something for the winter till they are built in spring. Happy to share with someone maybe a highwing

Looking forward to meeting you guys and when the 12 gets there plenty rides for motivation. :)

visit to Belfast

Peter and Andy will you guys be around the airport Sat mid morning? I will be in the area and can stop by.

Hope to meet you

Update

For my friends a little update - Made it to Maine and had a welcome snow storm a week ago.

Maine-001.jpg

Maine-003.jpg

The good news I found a future home. Great guys at Belfast, not sure why the welcomed me :rolleyes:

Last night I went to their EAA chapter and joined. Small group but an active chapter. Looks like there will be 5 RV's on the field soon.:D

Lots of questions about what the guys in PA, I lied and didn't tell any stories except about Vlad. They did ask if I knew the infamous one - not sure why :confused:

I did say Vlad would be gracing us with a visit sometime next year along with the other cast of characters from the PA area

The EAA meeting was in Peter's hanger, He's got a nice RV12.

Maine-006.jpg

Maine-008.jpg

Maine-009.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome - Peter, Mike, Andy, Duke and the rest of the EAA 1434 members

Last edited:
"Yup" that's Maine weathah. Been there. Done that. AS they say, "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute". Of course, a minute later you might be thinking "I wish I had the weather from a minute ago!"

We'll have to see what we can do about overrunning your new home base with RVs.

Hi Dave. Saw that weather and thought how long it would b before u strapped a set of skis on ur 12😃

See you in the spring!

I left weather like that back in Canada 17 years ago ... will be up to visit when it turns green again. We'll miss you at SkyManor David.

Pennsylvania's loss is Maine's gain, welcome David to Maine and we will hopefully soon find you a hangar space in Belfast so you can bring your beautiful 12 home to roost.
As far as the recent early snow storm goes, we here in Maine are kinda the exhaust pipe of the nation, so thanks to everyone else for sending it our way.....
What a mess here, but the nice flying days have returned, for a little while!

David glad you found a good company!

Maine-003.jpg

It's still warm in your native Pennsylvania. As seen yesterday...

Governor Valcik how you hear? Any updates? 25DV hasn't been in the sky for 117 days! We are missing your videos :)

Vlad thanks for reminding the days since I have had her up :(. The Guys in PA keep sending me pics of her tucked in the warm hanger. It is still snowing in ME and I stopped counting at 75 + inches in the last 45 days :rolleyes:

But still having fun up here and can't wait to get 25DV up to KBST. I take possession of a heated hanger March 1. That Sunday I'll start hauling tools out to the hanger to begin setting up the man cave.

I did officially become a resident, paid the taxes, got my drivers license and registered the truck.

ME lic.jpg

We will have a fly-in cookout at the hanger this summer.

Last edited:
Congratulations David! On hangar, truck and Maine citizenship! Glad to see your APRS track today. Cookout in the summer? Everybody does that. Do it on Xmas! :D

Congratulations David! On hangar, truck and Maine citizenship! Glad to see your APRS track today. Cookout in the summer? Everybody does that. Do it on Xmas! :D

Vlad not my tracks - I got a text From Mark S with a pic stating "Marks flying it like he stole it" :) The usual cast of characters when for lunch and Mark B was flying her to get familiar with the instruments, before he flys her up here. So i quickly looked up the APRS on my iPhone and she was in the air.

Mark-aprs.jpg

Vlad don't touch the yellow handle

David I vacation in ME for two weeks every year unfortunately wo my 7A.
I may be calling you for a flying fix in July ! I trust the snow will be gone by then.

The Eagle has landed in Maine!

Mark B delivered Dave's -12 to him in Belfast, ME.

Lunch half way in 2 weeks!

Mark Delivering N25DV

Who is at the helm?

Mark B was kind enough to fly the RV12 to Maine on good day

Mark had a great day to fly, it was cool, low winds, and great visiblity. A few pics of Mark arriving to KBST before tucking her in for the night in the Hanger.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Thanks again to Mark B for bring 25DV up with short notice of a great weather window. Now she is out of the hanger in KPTW we expect Al to finsh that 8 and fly it in 45 day :D

Last edited:
Very nice glad to hear Governor! Mark B surely can fly straight I wish I possess the skill. Beautiful hangar! When is the party? :D

Vlad come visit

Very nice glad to hear Governor! Mark B surely can fly straight I wish I possess the skill. Beautiful hangar! When is the party? :D

BST is planning a RV a flyin for this summer, we wil also will get together in New Hamshire soon for lunch.

Also Vlad when did you need a formal invite :eek:

BST is planning a RV a flyin for this summer, we wil also will get together in New Hamshire soon for lunch.

Also Vlad when did you need a formal invite :eek:

When is the RV Flyin at KBST planned? We own property on Cape Jellison and will be visiting sometime in June to prep it for sale and enjoy a basket of Fried Steamers at Just Barb's. We may even fly the -10 if the stars align. ;)
PS: Your luckier than a dog with 2 peters living there!

Whoa! How did you know we do have two Peters with RV's in Belfast? My 9A and Peter Tranchell's sweet 7A! And now with David's 12 calling it home we have the makings for a squadron....
Hope to see you there some day.

When is the RV Flyin at KBST planned? We own property on Cape Jellison and will be visiting sometime in June to prep it for sale and enjoy a basket of Fried Steamers at Just Barb's. We may even fly the -10 if the stars align. ;)
PS: Your luckier than a dog with 2 peters living there!

David, I have the dog, Kizer the lab that visits the airport on occasion,

Whoa! How did you know we do have two Peters with RV's in Belfast? My 9A and Peter Tranchell's sweet 7A! And now with David's 12 calling it home we have the makings for a squadron....
Hope to see you there some day.

So we are lucky @ KBST!

As soon as we get closer to finalizing a date I will start a new thread announcing the RV fly-in

David if you are in the area before the fly-in shoot me an email and stop by.

Dave,

Good to see your ship has landed! As I believe Duke may have mentioned to the group my job has taken me to Massachusetts during the week so I miss all the good fun! It was a nice surprise to see my home field on the front page today. Hope all is well and your getting settled.

Hi to the Gang, will try to make a meeting in the next few months or stop in on a Saturday.

Flying this weekend

Weather was nice in Maine today and I got my out and explored the area north west of Belfast ME. (KBST) About an hour flight temp was -3 C, winds 7 kts, and great visibility.

bst 032715.jpg

bst 032715_03.jpg

bst 032715_05.jpg

bst 032715_07.jpg

bst 032715_08.jpg

bst 032715_10.jpg

img_0080.png

Video posted on youtube http://youtu.be/q0e12fMptB4

Thanks again Mark for bringing my 12 up last week.

Last edited:
Back