What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Install - Floating Connectors Interfere

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Installed my wings for the first time yesterday. At first we were not able to get the wing all the way in. We needed to go in about another 1/4" to get the spar pins inserted.

We checked clearances all around the wing root and spar area, made a few minor adjustments but still no joy. Once we unscrewed the bracket that holds the blue Floating Connector in place, the wing went right in with no problem.

While the connector was in place, it lined up perfectly - the wing and fuselage halves of the connector were mating up. The connectors appeared to be fully engaged. It seems that the connectors are too close to each other.

I am using the hex stand-offs on the wing root and the bracket mounted to the floor - positioned as specified in the plans.

Anybody else had this problem? Any ideas for a fix?

Installed my wings for the first time yesterday. At first we were not able to get the wing all the way in. We needed to go in about another 1/4" to get the spar pins inserted.

We checked clearances all around the wing root and spar area, made a few minor adjustments but still no joy. Once we unscrewed the bracket that holds the blue Floating Connector in place, the wing went right in with no problem.

While the connector was in place, it lined up perfectly - the wing and fuselage halves of the connector were mating up. The connectors appeared to be fully engaged. It seems that the connectors are too close to each other.

I am using the hex stand-offs on the wing root and the bracket mounted to the floor - positioned as specified in the plans.

Anybody else had this problem? Any ideas for a fix?

I remember having a similar situation but only on one wing. turned out that the connector on the fuselage had to be turned 180 deg. Was easy to fix, hope you are in the same case.

I had a similar problem but on mine, the corner of the connector was catching on the corner of the fuselage plate. I had to enlarge the opening to allow the connector to fully seat.

I was warned prior to installation to make sure the connectors were oriented properly so that has been an issue as well.

In that general area. After cutting all wing wiring according to the plans, I have about 10inches of extra wire. Have others trimmed back to suit the connectors, or somehow stashed that extra wire for some rainy day:confused:
DaveH

Dave-

I made a service loop with all the excess wiring and used a couple of 1/2" long pieces of vinyl tubing to create standoffs to keep the wire loop from chafing on surrounding surfaces. If you look closely in the following photo to the right and below the black connector for the headset audio and to the right of the center line of the lightening hole ... you can see that there is a wire tie going around the wires and through a piece of vinyl tubing used as a standoff. The blue connector’s excess wire was tied down onto that existing loop.
DSC08692.JPG

Happy building,

Last edited:
Forget the wire loop. Just look at those beautiful CS4 rivets all around! Did you do that on the wings too? This will look even greater when painted! Kudos!!

Yes, flush rivets

Torsten - I'm building as EAB ... So yes, the DOG Aviation RV-12 is all flush rivets, wings included. (Although the retrofit on the bottom of the wings will likely leave some bumps for the large rivet heads).

Did not use CS4-4's except in the longerons. My Van's LP4-3 were manufactured my Gespia ... so I used the flush Gespia version which has the same length, grip range and specifications as the low dome version.

For anyone interested the Gespia flush rivet part number is GSMC41-43APG.

What Van's calls the LP4-3 is Gespia part number GSMD41-43APG. Same part number same specs ... except D in the part number denotes a domed head and C denotes countersunk head.

Jean-Pierre nailed it. Even though I was "sure" that I had installed the connectors correctly, I had both sides 180 degrees out.

Once I flipped one of the connectors upside down (one on each side) the wings went right in.

During my initial wing fitting, I just unscrewed the brackets from the floor in order to get around the problem. Did some additional troubleshooting today and finally figured it out.

I have to give credit to my Bro' (Walt), he was instrumental helping solve the problem.

I started my RV-12 after three other projects. My experience with them was when things didn't work - improvise! With Vans if it didn't work I was doing something wrong! That was a paradigm shift!

I put my wings on for the first time a few days ago. I had significant interference between the top of the spars and the top of the rectangular opening on the side skin on both sides (maybe 1/16 inch), and a little interference on the bottom wing skins near the spars. A few minutes with a file took care of that. After that, the blue wiring connectors slid right in without hesitation. The skin interference issue is my fault. Vans get credit for the connectors. In my case there was no inherent problem with the connector fit. There are mistakes in the KAI, but I don't think this is one of them.

Back