What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Fuel

dwschaefer

Can’t figure out where else to post this! I’ve got 15-20 gal of old 100LL (too old to fly with) I can’t figure out how to get rid of. Anyone got any ideas? In Kansas City area.

Thanks…
DWS

Around here, unused gasoline has to be disposed of at a hazardous waste facility. Our local sanitary landfill has a "hazardous waste disposal" day twice a month in the summer/fall, closed in winter. Here, it's free. Other places tend to require a fee.

Lawn mowers and stuff

I run 100LL in my lawn equipment,mowers,weedeaters,chainsaws,log splitter you name it. Never gums up over winter,ect...and both my Harleys..they love it.

Assuming that it is really too old to use (AVGAS lasts a LONG time…..), try calling your local volunteer fire department - they might have a place they store flammable for future use in training burns….. at least we used to way back in the day! It was a good way to get rid of stuff no one wanted dumped in the creek!

Paul

Burn it!

Yes, as mentioned already run it some farm equipment or motorcycle or anything w/o a catalytic converter. It's great stuff and the equipment will love it. Find some farmer to help you if necessary.

Old 100LL

I bought a dormant Warrior, tanks were half full- was told it sat for 13 years- lawnmower never complained!

I worked on a project plane for 5 years with 10 gallons of 100LL in each tank the whole time. When the plane was returned to service, I used the fuel to do ground runs and 2 hours of flight. The fuel looked good as new and there were no issues with the fuel system or engine running. Yes, 100LL is extremely more stable than auto gas.

you may dispose of it in my 68 fiberglass bodied chevy, it disposes of it very well. :)

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I ran a generator on 100LL. After 10-15 gallons, it started to misfire under high load. Run a few gallons of regular car gas and it cleared right up. My theory is the lead was causing issues with the spark plug. The regular gasoline allowed the lead to burn off and clear the misfire.

Engine tolerated 100LL in small doses, but wasn't happy about it after a while. If I had 20 gallons to dispose of, I'd alternate fillups with regular gas to keep things from fowling up.

Race track

Second anything without a CAT.
Take it to a race track. They will fight over it. Many teams would buy 100LL and bring 5gal tanks. Race cars and motorcycles.

Lawn Mower. Friend's old motorcycle. 1969 Mustang convertible.

Or anything without a catalytic converter that will eat leaded fuel. :) 100LL is pretty darn stable and lasts a long time. I'd worry more about contamination than age when it comes to putting it into a non-airplane engine.

Back