What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it best not to own if I can’t find hangar space?

Duncannon

Ok, this ‘hangaring vs. non-hangaring’ topic has been done to death, and I know it’s always best to keep an aircraft hangared if possible. Not only does it protect from elements and bad weather, but it can also affect resale value and even insurance, if I’m not mistaken.

However, if it’s not possible to find hangar rent available, due to unavailability or overpriced rent (usually both), is it best not to own at all? While most pilots would argue it’s mandatory to keep an airplane sheltered, there are others who have kept there planes on the ramp for many years and there aircraft seem to hold up just fine. They wax regularly, use aircraft covers, and most importantly, they fly the thing . Though to be fair, they weren’t RV owners.

In a separate question, is letting an RV sit on the ramp for a year or two until hangar space becomes available an unacceptable idea? It’d be my luck to be on a waiting list, see several good deals go by, then when I’m finally on top of the list, can’t find any good RVs for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it’s always best to keep an aircraft hangared if possible. Not only does it protect from elements and bad weather, but it can also affect resale value and even insurance, if I’m not mistaken.

These things are true; but, it's also true, that hangars are expensive. I attempted a strictly dollars and cents analysis, and concluded that having a hangar was slightly cheaper than a tie down, but only because I do all the maintenance and inspections (and these are difficult to do without a hangar). If you intend to turn over all maintenance (I note you are not a builder) to the local FBO, a tie-down may be over-all less expensive. As long as you can stomach putting "your baby" outside in the cold and rain.

These things are true; but, it's also true, that hangars are expensive. I attempted a strictly dollars and cents analysis, and concluded that having a hangar was slightly cheaper than a tie down, but only because I do all the maintenance and inspections (and these are difficult to do without a hangar). If you intend to turn over all maintenance (I note you are not a builder) to the local FBO, a tie-down may be over-all less expensive. As long as you can stomach putting "your baby" outside in the cold and rain.

I am not a builder or a mechanic. Dealing with cowl & cockpit covers, waxing more often, and checking for bird droppings would be an added chore, but could it work if I’m willing to go the extra mile?

I am not a builder or a mechanic. Dealing with cowl & cockpit covers, waxing more often, and checking for bird droppings would be an added chore, but could it work if I’m willing to go the extra mile?

Of course it can work. There are thousand of 172's that have spent their lives outdoors, and, were never primed at all inside. (If possible it may be preferable to search for an airplane which has been primed and/or painted on the inside as well as out).

A bit off topic but still pertains to the question. I myself would not own an aircraft if I had to go to the airport to fly. I know I am very fortunate to have planes, hangar and a strip. But you who fly off airports cannot know the pleasure of looking out the window at your home and five minutes after deciding to go fly be airborne. Then three minutes after landing be back in your house. I know I am fortunate.
So back to the question, with all the extra care to your tied down aircraft and extra time untying, uncovering and extra inspection for damage ,l will the desire to fly be there as often. Maybe at first but I suspect it will diminish quickly. It breaks my heart to see aircraft tied outside year round and yes yours too Vlad old buddy ( miss you on the east coast).

I know of an RV-4 that has been tied down outside at PATK (Talkeetna) for a few years. I believe it is flying regularly. I've been told the builder/owner is very meticulous. So, its gotta be doable.
51347524000_2e73a4a7de_z.jpg

Last edited:
I see no problem tying down outside at least around here. 5 to 10 years will pay for a nice new paint job. Thousands of planes have never seen a hangar since the day they were built and they are till holding up 40 to 50 years later.

Where are you in Georgia? I might try and find a local ag spraying base. They might have hangar space and a runway you can use.

Good Luck

Edit-

Pehaps try contacting Pierre Smith in Louisville GA. You can search for him on this forum on many threads.
He may have some good ideas for you or be able to help.

Last edited:
Vlad really should chime in. When I still lived in NJ I would occasionally taxi past his RV-9 covered in a 1/4in of ice or a couple of inches of snow... . So it clearly can be done.

I had a Piper J3 we kept outside for a couple of years. Money wise it was cheaper then a hangar even though I didn't do my own maintenance at that point. However, we did have more downtime and issues. From the regular birds nest in the engine which needed removing over leather control cable covers coming off to some steel tubes corroding through which needed to be replaced. So more days I drove to the airport without flying. When I built my own RV I just couldn't bring myself of keeping it outside ... .

Oliver

I do keep my RV outside for nearly a decade. Not painted and not primed. I don't care about resale my airplane has no financial value. What I care about is my old 5K engine (has to be sparkling clean) and controls (free and light). I have no expensive avionics and I fly behind a wood prop. I recently went self insured.

Sleet and ice was a problem on East Coast but only for a day. Next day you scrape/melt it and go flying :)

Here in Intermountain West there is another plague a very fine Wyoming dust. It's a sandy clayish substance it gets everywhere. Good canopy cover should be tight otherwise dust rubs the plexi.

Oh I forgot the main thing I fly nearly everyday...

PS Good thinking here in your quote

... However, if it’s not possible to find hangar rent available, due to unavailability or overpriced rent (usually both), is it best not to own at all?

storm.jpg

2267D218-83DB-48DD-89BE-FCDC0C298228.jpeg

Does it hail where you are based?

I'd have a hard time sleeping every night there's a big TS if so...

Being outside is doable depending on the climate. My biggest worry would be doing maintenance where you can't open up the airplane and work on it for days. Having a hangar is definitely my greatest expense, but it is nice having a "man cave" where I can do my thing (aviation).

In a separate question, is letting an RV sit on the ramp for a year or two until hangar space becomes available an unacceptable idea? .

That is a lot like asking is it ok to mow the lawn in shorts and knee high black socks. You have to assess the risks and the rewards and make a decision that suits YOU. You should NOT be making that decision based upon what suits the opinion of folks on VAF.

A better question might be what are the downsides of keeping an RV on the ramp. It is certainly done. However, folks typically won't mention it here as they don't want the reaction that usually follows it. I have seen people here that seemingly won't fly to another location for a few days unless they can find a hanger to put it in. And there is Vlad.
Opinions exist on both extremes and everything in between.

I moved my 6A to the ramp when the 10 was finished and it sat on the ramp for 8 months initially waiting for a hanger. I don't care about resale value as I plan to give it to my son, who couldn't afford a hanger. Sure, that paint will fade faster, but savings will easily cover new paint, if I even care that the color changed a bit due to fading. Not sure I would do it if I paid $30K for a paint job. Modern paint can easily survive 2+ decades out in the elements. I can move it to my hanger for maintenance, but also do plenty of light maintenance on the ramp. I have an outlet 50' from the ramp spot. IMHO, a quality canopy cover is a MUST, as are devices to keep birds out of the cowl.

Larry

Last edited:

Occasionally, though not lately. But we do get thunderstorms regularly during the summer. There was also a Cessna 150 that got flipped near where I live (15J a.k.a. Adel, Ga). A tornado came through, though the twister itself did not hit the airport. The airplane was tied down with rope.

Non equity partnership....

Find someone with a box hangar that is open to having an RV in their hangar, for a fee, or as a partner....

I do keep my RV outside for nearly a decade. Not painted and not primed. I don't care about resale my airplane has no financial value. What I care about is my old 5K engine

This is quite enlightening and invigorating.
Vlad, can you comment on the condition of your plane: both airframe and engine?
When you say 5k engine, do you mean you've gone 5K since overhaul?
You specifically mention flying behind a wood prop... is it that a CS prop (either hydraulic or electirc) would fare less well in the elements?

I'm curious since when I finish my RV6 I may be faced with storing on the ramp as well.
Fortunately my local airport has a covered area for doing maintenance.

-c

It's doable.

I've parked my 6A on the ramp at BTR for 8 years. I pay nothing. I was able to get a Ramp pass to drive my truck and tools through the gate. I have an little 2000 watt generator for electricity when needed. I had moisture problems with the avionics until I started triple covering the canopy with a light weight cover topped with a little blue tarp topped by a heavy Bruce cover. I've been fortunate that there's been no hail. High wind flipped a couple of planes near mine but did not damage mine.

It's worked for me, but I'm willing and able to accept the risk. John

Ditto. Out here in the Rockies, Ive seen golfball sized hail do a serious number on hundreds of cars in the Los Alamos parking lot. No way would I not hangar a plane anywhere there could be such hail.

A plane may not have economic value, but it sure as heck has replacement value. ;)

Back