What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12is Performance

mags591

Hey Guys,
I am trying to choose a build option that fits my budget. I really like the RV-14a, but there are a few reasons that I don't think it will fit what I am looking for.

1) Its outside of my "comfortable" budget. Sure, I could probably force it to work, but it would be much less comfortable.

2) I am a huge fan of the rotax engines due to newer technology and the fadec system.

With that in mind, what is everyone seeing real world performance on an RV-12is in the following categories:
1) Cruise Speed (KTAS)
2) Fuel per hour

Also, could you comment if you have a 2 blade or 3 blade prop.

I appreciate all the input that you could provide.

Here is high econ cruise - two blade.

Attachments

• 12iS eng.jpg
    12iS eng.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 463
  • 12iS map.jpg
    12iS map.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 480
If you look at that picture again you will see the throttle is at 97%.
Depending on how much you push it up beyond econ, you can get 5 to 10 knots with fuel flow going up .5 to 1 gallon per hour - not a good tradeoff.

Last edited:
If you look at that picture again you will see the throttle is at 97%.
Depending on how much you push it up beyond econ, you can get 5 to 10 knots with fuel flow going up .5 to 1 gallon per hour - not a good tradeoff.

Alright. So help me out, what exactly is "eco" mode then? Are there other modes that you can select?

I believe everything is "ECO" until you get to 98-100% throttle position (past the detent on the throttle).

I have a fresh-out-of-the-builders-hangar 12iS.. so I still have a little fine tuning to do. Without a nosewheel pant, I was seeing:

I'd post my performance numbers, but none of the recent screenshots I took show me in perfectly level flight.

Econ mode is where the engine control unit mixes the fuel and air at the optimum ratio for efficiency. It is a function of the throttle setting only - no selection switches. Above 97% the fuel mixture is richer for full power climb.

Last edited:
Econ mode is where the engine control unit mixes the fuel and air at the optimum ratio for efficiency. It is a function of the throttle setting only - no selection switches. Above 97% the fuel mixture is richer for full power climb.

Ahhh, I understand! Thank you for the help!

The eco mode transition occurs at 98.2% throttle position. It is factory configured via software and can not be changed

The ideal set up is for the eco stop adjustment to be set per the manual (throttle hits the eco stop just prior to hitting the 98% throttle value) and the prop pitch setting to be such that with the throttle against the eco stop, the engine RPM is right about 5400.
This will produce TAS at altitude close to or right at 120 kts, burning about 3.5 - 3.7 GPH.

Note - % throttle should not be confused with % power.

I bought my RV-12iS with 17 hours on it. I’ve put about 100 hours on it. Two blade prop. I keep detailed fuel records. Over those 200 hours I’ve averaged 3.3 gph of 93E10. I’m typically at 1500-4500 MSL, 4800-5200 rpm. IAS typically 95-103 knots. No wheel pants.

Back