What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel bearing fun

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Man these wheels are really a PIA lol

First i had them assembled incorrectly, valve was pointed towards the inside of the rim. :eek: Changed it around and all was good.

Checked the toe/in out with the string and blocks the alignment was perfect, wont need any shims.:)

Went to put the wheels on and the bolts holding the axles to the gear leg rub against the inside bearing. See picture. I added a third washer on the backside and that pulled the bolt out enough so its not rubbing. Anyone else have this problem?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tA5uHgqUk1mZpYQd6

Also just noticed the washers under the axel nut are missing. The were supposed to come with the break/tire kit according to the plans. Just one more fing thing to resolve. I'm guessing I'll have to contact Matco for those

gear version?

Man these wheels are really a PIA lol

First i had them assembled incorrectly, valve was pointed towards the inside of the rim. :eek: Changed it around and all was good.

Checked the toe/in out with the string and blocks the alignment was perfect, wont need any shims.:)

Went to put the wheels on and the bolts holding the axles to the gear leg rub against the inside bearing. See picture. I added a third washer on the backside and that pulled the bolt out enough so its not rubbing. Anyone else have this problem?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tA5uHgqUk1mZpYQd6

Also just noticed the washers under the axel nut are missing. The were supposed to come with the break/tire kit according to the plans. Just one more fing thing to resolve. I'm guessing I'll have to contact Matco for those

What version MLG do you have, the old style, or the new Gun Drilled MLG?

I have the latest and greatest. I've been wondering how they ever drilled the gear legs! It seems like magic LOL.....;)

I checked and didn't see any plan revisions that changed anything.

FYI I received my finish kit late December (ordered Jul 3rd) and nose gear leg last week.

main gear axle nuts don't have washers

You probably have found this answer by now, but in case you haven't: contrary to the drawing in the KAI, the main gear axle nuts for my Matco wheels/axles do not have a separate washer. The nut is machined in such a way that the washer-like shape is incorporated into the nut. Concept similar to a washer-head screw. The Matco drawing that came with the wheel/axle assemblies shows it correctly, no washer.

Thx Charlie. Yes I called Matco and they said the same thing. LOL I also noticed in the instructions from Matco they don't list the washer. I'm so used to following the plans exactly that when something is amiss I automatically assume I did something wrong.

Back