What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

11 x 17 Binder

jsenft

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the manufacture and where to buy of the light blue binder used to hold the plans? I can find many other 11 x 17 binder but they all have metal tabs not the nylon tabs like the Vans binder.

A cheap and fast way to do an 11x17 binder is using two cheap regular binders, cut the covers of one and cobble them to the other to get the 11x17 format.

RV-12iS plans

I just received my wing kit and the plans did not come with another binder as I was expecting. My assumption is that Van's expects us to just keep adding plans to the existing binder, correct?

Seems like that slant-D ring binder someone mentioned above would be a better way to keep the drawings, anyone tried it, and did you use 1", 1.5", or 2"?

I picked up a 1" binder from good ole Amazon as well as a 17" clipboard. The technique here is to pull a page or two out of the binder and put it on the clipboard as work progresses....and when a page is complete, put it back in the binder. Works pretty nice as this gives me the ability to carry the clipboard around the shop as things go along. Also, at the pace that I'm moving, there's not a lot of page swapping going on!

Just another technique and 2 cents....

I just received my wing kit and the plans did not come with another binder as I was expecting. My assumption is that Van's expects us to just keep adding plans to the existing binder, correct?

Seems like that slant-D ring binder someone mentioned above would be a better way to keep the drawings, anyone tried it, and did you use 1", 1.5", or 2"?

I used a 11X17 slant-D ring. I have a 2" and have very little room left in it. There are more pages in the plans now, so get a 2" at least.

I have a 1-inch 11x17 D-ring binder. I like the smaller size, but I just keep the plans for the kit I'm currently working on in it. It's nice being able to take out the drawings as you need them.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, very helpful comments. I think I?m going to order a 2? and a 1? with the 2? being used for permanent storage of the entire set and the 1? being used for the specific kit I?m working on. Then when done it all gets archived in the 2? assuming they will all fit as Tony points out.

Does anyone know the manufacture and where to buy of the light blue binder used to hold the plans?

To answer the question asked by the OP ... Van's sells the binder for $11. The part number is Z0 Binder 11x17 Gray. I did try to find the binder covers locally and also on the Internet, but no joy ... so just ordered directly from Van's.

My RV-12 is completed and the cover was rather shabby looking so decided to pop for a new one from Van's.

There is a different way for those that do not want to deal with an ANSI "B" size folder (11x17). The "B" size drawings can be folded in a manner that they properly fit in an "A" size (8.5x11) binder.

I did a google search to find a representative image of the proper fold. For the "B" size drawings of this conversation, 2 folds are needed. Step 1 and Step 2 in the linked image.
3 Hole punch the left edge and off you go. For working drawings, its good to run strip of scotch tape on the left edge before punching.

https://www.archtoolbox.com/representation/graphic-symbols/foldlargedrawing.html

I imagine that I am not the only VAF member that spent many years in the long white sleeve shirt and tie engineering environment. How to format a drawing and then fold it such that all identification (title block etc) showed in a binder or file drawer was a required skill.

binder

I found a 2" slant D-ring at Office Depot. It just fits the entire package of drawings. Slant ring format that opens on the side saves a lot of wear on the holes in the sheets.

I made my own by tearing apart a cheap 8-1/2" x 11" binder and then riveting aluminum sheet with piano hinges and the d-ring from the small binder...

https://www.brunbergs.net/?p=133

wpid-20150419_154356-1024x576.jpg

Back